“So near yet so far!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 46 Hotels in Wellington
North Island
“So near yet so far!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

Well another stay at The James Cook and still those niggles linger and judging by other reports I am not alone. We booked two nights in a Lambton Room and as usual the room was clean, quiet and on first impressions was as near perfect as I would expect at the price but then things began to go wrong. The dreaded air conditioner was not working and we couldn't cool the room down but hey, that happens, so we reported the problem and left for the evening. On our return we found that the air conditioner was still not operating and a staff member came to our room to check I had it set correctly but only confirmed it was broken. Now, what would you expect they would do, perhaps move us to another room where it did work NO! We opened the window to try and cool the room but it didn't last after we closed it for the night due to noise. We spent an uncomfortably warm night due to the heat and woke less than refreshed!
Next morning I reported it again and said we had packed our bags if they couldn't fix the problem they could move us into a room that was OK. Went out for a drive and returned around 3pm - room still far too hot and nothing had been done so back down to reception where I was told there was no maintenance people working!!! Our conversation was heard by possibly the hotel manager who said he would fix things and we got upgraded to a very nice room with a double harbor view, superb I thought and the air conditioner was cooling the room, bliss!
And unfortunately here we go again - the fan wouldn't step down to medium or low so we had to put up with it on full all night as after returning to a cool room after a night out and couldn't be bothered to go back down and change rooms at that time of night.
What do the staff do when servicing these rooms and just how long would it take to check these things were working properly given they promote themselves as a 4and1/2 star I believe. Come on, you read these reports yet the same problems keep surfacing and what should have been a very pleasant stay was tainted by this problem, Not good enough in my humble opinion.

Room Tip: The higher up the better
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SteveJMartin, General Manager at James Cook Hotel Grand Chancellor, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Dear 3shepherds

Thank you for your review and please accept my apologies for the issues you experienced with the air conditioning system during your stay with us. I can report that the problem in both rooms has since been repaired. I would also like to let you know that earlier this week we connected a new chiller unit to the air-conditioning system which will ensure a continuous supply of cool air to our rooms through the (hopefully hot) summer months ahead.

Again I am sorry that your stay with us was less than satisfactory and assure you that this is not the normal high standard that we deliver to our guests.

I do hope that you will choose to stay with us again.

Steve Martin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
Whakatane, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

We stayed one night to attend a conference. Brilliant location that allows easy access to central business district.

Check in and out hassle free, with prompt room service to answer any queries you might have.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

This was my first time staying here, now I am converted, clean rooms, friendly staff and good food. I will definitely recommend this hotel and I will use again. My only moan is that the cold water pressure was low but what the hell I managed without any problems.
I have stayed in other hotels in wellington and this is one of the top two.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Lyttelton, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

Got a deal off Wotif. Paid 354NZD for two nights. This included free WiFi and valet parking. This was the best deal at time of booking - didn't have a car so lost out on free parking. The deal included a Lambton Room (NO idea what that actually meant) on a higher floor (with a view of the rear of the building) - hotel appeared quiet so I would have thought that a room with a better view could have been provided. The air conditioning didn't work properly and had to have the temperature set to 25 just to stay warm.

The room itself was a good size. The furniture was a mis-match of wood and looked rather tired and plain. If this was a 'Lambton Room' what is a more basic room like? This room only deserved a three star rating.

We didn't use the restaurant or room service so can't comment on that, other than the prices were on the high side.

Staff pleasant and helpful.

In the lobby/foyer was a wood effect fire that consisited of what looked like a computer screen or flat TV that played a digital image of a flame effect fire - this has to be the most hideous 'thing' I have ever seen is a supposed quality hotel.

I will definitely never stay here again. I'll look for a proper four or five star hotel that actually delivers a product that is value for money.

Beware: the hotel charges a hefty credit card surchage fee.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
SteveJMartin, General Manager at James Cook Hotel Grand Chancellor, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
Hello ChrizBee59

I am very sorry that you did not entirely enjoy your recent stay with us, although I am heartened to read that you found our staff pleasant and helpful.

Whilst our location is very central and provides easy access to the CBD, main shopping and entertainment areas only a small number of our rooms have views.

We charge 1.5% credit card surcharge in line with most other New Zealand hotel.

Best regards

Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

I had a conference starting early the next morning so thought I had better not risk things and would arrive the night before. This hotel is perfectly located on the terrace, just a short walk to most businesses. Check in and check out was a breeze, and I particularly like the baggage storage option so I didn't have to drag it around all day.

Breakfast prices were very reasonable, and there was only an extra $5 tray service for room service which allowed me to stay in the room longer reading over my notes for the day to come.

A really good taxi service for getting back to the airport as well

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SteveJMartin, General Manager at James Cook Hotel Grand Chancellor, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Hello michelleLbritton

Thanks for taking the time to write and post your review. I’m very glad you enjoyed your stay with us in the central city. I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the James Cook Hotel Grand Chancellor in the near future.

General Manger
Chorley
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

We arrived in Wellington by train having travelled on the Northern Explorer all day from Auckland. A taxi from Wellington train station to the hotel cost $10.60 and took about 5-10 minutes. The hotel lobby is huge and very clean. We had booked a Premium King Room which was located on the 22nd floor which great views over the city.

One niggle during the check in process was being asked "you have booked one room"? quickly followed by "this is a double bed". Thankfully we dont get asked this very often at hotels travelling as a male couple so I was slightly surprised and disappointed to be asked these questions in a hotel located in a capital city! However, the staff on the whole were friendly and helpful.

The room was spacious and clean - but two niggles - no safe and wifi at $9 for 2 hours. Come on James Cook other hotels in New Zealand provide free wifi and given we had paid for a premium room we felt a bit short changed.

You can access the hotel two ways - via the main entrance on The Terrace or by a lift at the rear of the hotel onto Lambton Quay which gives quicker access to the sights, bars and restaurants that Wellington has to offer. However, if you like to stay out late the access from Lambton Quay closes at 1am!

We had breakfast each morning of the three days we were there - excellent selection of food - hot and cold and very helpful staff as well.

So overall a good stay but if we are lucky enough to be in Wellington again maybe we will look for a hotel that gives a bit better value for money.

Hi AggyGuy

Thank you for your review – it sounds like you had an enjoyable break in the capital city and made the most of our central location for all Wellington has to offer.

We do have free WIFI available for guests in our lobby in addition to a range of payable options in our accommodation rooms. Thanks also for your positive comments in regards to our breakfast buffet.

I hope we will see you back to stay with us again soon.

Hamilton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

This is a really clean, central location accommodation in the middle of the Wellington CBD. The entrance is welcoming and the staff were friendly and efficient. The rooms were small and very clean. I was on a floor that was many stories up and with the current earthquakes in the area and knowing how badly the Grand Ch in Christchurch was effected during their quake I was very nervous. I actually choose to stay elsewhere on my second night in the city to something low level.

Room Tip: Choose a room on a low floor.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business