James Cook Hotel Grand Chancellor
  • Fitness center
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Park Hotel Lambton Quay(Wellington)
Quest on Johnston(Wellington)
  • Fitness center
  • Free Internet
  • Pool
3,405 results
All reviewslambton quaygreat locationvalet parkingcentral locationcable carbuffet breakfastbit datedeasy accessthe club loungepleasant staygood sizebusiness tripwould stay againte papanew zealandliftbath
Reviewed January 12, 2012

Pretty good stay. Enjoyed it and worth it. Very close to good shops etc.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
SteveJMartin, General Manager at James Cook Hotel Grand Chancellor, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2012

Hi there,

Thank you for your review. I’m very glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed January 11, 2012

We have always enjoyed the James Cook hotel but hadn't stayed there for some years until the last Christmas break and we were not disappointed.
We arrived early at 10 o`clock and were very pleased to be given early check in. The staff were helpful and efficient at all times. We had a spacious, comfortable room on the 25th floor and it was very quiet at all times.
This hotel is very well located for shopping etc in the central city and is a couple of blocks from the waterfront where there is always something happening.
We will stay there again.

Room Tip: Probably a higher floor. Our room had recently been refurbished and we were very pleased with it.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple

Hello,

Thank you very much for your review. I am pleased you found your stay with us enjoyable and that we could complement your time in Wellington City. I am very proud of the level of service our team deliverers and if is fantastic for all of us to get this feedback. I look forward to having you stay with us again in the future.

Once again, thank you.

Reviewed January 8, 2012

I have always stayed at the James Cook when visiting Wellington as the location is great and you can usually get a good deal over Christmas. You pretty much drive straight off the motorway into the hotel's car park on The Terrace and a lift will take you down from the lobby into the midst of the shops on Lambton Quay. Unfortunately every time I have stayed there we have struck organizational issues. This time 2 of the 3 rooms we had booked were not available when we arrived, well after the advertised check-in time. In fact we had to wait 2 and half hours and lug our bags between rooms. Previously we had been rudely ejected from a top floor lounge despite it being featured in the information in our room. The lounge, it transpires, is only available to those staying on the top floor. Why then was it mentioned in the information in ALL rooms! Generally there is a feeling of disorganization at this hotel and the split lifts make it hard to meet up with friends who are roomed in the other tower. Our three rooms were split over three floors and two towers. Little things that spoil a holiday. Will try another hotel in Wellington next visit.

• Stayed: January 2012
SteveJMartin, General Manager at James Cook Hotel Grand Chancellor, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2012

Thank you for your review. We have obviously dropped the ball on this occasion, please accept my apologies for the shortfalls in service that you experienced. This is certainly not the level of service or hospitality that we are striving to achieve.

The club lounge is located on the top floor of the hotel and is reserved exclusively for club floor guests. Information about the club floor is in all rooms as we have many return guests, some of whom will elect to book a club floor on subsequent visits.

I do hope that you will reconsider and stay with us again next time you are in Wellington.

Kind regards

Reviewed January 7, 2012

Have booked rooms here several times now on cheap deals through Wotif. Usually I pay about $100 or a bit more for deals that include parking and late checkout. One time I paid $170 for a deal which included a $50 shopping voucher at the lovely Kirkaldie & Stains department store and several other bonuses such as valet parking.

I have been in their standard rooms which are perfectly adequate and in the lambton rooms which have a nicer bed and fabrics and are slightly more spacious but otherwise nothing special. None of the rooms I have been in here have particularly nice bathrooms, they are always shower over bath type which I don't really like but will put up with for a fair price and otherwise clean and presentable room.

I find this hotel overly strict regarding the use of credit cards to secure the booking, had to pay a $200 bond (in case I used mini-bar etc) because I didn't have my credit card on me despite hotel already being paid for and having stayed with them regularly with no issue.

My last visit was a bit odd, on checking in I was given the key to someone else's room only to wander into their room while they were in there.
I returned to reception and was given another key, the room was however right at the end of corridor and felt like the "nasty room". To be fair on the inside it was no different from the other rooms. Then I went to call for room service as I was starving to find the phone wasn't working. A second trip back to reception and another apology but no offer of making up for the run around. I asked that they waive the tray charge on my room service since I had to go up and down two times which they agreed to.

Room service was tasty but not gourmet (decent portions though) and two drink vouchers for the bar were given as a "sorry" which I thought was nice but was unable to use them that night.

Overall this hotel is generally a good deal at the $100-120 mark but any more and I would want extras included or I would book something nicer such as Rydges or Copthorne.

Room Tip: Lambton rooms are nicer for couples with proper big beds and slightly nicer decor but depending on the deal may not be worth the extra cost. Try to get a harbour view.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank IssyMoo

Thank you for your review. I am very disappointed to hear about your last stay with us, clearly we did not provide the level of service that we pride ourselves on delivering. Please accept my apologies for the mix up with your room, this is well below our usual efficient and high service standards. Once again I would like to offer my sincere apologies. I do hope that you will choose to stay with us again.

Kind regards

Reviewed January 2, 2012

Nice quick check in, lovely rooms, easy access to the CBD what more can you ask for?

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for your review. I’m glad you found our product and service standards satisfactory. I look forward to having you stay with us in the future.