“Needs a Revamp...But not the Staff!!”

James Cook Hotel Grand Chancellor
Ranked #12 of 47 Hotels in Wellington
Reviewed November 28, 2013

We stayed at the James Cook Hotel last month for a quick work trip (First time) to Wellington. The Hotel its self is quite dated and needs a Re-Furb but thats not to say the cleanliness and atmosphere in the Bar/ Lobby isn't up to standard.. i never had any issues. The food in the Lobby is my favorite within the hotel as it seems fresh and tasty.
The staff are the real selling point of the hotel, they are attentive and know a lot about the city. One girl on Reception (Ashleigh) made me feel particularly at home and was welcoming and helpful when i had problems with my internet connection,she is an asset i believe she will go far. I would return to the James Cook for this service over and over again. WHAT A STAR!
The lift access to Lambton Quay is so handy and was close to my office.
I will be back!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (3,189)

Reviewed November 28, 2013 via mobile

We stayed 1 night at James Cook for a price of $229. The night before we stayed at City Life (next door) for $209.

We were given a dated, small room with a lot of road noise, an uncomfortable bed, and lumpy pillows. There was nothing about this room that justified the price charged and it was much, much less than the fantastic accommodation at City Life.

Not recommended at all. I have no idea how they got their 4.5 star rating.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 28, 2013

Stayed for a couple of nights in a premium corner room with harbour views. Well, you could sort of see the harbour through the gaps between the tall buildings opposite. The room was comfortable, spacious and the complementary wi-fi worked fine. The bathroom was functional although the yellow and grey colour scheme looked very dated. The hotel is well positioned in the heart of the city with direct access to Lambton Quay.

Room Tip: Go for a premium room
Reviewed November 25, 2013

We stayed here for three days on business. We had a fantastic time in Wellington (New Zealand is terrific), and this hotel is located right in the City Centre and lets you enjoy their downtown without having to deal with the confusing streets—you can walk around here for days, it's just great.

If you are visiting from out of country and need to do, you know, actual business, you will frustrated to find out that, like other hotels in New Zealand, the hotel Internet service here is an absolute joke. Not only is it expensive, but you can't have have access to wifi with more than one device per room.

Just let that sit in for a second. If you have a family staying with separate computers, iPads and iPhones, only one device can connect to their crappy Internet at once.

What's worse, is that even if you do the 24 hour option, you are limited to 2GB of data AND the more data you use, THE SLOWER IT GETS. Seriously! I uploaded a picture to show you. To cap it all off, there are additional taxes so when we you do check out...well, the Internet bill shocked us, let me tell you. We left furious.

The rooms are okay—this hotel connects with a separate building and the bridge that we used to cross to the next room stank something awful, we assumed it was because of the carpet. The elevators are old and clunky and it just feels a little run down. The rooms are fine, nothing to write home about, but they do afford some pretty nice views of the downtown. The showers were really odd, you have to step up into them, so the shower head we had was actually even lower, less than 5 feet high...it was very strange and made for some contortions to wash my hair. No big deal, just odd.

Anyway, this hotel has a great location and if you don't care about the Internet access issue, then I can recommend it, no problem. It's a pity that the thing I remember most about my experience at the hotel was the crappy Internet.

Room Tip: Higher rooms had a great views.
1  Thank mikeromo
Reviewed November 24, 2013

The hotel was easy to find straight off the slip road. The staff were friendly and helpful. Valet parking was very useful . Breakfast was wonderful as were the large rooms which were lovely and clean. We had to depart early but the staff were kind enough to bring breakfast to our room at 6 am, thank you for your assistance in allowing us to have breakfast before travelling.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

We booked the hotel due to its central location.Front staff were very helpful but we found the rooms a bit musty but nice n clean. Not sure were they get the the 4 star rating.They need to get the wifi sorted as all modern hotels have free wifi included in the tarif

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 23, 2013

I normally stay at the The Mecure on The Terrace, mainly because it has a swimming pool but this weekend it was all booked out for some reason. That ended up in me going back to an old haunt where I used to stay regularly, The James Cook grand Chancellor. Surprisingly, it wasn't that expensive. Now I regret letting my "points" at the James Cook lapse just so I could swim at the other place. I had not been there for a couple years but they certainly remembered me and made me feel welcome again.The buffet breakfast does have that "edge". Just before going to Wellington James sent me an email offering me a special $18 breakfast so that certainly motivated me to indulge in it. The chocolates waiting for me on the bed upon check in ... a nice touch. But I just can't work out why a beer is $2 cheaper than a lemon, lime and bitters!!!It will be hard cloise net time coming to Wellington... swim or upgrade a level...

Room Tip: Try requesting an upgrade to a corner room... well worth it.