“Quality rooms plus a swimming pool”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Mercure Wellington

Mercure Wellington
Ranked #36 of 46 Hotels in Wellington
Napier, New Zealand
“Quality rooms plus a swimming pool”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Its a hard decision when going to Wellington to stay at the Mercure on Willis or the Mercure on The Terrace.Willis St tends to always be a bit cheaper but the one on The Terrace does have a swimming pool next to its gym as the main attraction for me. There is sauna also though I have never used it. If you can ask for the rooms that face the city, the view can be quite nice and a few of the corner rooms are bigger with a suite. Its not actually that much further to walk into the city compared to staying at the James Cook and Novotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
poolerob, General Manager at Mercure Wellington, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear Heikolade,

Thank you for your continued loyalty to Mercure Wellington and Mercure Willis Street. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and in particular, the pool, gym, sauna facilities and the location of the Hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Mercure Wellington again in the near future.

Rob Poole

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Geraldine, New Zealand
Reviewed March 20, 2013

On arrival we were upgraded which was a nice surprise !
The room was well laid out and more than adequate for our one night stay.
Despite being at the rear of the building, there was some street noise which did interfere with sleep quality, but you have to expect that on a busy Saturday night in a central city location.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear DH1958,

Thank you for taking your time to write your review. We are delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to Mercure Wellington again the next time you are travelling up from Geraldine.

tauranga
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This is an older hotel, and it does not pretend not to be with its rating being 3 stars.
Thus its rating is for a hotel of its age and rating
Do not discount it as a stay option. It is clean, handy to things (yes there is a hill, wellington has hills everywhere, and if you get a room on the eastern or north eastern corner, you are scoring a great view
The pool is ideal for the fitness guru, and they tag in a suitable wee gym

Room Tip: eastern side, go for height. these rooms give city and sea views
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Joe W,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Mercure Wellington. I am pleased that the service provided by my team and the cleanliness of the rooms met your expectations. It is also good to note that you had time to use the Hotel facilities including the pool.

We look forward to welcoming you back again the next time you are down in the Capital.

Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed March 13, 2013

1st time I've stayed at this hotel. I chose it because I was looking for somewhere with a secure carpark onsite. I managed to secure a competitive rate through the Accor website. Reception staff very friendly. Room a bit tired but clean.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

poolerob, Manager at Mercure Wellington, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Dear KiwiAlex,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We are delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back again for many more visits.

Thames, New Zealand
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I stay regualrly here and the staff bend over backwards to assist you. The rooms are reasonable quality, if a little tired in decor. The bathrooms could do with an upgrade but are clean and serivceable. My only complaint was that the aircon was not working on a very hot day. At least I could open windows but at night it is noisey to have them open in the bedroom.

The Mecure is certainly a good reeasonably priced place to stay. I recommend it and is one of me regular hotels I stay at in Wellington.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

poolerob, General Manager at Mercure Wellington, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Dear Chris,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback with regards to your recent stay. I would like to also thank you for your continued support and loyalty to the Hotel. The team are always willing to assist and I will forward your comments onto to them.

I am sorry about the air conditioning if you can contact me off line on rob.poole@accor.com to let me know which room you stayed in, so I can get the maintenance team to look at the problem.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Mercure Wellington the next time you are in the Capital.

Napier, New Zealand
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Just stayed the one night to attend a function at the University. Room was ok - a bit tired but fine for the price. Got really hot in the night so the debate was loud air con v overheated room. Easy to get to off the motorway and we found the parking very easy. Didn't eat at the hotel or use any of the facilities. Would be happy to return again next time we need a bed in Wellington.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

poolerob, General Manager at Mercure Wellington, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear Franklin_family,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. Wellington has been experiencing some very warm days which have been a challenge, I have asked my maintenance team to look into the air condition issues in your room.

Thank you for your recommendation and we look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are down from Napier.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I had to travel to Wellington unexpectedly and found it quite difficult to get last minute accommodation. The Mercure did have rooms at a reasonable cost fairly close to where I needed to spend part of my time. That said, the walk in any direction was very hilly. I slept 2 nights in one room and found the air conditioning wasn't working on the second night. Ordinarily you don't need air con in Wellington but the weather was particularly warm which made the room stuffy and uncomfortable. I was moved without fuss the next day to another room on a higher floor offering a nice view.

I ate dinner one night and breakfast one morning in the restaurant. The food was pretty good but I found the service to be below average. I was seated smack bang in the middle of the restaurant, with no-one else around me and felt quite conspicuous as a woman traveling on my own. Tables came up by the windows which had lovely views about 5 minutes after I was seated but there was no offer to move me despite having asked for a window table.

The rooms had wired internet which was no good to me as I travel with a tablet as I'm sure many others do. There is free wi-fi in the public areas for 30 minutes but this can only be accessed once per day.

Overall, it was ok.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Dear Fussyvoyager,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback regarding your recent stay at Mercure Wellington. I am sorry that your air conditioning was not functioning but it is pleasing to note that this was quickly resolved by my staff. Your feedback is very important to us and we can assure you that we will us this information to do everything possible to create a more enjoyable experience for each of our guests.

Thank you again for sharing your experience.