“Not as expected!”

Ranked #5 of 46 Hotels in Wellington
Auckland, New Zealand
“Not as expected!”
Reviewed April 1, 2012

My husband and I came from Auckland to photograph a wedding in Wellington, we decided to stay in luxury for the couple of nights we were down, so we chose the Museum Hotel. We stayed three nights. I booked the classic deluxe room, but then decided we might as well pay extra for a suite. So I went to their online booking and it said the three nights were available for the suite, rang them up to confirm the change, and was told the first night was not available. Annoying since their online system said it was, but nevermind. We decided to do one night in the classic room and 2 nights in the suite. When we arrived, no valet parking, which were told they had... instead it was just some parks outside the hotel that we parked ourself... not valet parking at all.
When we got up to our room, I wanted to cry..... over $200 for a room the size of a box. VERY disappointing. We had to climb over our bags to move around the room.

The second night we were moved to the suite... and I breathed a sigh of relief, MUCH better. Huge, spacious, beautiful... and wasn't that much more expensive than the classic room... they so need to lower the price of their tiny rooms. Anyway, we really enjoyed spending our two nights in the suite :)

There was an incident with the room service however. My husband rang and ordered our dinner, as were starving and didn't want to go to a restaurant as we thought room service would be faster. An hour and a half later, tummys grumbling, my husband rang to see what had happened to our order.... they said they would put it on now (ie they had never cooked our food and if we hadn't rung they never would have).... another 30-40 mins later our food arrived. Over 2 hours for room service... WHAT!! My steak was SUPERB however, worth the wait... and it put a smile on my face. They ended up not charging us for the meal (although it was on our bill still and we had to ask for it to be removed at reception).

The staff we always lovely and helpful, which is great. And the lobby is fantastic.

Would I stay here again? I'm not sure to be honest. The staff were great, the suite was great...but I just don't think it is worth the money they charge....close, but... not quite. I think next time I stay in Wellington I will try somewhere else, which is a shame, because I wanted to love this place more than I did. Unfortunately I was let down on multiple things and our trip had too many sour notes because of it.

Room Tip: Pay extra, get the suite... not the classic deluxe.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Pandorarum
museumh, Owner at QT Museum Wellington, responded to this review, April 17, 2012
During the period you stayed, we were very busy and it is possible the available room was booked during the time between your looking at the web and your call to us. I'm pleased you enjoyed the studio room.
Valet parking is available to all guests checking in, however many of our guests do prefer to park their own cars where spaces are available adjacent to the lobby.
Room service clearly failed to deliver. Late arriving food, even if delicious and free isn't adequate compensation. I can only apologise.
I hope you will change your mind and stay with us again. Please dont hesitate to ask for me, the owner, as I would like an opportunity to set things right.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (385)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed March 26, 2012

I absolutely loved staying here. As a solo traveller, I decided to treat myself to a nice hotel for my final week in New Zealand. I was not disappointed.

The location was great, just a 2 minute walk to Te Papa, and a 5-10 minute walk to great restaurants, shops and some of the other main attractions.

The hotel itself was beautiful, the interior design is luxurious, and incredibly comfortable. The service was excellent.

Finally the restaurant (Hippopotamus) was great! Gorgeous views across the harbour.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 25, 2012

I was recommended this place by a colleague who stayed here with is wife. Judging by recent reviews, sounds like the Museum is a bit off in May.

The Pro:
- Hotel proactively contacted me about my booking and arranged for me to stay for the full booking in same room. I had to book seperate rooms for the whole stay at the time so was really happy they were so pro-active about the booking.

The Cons:
- We got the Marina Suite which was basically a hotel room with kitchenette & washing machine. Not what I would call a "suite" but maybe I'm just spoilt.
- They charged 2% for paying with credit card, which you would expect at a small business but not at a hotel. Not especially for charges close to $1000. What made it worse was there was no other alternative. The eftpos machine did not accept foreign debit cards & you can't take that much money out of the atm.
- They give you an espresso machine but you had to buy the coffee pods from the minibar. It wasn't expensive but you would think they could just add $5 to the room rate & give you a couple of pods.
- Service was not attentive. Our room wasn't serviced every day. By the time we realised, it was too late to get it done that night. We ordered off the pillow menu but they failed to deliver.

1 Thank Jetset_KT
Thankyou for choosing our Hotel. Almost all Hotels internationally now pass on credit card costs. In our case we try to encourage the use of non-commissionable debit cards, however as you say overseas debit cards occasionally dont work. As a result of your comment I have changed our policy so that if an overseas debit card doesn't work we now deduct the credit card charge.
I am thnking about your suggestions regarding coffee pods for the in-room expresso machines. I would comment however that we do provide a complementary serving of freshly ground plunger coffee to each guest on checkin.
I hope you had the chance to enjoy our pool and gymnasium during your visit.
If you are back this way, please ask for me, Chris Parkin.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed March 25, 2012

The hotel is simply beautiful, filled with a great collection of contemporary art. Great atmosphere in lobby and hotel restaurant. Perfect location within Wellington. Walk along the harbor promenade and its delights or tour central city. Room was perfect. Service was gracious and helpful. Free wi-fi in lobby. You will be pleased with your stay here.

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 25, 2012

I stayed at the Museum Hotel for three nights with my partner during our two week trip to NZ. We chose the hotel based primarily on location and weren't really sure what to expect, but certainly left disappointed.

