“Great location, comfortable”

James Cook Hotel Grand Chancellor
Ranked #12 of 47 Hotels in Wellington
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Clean, tidy, good spot on the terrace and lambton quay, warm room, good size and comfy bed.

Everything you need on a trip. Restaurant and bar a little dated, but still clean and nice, but doesn't stand out in the sea of funky bars and restaurants in downtown wellington.

Would stay here again.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
SteveJMartin, General Manager at James Cook Hotel Grand Chancellor, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2013

Hi Leslie H

Thank you for your review. I’m pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope we can welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

We chose the Club room option which included a large room with comfortable king bed and lovely bathroom amenities, The Club Room at no extra cost served very substantial appetizers and New Zealand wines and was tended by a very charming hostess. We were tired from our trip across Cook Strait on the ferry, so it was nice to visit the Club Room down the hall, have a couple of wines and some lamb kabobs, etc. and then turn in early.

Buffet breakfast was also included, but it was really mediocre. There was lots of food and choices, but nothing was very appealing. I guess that's why I don't particularly like a buffet option.

Hi there,

Thank you for your review. Our Club Lounge facility is a great way to indulge and relax, I am very pleased that you enjoyed this experience.

Our Sojourn café in the lobby provides café-style breakfasts, you may wish to try this next time rather than the buffet breakfast in Whitby's.

We look forward to welcoming you back here soon.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

Would definitely stay again, the staff were very friendly from check in, restaurant staff to room services, close by TSB Arena only a short walk to the waterfront, restaurant very good with reasonable prices, kids enjoyed the snack menu

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Hello,

Thank you for your review. I’m very glad you had a pleasant stay and that the team looked after you. We look forward to you staying with us again soon.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Pleasant and helpful staff. We stayed two nights and found the rooms clean,comfortable and reasonably quiet. We had some difficulty attempting to order room service breakfast from the 24 hour menu as they kept telling us we could not order before 7.00 AM ( our call was made at 6.00 AM due to an early flight departure). They did accomadate us though after a couple of calls, which was much appreciated.

Hello

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, I am sorry that you had some difficulty ordering room service breakfast. I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the James Cook sometime in the near future.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

After a last minute trip to Wellington for business, work booked me into James Cook as our usual place was full.

On arrival the staff were fabulous, so friendly, welcoming and explained everything I would need to know for my stay including all the ammenities open to me. I had a room on the 12th floor, the room itself was very tidy, clean and perfect for one nights last minute stay but wow it was so very dated - the bed had seen better days and everything just felt tired - in fact it was exactly as I remember it from almost 15 years ago when I used to stay for business!

Breakfast the next morning was fabulous - I took advantage of the buffet and it was lovely to have the staff walking around pouring coffee and having a chat, made a lonesome business trip friendlier.

My only negative comments are in relation to the charges on the room - most hotels have free internet access to rooms but this access cost a lot. I also was not impressed with having to pay a credit card fee on the final bill - this also is another example of a practice not done anymore in businesses.

For the room price + extras this was quite an expensive night, I would go back to my usual !

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our breakfast buffet. In regards to internet, we do have a variety of plans in place to best accommodate each guests requirements.

I do hope you decide to stay with us again sometime in the near future.

Reviewed May 26, 2013

Lovely place to stay, central to everything in the city and easy getting to Inter Islander Ferry. Check in was quick and painless especially as we arrived with a bus load of other travellers. The beds are very comfortable and rooms very clean. Everything you need for a good nights sleep. Although on the road side of the hotel, the traffic noise wasn't obvious. Great food, (buffet dinner upstairs) and the pianist playing was exceptional and didn't interrupt the dinner conversations. Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: All the rooms seem to be situated away from the lifts. We certainly weren't bothered by those p...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Hi Jocelyn C

Thank you for your review. I’m very happy to hear you had an enjoyable stay with us and you found our services and products to be of a high standard. I look forward to welcoming you back to the James Cook soon.

Reviewed May 26, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights in a great room with a good view of the harbour. Good location and easy access for those who like to travel by foot to places of interest in Wellington. Biggest gripe is the exorbitant charge for their WiFi connection and the difficulty experienced in making a connection. This is an important factor for travellers in today's world.

Hello Olya W

Thank you for your review. I’m sorry to hear your experience with us was marred by the wi-fi connection. We do have a variety of plans available to suit different requirements.

I do hope you choose to stay with us again.