“Middle of night clerk in” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mercure Wellington

Ranked #36 of 46 Hotels in Wellington
Armidale, Australia
“Middle of night clerk in”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

Service was great, we arrived around 1 am, check in was smooth and easy. Only problem was the shower dripped all night. We would recommend this hotel. The room was a good size with chairs and table. Beds were comfortable.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

poolerob, General Manager at Mercure Wellington, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Dear Gran42_12,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Mercure Wellington. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. I will share your comments with all the Mercure team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Mercure Wellington

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

The reception and greeting was lovely and professional but the hotel itself is in need of a complete overhaul. Breakfast in the morning was overwhelming for the few staff managing it with no plates, very little food due to the business and when they did restock the hot breakfast was watery, bland and tasteless. This would not be your first option if you have a choice of accommodation

• Stayed August 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
poolerob, General Manager at Mercure Wellington, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
Dear JWALK007,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at Mercure Wellington. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations, please allow me to express my sincerest apologies. At Mercure Wellington we strive to provide superior service experience for every customer, therefore your feedback is very important to us.

Mercure Wellington

Travelers are raving about these Wellington hotels

Hamilton, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

My partner and I spent three nights at this hotel recently. The hotel is about a 10 minute hilly walk to the central CBD. As check in is not until 2pm the hotel kindly held our bags until we were ready to check-in and helped us with navigating the city with a map.
Upon check-in the receptionist asked to take a copy of my Credit Card, this is standard and we were advised it would only be charged if unexpected costs / damages were to occur.

Overall the stay was pleasant, the room was cleaned daily and all the staff were friendly and helpful.

However, my Partner and I booked this hotel primarily because it had an indoor heated pool and sauna. We were both hugely disappointed to find the pool not heated and far too cold for any person to swim in during winter.

Upon arriving back home after our three nights away I checked my bank account to find there had been a $75 charge incurred on my credit card whilst our time away. My Partner phoned the hotel who advised they charge $25 per night on the credit card as a security fee and this all gets refunded within 5 days.
This came as a complete shock. As the hotel had a copy of our credit card I see no reason as to why they charge you $25 each night as a 'just in case'. This seems completely unjustified, I would have expected to have been told this upon checking or at least when making the booking online.

When my Partner suggested to the Receptionist over the telephone that perhaps they should advise their guests of this they said it was a fair suggestion and would pass it on.

Unfortunately the unexpected and unnecessary credit card charge has ruined my overall experience at this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Hayley K
Dear Hayley K,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at Mercure Wellington and I am please that you found the Hotel to be good value for money. I am sorry about the issue with the pool the temperature is set for 28 degrees and we had not been made aware of any problems with the pool. As a precaution I have asked my maintenance staff to review this.

I am sorry the staff did not inform you that a authorisation would be held on your credit card this is not a charge and is released on departure. I have forwarded on your comments to my Front Office Manager to discuss with the team. I apologise that on this occasion, we have not met our usual standards.

We appreciate your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to Mercure Wellington again soon.

North west
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

The hotel is situated a bit of a walk away from the railway station and is up a bit of a hill.
It is very good value for money and the beds were comfy. The room service was great and the lemon tart was gorgeous. You get a mini bar so you can have snacks and drinks if you want you! Staff were nice and helpful. Could do with a touch up of paint, inside and out. Well worth the money and very good value for money-you get more than what you pay for!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Bekaking,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Mercure Wellington. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. I will share your comments with our team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff, as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

This review is for Mercure, 345 The Terrace Wellington, I was moved here after booking into the Willis St just prior to the earthquake.

This hotel is a little bit up from the top of Cuba Street so as such is a bit of an amble into towns main bits but only around 10 mins, maybe not so good if you want to be in the thick of it but maybe ok if you want to be close but quiet in the evening.

Hotel room good size, very clean, tidy all the usual amenities, great to see Fair Trade products in the provided tea/coffee/hot choc etc. and also the little tubs of milk were real milk not UHT, another plus point.

Bed very comfy, plenty of pillows with an extra one in the cupboard and a blanket too for the evening.

Great view from room not over water etc. but 6th over the near by neighbor hood was very enjoyable on a sunny winters day.

Reception is on level 5, I was on level 6 in room 611. to go out of the hotel down to town you can get a lift from by the reception down to ground level, proper ground level not ground level as per reception on level 5, you drive up the hill to get to reception :0) a little confusing but very Wellington. The lift does shut off in the evening however, so if you think you going to have a few drinkies with dinner best to check the time with reception or it is a steep hill to walk up the road on one side or many steps up the hill on the other side of the hotel.

Hotel has a pool on bottom level with a sauna and a small gym, enough machines for what you would want to do though.

A little tired around the edges in the pool area and no cctv which was a bit nerve racking being the only one there early on a Sunday morning too but overall I felt safe and secure in the hotel as a female lone traveler.

have to say reception staff were very helpful with all my queries, provided me with a map and helped me orientate myself and know where to find things in the town.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank KikiBNZ
poolerob, General Manager at Mercure Wellington, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear KikiBNZ,

Thank you for posting such informative feedback on the Hotel. It is great to see that you appreciate the Fair Trade products we have in all our guest rooms and that we provide real milk.

We very much appreciate the comments you made and look forward to welcoming you back to Mercure Wellington the next time you are in the Capital.

Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

My wife and I stayed for 2 nights. Unit was clean and fresh. Heating worked well. Had breakfast one morning, which I found a bit overpriced for a very basic selection. Ate out all over wellington so no review for restaurant. Overall a good stay would definitely stay again. Staff very helpful and friendly. Short walk to town so you can easily walk off your huge meals. Watch out for the hills though.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Fireviking
Dear Rumple4skin,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at the Mercure Wellington. I am pleased that you enjoyed the location of the Hotel and the service provided by my team. It is great to see that you managed to get out and about and enjoy many of our fantastic cafes and restaurants we have in the Capital.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Mercure Wellington again soon.