“Great location and reasonably priced”

James Cook Hotel Grand Chancellor
Ranked #12 of 46 Hotels in Wellington
“Great location and reasonably priced”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here 3 nights for weekend mini break, great location with direct access to LamtOn Quay and good shopping. Good value hotel, nice enough room and there was a bath which I always like. Only fault was our room was very warm, maybe air con not working properly

• Stayed August 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

We stayed in Wellington for 3 nights at three different hotels and this one rated no. 3 out of the 3 although it was the most expensive! I cannot see that this is a 4 star hotel. Dated decor, sad bathroom with shower over bath, dreary hallways... The only part that seems pepped up and alive is the lobby. Staff were friendly enough and the hotel is certainly central (via lift to shopping mall) for city and airport bus stop. I expect a much higher standard for the price I paid. I do not know whether they have "old" and "new" rooms and we just happened to get an "old" room but then the price should reflect that.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
SteveJMartin, General Manager at James Cook Hotel Grand Chancellor, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Hello Judith69

Thanks for your positive comments regarding our central location and friendly staff – your remarks in this regard certainly echo other reviews we receive. I am sorry that you did not enjoy our rooms to the same degree – I do hope that you will choose to stay with us again soon.

Kind regards

Auckland, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

I stayed here for 1 night on business with a group of collegues in July 2013.
The service at check in was terrible even though we were the only 3 people checking in at the time - the first staff member who "helped us" got distracted halfway through and disappeared, only for the other staff member on the desk to take a few minutes realising we were unattended to and then also offering to "help". We were asked for the same info, credit card etc that we had already provided. This was unnecessary and slowed the check in procedure down greatly.
The rooms are dated and you can hear the water/taps/shower from the other rooms. The hallways were also noisy and foot traffic could be heard from within the room.
The continental breakfast is horribly over priced for what was on offer.
The only redeeming factor about this hotel is its locality and valet parking.

tauranga
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

Stayed here on a great Wotif mystery rate - a great bargain indeed- so to be honest this heavily influences the value aspect
Easy access to town, has its own lifts to drop you from the terrace to lambton quay.
Front office staff enabled an early check in- much appreciated
The hotel has been around a fair while, and perhaps has not quite kept up as per the epxectations of some other reviewers, and yes the foyer lift area is the same (well appeared the same) as it has been for many years. But I had no complaints.
Room was clean, tidy, and everything worked, staff friendly, food nice.

Room Tip: higher floors are better
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

I stayed At this hotel for one night on business. I love Wellington and lived there for 18 years. So I was disappointed with the impression the hotel left me with. I would be sad be if occasional Wellington visitors were left that same impression. for $175 a night, this great city deserves better quality. Nothing was fundamentally wrong or bad. Clean, functionnal, but It was just forgettable. Ennoying little details... Things like being sent to wait by the concierge desk by the receptionist to leave my bags when she could see there was nobody there to take them. Why couldn't she take my bag herself when there were no other clients waiting? Having to send my breakfast back because I had ordered soft-boiled eggs and got hard-boiled ones. Pretty tired room and bland decor. Poor lighting in the bathroom, which was newly redecorated, and these exasperating hair dryers on which you need to hold a button continuously to make them work, making it impossible to properly set your hair (women will understand).
The hotel is well situated in the heart of the city, but some more sophistication is needed at that price.

• Stayed August 2013
New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

I stayed at the James Cook for 3 nights as part of a conference. The property itself is very well located at the exit to the Motorway and with access to the CDB and entertainment precinct. Staff are friendly but reception staff are a little cold and inefficient. I was in room 2410 on the 24th floor. The room was adequate and clean but suffering from a dated feel especially the bathroom. The seat for the in room desk had completely collapsed in the base due to overuse! The couch had a faint wiff of sweat. Other facilities are up to the task. The restaurant serves buffet and A La Cart style meals which are basic but fine. The small Gym area was just adequate but there was access to a more comprehensive gym facility over the road. Overall the property is due for an overhaul and consequently I felt the the rates being charged were 10-20% too expensive, both in the restaurant and for the rooms. Just a note of caution, Parking in the adjacent parking building is VERY expensive. Even without taking up the option of valet parking I was charged $116 for 3 nights parking. (The parking is run by Wilson parking not the James Cook Hotel)

1 Thank justine555
SteveJMartin, General Manager at James Cook Hotel Grand Chancellor, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Hi Justine555

Thanks for taking the time to write and post your comprehensive review. Next time you stay with us I would encourage you to use our valet parking service at only $25.00 per night.

Once again thanks for your review and we all look forward to welcoming you back.

Best regards

Dunedin, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

My husband and I stayed for 3 nights in June. The room was quite tidy and clean, but the bathroom area was a let down. Only had a shower over the bath with a shower curtain and the mirror was badly in need of replacing. My parents were staying in the hotel as well and I thought that we must have not been given a very good room because we had paid for it with a grab one deal but as it turned out our room was much better than what my parents had paid for. My parents were disappointed with the bathroom (which was worse than ours). This hotel is situated in the heart of the city and has a lot to offer but really needs to look modernising their bathrooms.

Room Tip: Check to see what the room contains. Higher floors have better rooms.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Shell_Be_66
SteveJMartin, General Manager at James Cook Hotel Grand Chancellor, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Hi Shell_be_66

Thank you for your review. I’m pleased that you enjoyed our restaurants and central location. We do have a refurbishment plan in place which includes upgrading our bathrooms.

Once again thanks for your feedback and I hope you choose to stay with us again in the future.

Kind regards