3,553 results
All reviewslambton quaygreat locationvalet parkingcentral locationcable carbit datedbuffet breakfastthe club loungeeasy accesspleasant staygood sizebusiness tripwould stay againte papanew zealandliftbath
Reviewed March 28, 2009

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights before catching the ferry to South Island. The location was excellent - most of what we wanted to see was easily walkable. We took a room on the executive floor as this had great views of the harbour and also ha breakfast thrown in.

The room was fine - not great, but adequate for what is essentially a business hotel. The service was mediocre in the lounge - where breakfast was served, and in the restaurant which caters more for the 'eat as much as you can buffet ' than for a la carte.

At breakfast there was no bread for toast. When we pointed this out the 'hostess' in the lounge said they had run out and we could have a danish pastry instead! No suggestion that she might send for some more bread. The cutlery had food debris on tat least two knives. All of this shows a woeful lack of attention to detail in what is supposed to be a good hotel. A good hotel pays attention to detail.

Having said all this, the location is excellent and if you are planning to stay in Wellington for a short time and want to walk to most of the sights then fine - just dont expect great service too, you wont get it!

All in all an adequate stay, but it isnt worth paying the extra for the exefcutive floor.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GerryMal
Reviewed March 16, 2009

Booked 2 nights through Rates to Go for a family weekend in Wellington and was able to arrange a late Sunday checkout. Not that this was much use because the housekeepers woke me up at 8.15am both days. And this was after I'd finallly got to sleep through the din of banging doors and rumbling plumbing.
Even though I had the DND sign up (which stupidly has Make Up Room on the reverse so pranksters can turn it round) they still managed to wake me from across the hall in the next room. It seemed like the whole housekeeping staff gathered for their morning meeting right outside my room, shouting at each other about their task list. Then the vacuum cleaner started, which had to be banged into my door several times. Then of course they had to shout even louder to be heard above the noise of the machine.
My tissues and toilet rolls never got replaced when empty so in a way it was quite handy having the housekeeping cart parked outside my room for so long. My used towels were picked up off the floor and hung back up to be used again.
And coming back in from a run I asked where the ice machine was, only to be told there isn't one. Having been ripped for breakfast at $29 I wasn't going to fall for room service ice going on my bill. I wonder how Americans cope without ice facilties?
Just because I had a cheap deal doesn't mean I am a cheap customer. Hotels make the mistake of putting people in the worst rooms with the worst views if they have booked a discount package. For all they know, I could manage the travel requirements of a large corporation or be a mystery shopper.
I would call this a 3* hotel.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank Boppy
Reviewed March 9, 2009

We booked a Club Room which was spacious and clean. When we booked in, the receptionist advised us we were entitled to complimentary soft drinks and snacks and Internet access. When we went up to the bar at 5pm we discovered that alcoholic drinks were also complimentary between 5pm & 7pm. There were also some excellent bar snacks available free of charge. As a Club upgrade you were also entitled to breakfast in the Club Bar, this however was extremely disappointing. The first morning we turned up with an hour of service to go to find very little choice left. The young girl behind the counter was on a go slow and in the end we made do with what was left, only then to discover she was replenishing the supplies! The second morning we turned up at 0630 (we were catching the ferry) and she had not even put the food out. We ended up eating toast.
That apart I would recommend the Hotel. It is a short walk from most sights and handy for the Ferry.
Since coming home my wife discovered she had left something behind in our room. The Hotel was very helpful, answered e mails and (at our cost) posted the item home.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Peter N
Reviewed March 2, 2009

The public areas are generally very nice, the room it turns out is only ok. The bathroom could really do with a refit.

I wonder if this hotel trades on its name, historically is was regarded as one of the better hotels in Wellington.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PipT22
Reviewed March 1, 2009

We booked a Superior Room with a king at the last minute for my sister-in-law's wedding buffet dinner. It was $170 for a Saturday night. Checking in and valet parking at an additional charge of $18 went smoothly. We were pleased with our room on the 24th floor. We did not have a harbour view. Rooms are on the smaller side. My other sister-in-law's room on the 15th floor, with two double beds (two adults and two children), was a bit cramped. I found the bathroom very clean and a good size. Nice basin. I was not troubled by the step up to the bathtub. The mini-bar was well-stocked but expensive. Broadband internet access from the room was also a bit pricey. $30 for 24 hours, 500MB or $0.70 per minute capped at $34.00. There is wireless available in the lobby and restaurant. Room service menu prices are expensive for the quality of the food here. Sky TV and flat screen TV but no Playhouse Disney. I did not check the in-house movie prices. We also had a small couch in our room, but there was not much room for it. My brother-in-law wished it could have been a sleep sofa but he just didn't want to pay for his own room! The buffet dinner was adequate, although some people in our wedding party complained of food sickness--beware. Service was good. Requests were not anticipated but were cheerfully executed upon request. My three-year-old and I went to the buffet breakfast which was adequate and easily met my son's dairy-free diet requirements. There is a fitness centre in the hotel and a larger gym is available nearby. Upon request, a late-check out of 1pm was granted. We requested a trolley for our baggage from the concierge and he also retrieved our car from the valet for checkout. We were given the option of paying for our stay in different currencies. Overall, a pleasant stay. My only complaint was that on our stay our room was too hot and I could not keep it cool enough. It is possible to open the windows a bit, which helps. The location is convenient to Lambton Quay. The staff is courteous and accommodating. The hotel is clean and its amenities are more than adequate. Thumbs up.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family