“It's the little things that count.”

James Cook Hotel Grand Chancellor
Ranked #12 of 47 Hotels in Wellington
Reviewed November 7, 2012

This hotel has a perfect location, with lift going straight down to Lambton Quay and bus stops almost outside. Perfect for Super Gold Card holders! We could literally hop on and off throughout the city for nothing. We never use a car in Wellington, except as passengers of our sons.
This was the second year my husband and I have stayed at this hotel in order to celebrate "Guy Fawkes Night" with our grandchildren, who live in Wellington.
Our suite overlooked the harbour and the lounge windows provided a superb view of the Firework display from the barges in the harbour.
The rooms are large and comfortable with enormous beds. The room service was very good. We chose to have all our meals in our room and both the continental and hot breakfasts were excellent.
The evening meals were as the dining room and unlike many room service meals in other hotels were hot!
We have used the dining room on previous visits and the service there was excellent but after a tiring day we were content to relax in the comfort of our room.
The staff without exception were lovely.
One left a little bag of chocolates for our grandchildren, when she heard the were coming to watch the fireworks.
The looks on my grand children's faces, their "oohs and aahs" as the spectacular unfolded above the city skyline will be remembered for some time, as will the kind gesture by that staff member.
It really is the little things that count.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ayeuplass
Write a ReviewReviews (3,299)

Reviewed November 6, 2012

I stayed on business. Recently refurbished rooms. Very comfortable and clean. Great views of Wellington. In the middle of the business district. Easy walk to the tram and botanical gardens, and to Te Papa.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank JessiOllie
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I travel a lot for busienss and have few pleaseures. One of my favorites is watching Discovery Channel and during most of my stay management choose to favour a chineese tour group and change the tv channels to show chineese content. Obviously not the best time for me to relax after a long day at work. Stayed at room 1823 which had a view over a concrete rooftop.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed for a couple of nights on business. Room comfortable, clean. Service polite and prompt. My only problem is having to pay for Wifi. I don't have to pay extra for hot water or an iron so why the internet. Many regional hotels and Asian hotels offer this complimentary.

Reviewed November 3, 2012

I have been staying at the James Cook in Wellington on businesses for the last seven months on a monthly basis. Ever booking was made via their website using my credit card (paying in advance). Once the booking / credit card had gone through ok I recived a confirmation email. On my last trip my husband accompanied me and we stayed an extra couple of nights to have a nice wekend away. Upon booking the hotel in advance i received the usual email confirming the booking and that my credit card had gone through ok. We stayed the weekend and left early on the sunday morning, when we went to check out we were told we owed the hotel money for the nights I'd booked. We dealt unfortunately with a very rood staff member called Suni. I immediately explained I'd booked on the website and payed by credit card when i booked, he insisted loudly that we had not payed. This went on for around 15 minutes with him becoming louder and more aggressive. In fact my husband stepped in because he was not happy with the way Suni was speaking to me. There were a number of people in the reception who were watching what went on, we were basically made to feel like criminals. I asked to speak to a manager and he refused to go and get him. He also told me it was not possible to pay in advance on the website and basically accused me of lying. I informed him I stayed on regular basis and always paid in advance via the website. In the end I had to log onto the internet and show him the cofirmation email with the credit card number on. He then backed off finally and said there must have been some problem at their end. We insisted we wanted to the hotel manager and left two phone numbers a mobile and our home phone. We returned home and waited for a phone call, it never came, we both work like most people during the week but have answer phones on both our mobile and our home phone. The hotel also had my email address. We never received a phonecall instead my credit card which i gave to cover any use of the mini bar was immediately run without my permission, they also charged a fee for running the card. I then received an email saying thanks for staying unbelievable!!
I can't beleive the way we were treated obviously something went wrong with the internet booking but the hotel never bothered to contact us and I could not beleive how awful there reception staff were. As a customer that had stayed every month on business I think this is unbelivable! I certainly won't be staying there going forward and will be booking another hotel each month.

7  Thank nicoladoyle
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I booked a night in a club lounge room for my husband's birthday celebration, even though we live in the city. Great value at $214 a night where we enjoyed drinks and nibbles in the club lounge from 5-7pm with stunning views over the city and harbour. We were very lucky to be upgraded to a suite and it was superb. The bed was huge! The Club Room rate includes full buffet breakfast and the chap at the egg station makes fantastic omelettes. Definitely a "must do" again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Roddanz
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Stayed here several nights while in Wellington on business. A great location on Lambton Quay, just a couple of blocks from the Harbour. Rooms average size, but chairs and couch rather uncomfortable. Bathroom decent size, but odd shower. It is in a tub (a giant tub), and low on the wall so I had to duck to wash my hair (I'm only 5'8, so not that tall!). Bar/cafe and restaurants in the hotel, parking garage, and easy to get a taxi from here, making it very convenient. However, they charge for wi-fi, and limit the amount of data you can transfer.