We were not greeted warmly at all when we checked in. The staff member hurried through the check-in process before gesturing to the elevators and leaving us to find our room with no offer of help with luggage at all. The elevators close ridiculously quickly and take you to a couple of random floors before you reach your own. I appreciate that the hotel is 'arty' but some of the carpets are just garish and tacky.

Our room itself was very average: fairly small with a view of another building. The bed was very hard and not at all comfortable. One entire wall was made up of mirrors, so if you're not a fan of looking at yourself a lot, I'd avoid booking here. Can't fault the cleanliness of the room at all - no problems there.

One thing I wasn't very happy about was paying for in-room wifi. I found that extremely cheeky considering that we had paid a good amount for three nights at a hotel that we had so far not deemed worth the money! Also, the shower randomly turned from hot to cold every couple of minutes which was far from enjoyable.

The day before we left, we called reception to request a late check-out for the following day, but unfortunately they couldn't accommodate our request (fair enough, and not a problem). We didn't, however, expect them to be quite so firm about timing - at 11am on the dot, and just as we were picking up our bags and making sure we hadn't left anything behind, there was a hammering on our door. When we opened it and told the man that we were just leaving, he muttered 'fine!' and walked away. This is not something that I have ever experienced before in a hotel and left me feeling a little bit annoyed. The staff I encountered there don't seem too bothered about making a good impression - earlier during our stay, a young man collecting laundry from the rooms almost wheeled his trolley into me, and didn't even have the decency to apologise, smile, or even make eye contact! Truly odd for hotel staff.

When we reached the reception desk, we were told to wait until they had 'checked our room'. I was quite shocked by this, and can only imagine it was due to our age (22 and 25) - would they really ask a more mature couple to hang about so they could check whether or not they'd damaged the place?

All in all, the hotel really let us down, and we certainly won't be visiting again.

Room Tip: If you really want to stay here, go for an apartment. The rooms are nothing special.
2 Thank PinkYogi85
Surrey, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 25, 2012

As an expat Wellingtonian I had heard a lot of great things about the Museum Hotel and so upon returning to the city on a holiday we thought we'd give it a try. Sadly I can't help but feel underwhelmed. Yes it has interesting décor, on some occasions tacky, on others genuinely interesting but that can't gloss over a few things that let it down in our eyes. Upon arrival we were met with check-in staff who seemed to be counting down the minutes until they could go home, not a biggie but obviously not an overwhelming first impression. We were later asked what we thought of the luggage service and our only response could be 'what luggage service?' as we were never offered anything like one. That wouldn't even feature in a review if it wasn't for the elevators that we then had to get out luggage into.. they're, well, strange and worryingly, a little dangerous. The lift doors opened and my girlfriend began to wheel her suitcase in only to have the doors promptly shut on her - where a normal lift would sense any sort of contact and immediately open again these seemed to fight it a little and did hurt her hand. I saw this sort of thing happen at least three more times while we were there, sandwiching more than a few patrons and certainly something a lot of people were commenting on! Not to mention going to different floors than the button pressed.
Our room was adequate though fittings were slightly dated with things like cupboard doors getting wedged on skirting boards and pipes being visible from the bath ensuring it didn't exude any sort of 'luxury' quality. We kept our curtains closed almost all the time as our view was of what we think was the apartment wing, instead we were left with a view of ourselves as the Museum Hotel is very into mirrors.
Was disappointed that we could not arrange a later than 11am check out which was compounded by the knock on the door at exactly that time to ensure we were out the door - not necessarily unheard of but still hardly friendly service from a 'luxury' hotel.
I am left feeling like the Museum Hotel DOES have a lot to offer at the higher end but for whatever reason we missed out.

1 Thank ukiwik
Ashland, Oregon
Reviewed March 24, 2012

We stayed in one of the studio apartment rooms. Very nice size, view of the organic market across the street (we knew there wouldn't be a harbor view and that was fine), nice bed and generally a more than adequate room.
We choose this particular hotel because there were laundry facilities in the room; a big plus when on the road for a few weeks. It turned out to be one of those washer/dryer in one machines and it was the undoing of everything good about this hotel for us.
First of all, it was very small so what would normally be 2 loads had to be 3. Next, after the first load was washed we followed the instructions (very minimal by the way) for drying and left for some sightseeing. When we returned it was still going but I checked and most of the load was dry. I took that out and put back the few items that were still damp. I turned the machine on again and it started the wash cycle! We pulled those things out, wrung them as best we could and hung them up. I put in the second load and it seemed to be fine until before we knew what was happening, it started the wash cycle all over again after the drying cycle . We went to sleep with the machine running and not knowing what we would wake up to. Additionally, earlier in the afternoon we had asked for a 3rd laundry soap packet at the front desk and didn't get it. I called that evening for it again, along with feather pillows. They didn't come. I called again, and soon someone finally came with the pillows and dish washing soap...
The next morning I spoke with Clea, the on duty manager, and she very kindly offered to have the rest of our laundry done free of charge (the overnight load did finally dry but was extremely wrinkled and one of my white tops inexplicably had yellow stains on it). Someone came up right away and the laundry was waiting for us when we returned that afternoon. The stains were still on my top and one of my socks was ripped up but the majority of the clothes were finally clean. So, a long laundry saga but what could have been a very nice experience was ruined by the very reason we chose this particular property.
One other thing: the first night I noticed a pill near one of the night tables. I didn't pick it up and it stayed where it was over the two nights we were there. It may still be there...

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple