“Good hotel, great location”

QT Museum Wellington
Ranked #7 of 46 Hotels in Wellington
Moraira, Spain
“Good hotel, great location”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

We stayed here for a couple of nights in the apartment/residential block behind the hotel building. I understand that sometime in the past this particular part of the hotel was moved (on wheels & at great expense) from its original location on the other side of Cable Street where it had mistakenly been originally located.
We were accommodated on the sixth floor, which is about as low as you can get to still get a harbour view, which we paid for. The top floor rooms are presumably for long-stayers.
The rooms are good with all amenities except complimentary wifi - why on earth can a hotel provide an expresso machine, washer/drier, microwave, etc., etc., and yet not run to an in-tariff wireless router???? I object to paying for in-room internet access in this day and age - it's cynical and uncompetitive of the hotel to charge for what has become an everyday utility. "Free" wifi service in the lobby was worth every penny (ie: pretty poor).
And I agree with previous reviewers that applying a 3% surcharge for paying by credit card is unnecessary and totally guest-unfriendly, but I've seen this elsewhere in NZ unfortunately.
There is some art work displayed around the hotel, generally quite innocuous, except the MV Agustas, which I personally like the look of. The hotel is a bit idiosyncratic and with reasonable service levels but without particular charm unfortunately.
The concierge guys were few and far between but very helpful nevertheless when you found one.
The bar was good, but we didn't stay to dine at the Hippopotamus restaurant although our friends did and reported positively, plus that it wasn't as expensive as anticipated.

Room Tip: See if you can get above the 6th floor on the residence/apartment block!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
museumh, Owner at QT Museum Wellington, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Thank you for your detailed revue of our hotel. . I want to address one issue you raised. Our charging for in-room Internet services. Our policy is to set fees which broadly cover our costs, in the same way we do for telephone services. We could include these costs in our tarrif but we feel that would disadvantage our many guests who don't use the Internet. Guests from overseas often don't appreciate the outrageously high prices we have to pay the Telcos for Internet services. As cost reduce, so do I reduce our charges. Presently these are among the lowest of hotels in Wellington.
We do offer free Wifi in the lobby, and following another guest comment have recently increased the speed of this dramatically. It just goes to show that tripadvisor reviews do have an effect.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (369)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed February 6, 2013

6th February is a public holiday in NZ so looked for a deal through a local website (Travelbug) and Museum Hotel was the only one with a guaranteed harbour view at a reasonable enough price, so we went for it.

The room ended up being quite large, and the balcony is also very large, with the view as promised. The minibar has more items than you can imagine. We made use of the CD player and the Sky Movies and Sports channels. The bathroom was lovely, and had separate bath and shower. Check out was 11am which is much nicer than 10am which tends to be the standard time at hotels.

I suspect the room was better than a standard room, and not all rooms have a view (or as good a view). I stayed a couple of times many years ago and I think not all rooms have baths. So when booking make sure and check about the features you want.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne
Reviewed February 5, 2013

This place was highly commended on here, and looked quite nice. DONT BE FOOLED!

Booked directly with the hotel, rather than external website as my plans are usually very fluid and have to move around a lot with my job.
I do admit the place is well presented, spotlessly tidy and very modern furnishings.
I got to my 'premier suite' to be confronted by an extremely large painting of a 'weathered old man' gawking down at me. yes, the one you can see on the website photos.

It was creepy as hell, so I removed it from the wall :)

Anyhow, I do like the small kitchen in the room, funky espresso machine that takes special pods from the minibar ($2.50 a pop). Everything is very well laid out and hidden away in there - with a dishwasher and washing machine secreted behind clever doors.

The bathroom was nice enough.

The bed was shockingly uncomfortable. I travel heaps, perhaps around 40 hotels per year for the last 15 years, so I know a crap bed when I lie in one.

After a completely sleepless night, I decided to get out and find another hotel with normal beds.To be fair they did offer me another room, but since all their beds were the same, it was likely I would not have any more success.
And here was my biggest issue: I was told by the receptionist that i would be charged another night for not giving them their mandatory 24hrs notice!!
After much quibbling with both her and her duty manager to back down.
Sadly, this left a bad taste in my mouth, I won't be back.

There a plenty more very good quality apartments in Wellington, good luck!

Room Tip: Find another hotel!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank wisend-traveller
museumh, Owner at QT Museum Wellington, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Thankyou for your many positive comments. I hope you also had a chance to use our Pool and Gymnasium.
We clearly brand ourselves as an art hotel, and display art throughout our establishment. Willie Nelson's portrait by accomplished portrait artist Stephen Welch (a reproduction of which was in your room) is one of our most admired pieces. Sorry you didn't like it. I guess art is a very personal thing.
Regarding your comment on the bed, I cannot remember when I last had a complaint about bed comfort. On the contrary, we are often asked where we purchase our beds from as they are so comfortable. We have thoroughly inspected the bed in your room, and it is exactly the same as the other 200 beds in the Hotel. Not sure what happened here!
Finally, our cancellation policy is clearly displayed, and is much the same as all Hotels, and much more generous than Airlines for example. When you advised our staff that your plans had changed and you were checking out they quite rightly followed our policy and requested payment for the night you had contracted to purchase. At that point you raised the matter of the bed and giving you the benefit of the doubt all further charges were waived.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed February 5, 2013

The Museum Hotel was a funky and quirky hotel in a great Wellington Location. We had a one bedroom suite which we found well equipped, particularly the mini bar where lots of lovely extras could be found, including bath bombs! The view from our room was disappointing- pretty much no view at all which made the room a bit dreary but that could be overlooked as the rest of the room was very nicely done and there was just enough room for the 3 of us (2 adults and a 2 year old). There was convenient onsite parking and while the staff at reception were somewhat indifferent, the guys at the Concierge desk were particularly helpful and friendly- one even offered to accompany me to the lift to press the buttons as I had my hands full!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that isn't facing onto the back lane way!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
NZ
Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

Just had my forth stay at this hotel. They have a mix of hotel and apartment style rooms. On every occasion I've either been booked into or upgraded to an apartment, so haven't experienced the hotel rooms. The apartment rooms are lovely. Very stylish and geat facilities, including microwave and washing machine. The views vary from seaviews on the higher levels to the back of a building on the lower floors. If you're a coffee drinker they even have coffee machines (and free coffee) in room. Room service fairly limited, but good quality. Hippopotamus restaurant very impressive for a hotel restaurant. Loved the decor and the French wait staff. Highly recommend!

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Nice hotel, good room, interesting art collection to browse - and I felt happy to recommend until they spoiled it all at check out by chiselling me another $15 because I paid the bill on my Visa credit card.

This is the first time ever I've had a hotel or restaurant pull the credit card fee stunt, and it made me furious.

This is different to some retail joint whacking you with a credit card use charge

This is the hospitality industry.Credit cards benefit THEM the hotel, not ME. Why should I pay The Museum Hotel for using the financial facility that is essential to their payment and reservation system ticking over smoothly?

Credit cards are the payment model that makes the hospitality business function for both the businesses and the traveller.

To secure my booking at The Museum, as with most places, we HAD to first give them a credit card number. It meant they knew they had the room definitely sold, not maybe sold, and it meant they could be guaranteed fast and safe payment.

So, no credit card means no booking accepted by The Museum Hotel or pretty much any hotel. They need them more than their customers do.

What's the alternative? Pay or reserve by EFTPOS? What a laugh. I'm imagining the business traveller or anyone who is sharing costs or being reimbursed, being allowed direct access to a bank account, and pin number, to pay their way.

I liked the place well enough but I'm never returning to the first hotel that ever charged me for using the payment method they needed to accept my booking

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
museumh, Owner at QT Museum Wellington, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Now that debit cards are widely used (no commission is payable) passing on credit card charges is now a standard practice throughout the industry worldwide.
Our practise if a guest questions the credit card surcharge is to ask them to pay by eftpos or debit card. If the guest has neither, and this is quite common for overseas visitors, our staff are authorized to waive the charge.
Our credit card policy is clearly indicated on checking in and I think it is fair.
Chris Parkin
Owner, museum art hotel.
Beijing
Reviewed January 27, 2013

This Hotel is filled with some wonderful art, has great food, but I got the feeling that this was best appearances on what was at most a tied hotel. The hotel lifts groaned like an old giant and could be heard in my room at least halfway down the corridors. It meant for a lousy sleep as the noise kept up until 2.30am the rooms are well designed but parts look tired.

I'd suggest you drop in for a meal or a drink maybe but skip the accommodation and find someplace where you can sleep.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business