“Quality hotel in the city centre”

James Cook Hotel Grand Chancellor
Ranked #11 of 47 Hotels in Wellington
Reviewed March 13, 2013

This hotel is close to the cable car and the city centre, everything within walking distance.
We stayed in a premium king room which had a nice view on Wellington. Our car was too high to park in their garage (max. 2,2m), but the staff was really helpfull with this and arranged a parking space at the City Life Hotel next door: really customerfriendly!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kim094
SteveJMartin, General Manager at James Cook Hotel Grand Chancellor, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2013

Hello,

Thank you very much for your review. I’m very pleased you enjoyed your experience with us. Look forward to having you stay with us again soon.

Warm regards

Steve Martin

Write a ReviewReviews (3,251)

Reviewed March 10, 2013

The service and friendly staff are the saving grace for this hotel!

The lobby still looks lovely & the staff are professional but the rooms are old and a bit tired.
I booked through Wotif. I arrived & was told I couldn't have the room until 2pm, which was fine as that is the check in time, but then suddenly a room was available.
It made me wonder if they looked at me in my jeans etc straight off the plane and thought I didn't look that important so they gave me the crappy room.
My room (Terrace Room) had an air conditioning unit right outside and no view. It was dark from being boxed in by surrounding buildings, noisey because of air con and nothing special at all. The wooden slider door etc to bathroom was all very 70's as are all the fittings. They say on the website that these are their renovated rooms - but they are literally just painted with new chair upholstery etc. The room had two double beds which are pretty small so not ideal for a couple to sleep together in.
I went downstairs & requested a room with a king bed. They moved us straight away and we got a bigger brighter room with a couch, king bed & a semi decent view. I was much happier in this one! I have to praise them for doing this and we were very easily transitioned into another room.
The valet parking was free with the deal so this was fantastic as parking is not cheap in Wellington.
The staff were very helpful, although I would have thought they would have known more about the ferries seeing as it's a main way of travel from their city.

I had tossed up between The Rydges (which I know from friends is lovely) & James Cook because of price & free parking. So really I can only blame myself because I had a feeling I should have forked out the extra $50 for the newer hotel. Unfortunately, this hotel has definitely seen better days. I just think their star rating should be more like 3 1/2 for decor but 4 1/2 for service. If you go for service over decor them perhaps you'll love it?

Room Tip: Ask for a Lambton room rather than a Terrace.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Hi there,

Thank you taking the time to write your review and I am very pleased that our team looked after you.

I do hope you choose to stay with us again.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

stayed with them before leaving for south island . loved every bit of our stay loved the staff and the bar. rooms were cozzy. enjoyed our stay with them. some staff might need some training regarding customer care but other than that it was a pleasant stay. very close to the shops. would like to come back if given the chance. keep up the good work.

Room Tip: higher floor
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Hello xIncd

Thank you for your review. I’m glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we were able to complement your time in Wellington.

I hope we will see you here again soon.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

Room 4 star, nice bathroom but toilet too close to wall, cheap seat, shower not good, would not adjust. No safe. Excellent evening buffet and breakfast..
Situated centre town on hill so can exit rear at lower level.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank R H

Hello R H

Thank you for your review. I’m glad that you enjoyed the food at Whitby’s Restaurant and your stay in Wellington.

I Hope to see you at the James Cook again soon.

Kind regards

Reviewed March 10, 2013

We stayed at the James Cook Hotel Grand Chancellor in January and discovered we were sharing the hotel with all of the teams taking part in the Rugby Sevens. There were a lot of hungry young men devouring the buffet but it was quickly replenished. The hotel is excellent with very helpful and friendly staff. It is well situated to walk out and explore Wellington and the nearby Botanical Gardens.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bobsmumanddad

Thank you for your great review.

The hotel does get busy during the Sevens and creates a unique atmosphere for for our guests.

I’m glad you enjoyed your experience and we look forward to welcoming you back here again soon.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

The staff were all friendly and helpful and the hotel foyer is fresh and pleasant. The rooms were clean but were in need of a face lift especially the bathroom.
The TV from the next room could be clearly heard through the wall and the room doors made a loud bang when they closed.
The biggest negative was the parking - we paid $50 for 2 days valet parking which was the cheapest option.
All in all, an ok hotel in the heart of the CBD, very close to everything. Would be good for those travelling on business.

• Stayed: March 2013

Hi there

Thank you for taking the time to write your review - I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I do hope the rest of your time in New Zealand was pleasant and that we will welcome you back soon.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

We were delighted by the quality of the room and the high standard of service from everyone at the James Cook! It would have helped if skype had been readily available on the pc in the business centre.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Hello Roger080

Thank you for your review. I’m glad you had an enjoyable stay with us.

I hope to see you here again soon.

Warm regards