“Entrance with Taxi”

James Cook Hotel Grand Chancellor
Ranked #11 of 47 Hotels in Wellington
Reviewed November 20, 2011

The check in and out a pain if you had a rental car. No room to stop due to all the taxis using all the spaces. The car was left in a dangerous place especially hard if you have a disable person to push or guide with luggage. No help with our luggage so grab a trolley ourselves. The bathroom bad chips to bath and bad crack to sink.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank D E
SteveJMartin, General Manager at James Cook Hotel Grand Chancellor, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We endeavour to have our Concierge team meet all guests and be available to assist with luggage and car parking, I am disappointed that this did not occur on this occasion, please accept my apologies for the shortfall in our service. I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel.

Steve Martin

Write a ReviewReviews (3,301)

Reviewed November 17, 2011

My wife and I have stayed here several times before and although found it acceptable it was nothing special. The 'happy hour' in the bar was to be avoided at all costs with the tables soaked in beer and wine and difficult to get service, certainly somewhere you didn't want to be if you were heading out in decent clothes!
This has all changed now and has in our opinion become somewhere we will chose to stay rather than the last resort. The valet parking was faultless as was check in. The rooms were super clean and fresh with good seating and a comfortable bed. We were in the Lambton rooms which were very quiet and we slept soundly till 8.30am without disturbance.
We did not eat here this visit but will on our next visit, the cafe looked particularly clean and inviting.

Room Tip: The Lambton rooms are super quiet but no real outlook.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review. I am glad you and your wife enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back to our Hotel.

Reviewed November 13, 2011

You can not fault the location of this Hotel so central to everything!!! We didn't have a car so the two accesses to & from the Hotel are great. Staff were very helpful. We stayed in the old part. The room was nice and roomy but the rooms are paper thin. Our room was at the end of a corridor thank goodness but you know when your neighbours are home, having a shower etc other than that fault its a great value Hotel for the location. Oops almost forgot the fridge took at lot of getting use to, its very noisy at night & we wish we had turned ours off

Room Tip: End of a corridor if you are in the old part of the Hotel and turn the fridge off if you want a good...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Aggie111

Thank you for your review. I am glad you enjoyed your time with us. We do have a regular maintenance program in place repairing & replacing our mini bar fridges – I’m sorry that the fridge in your room was not attended to. Again, thank you for your feedback. I hope you chose to stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed November 10, 2011

I have been to this hotel on numerous occasions. Although the reception staff are changing every few hours and some are really helpful and some are not, they do try - it seems to depend on their personal experience of the hotel itself. BUT, the main point of my review is that it is reasonable accommodation for this city - neither expensive nor cheap - and every room I have ever been in is absolutely spotless! Even the bathrooms have sufficient space to place all your toiletries and being a female, to me, this is important. Whilst on the subject of bathrooms, they actually have lovely big baths and the shower pressure is wonderful, although I hasten to add, the shower is a fixed rose in the wall as opposed to those on a "lead". (The ladies will know what I mean).
Mostly I have had a king-sized bed style room - perhaps the mattress is a little on the hard side, but sometimes it has been a Queen plus a single. But that said, this is a personal preference rather than a criticism. (Once, being on my own on that particular trip, I decided to sleep in the single bed and found it somewhat softer, perhaps more so than the accompanying Queen bed in the room!).
A fully stocked mini-bar (which I seldom use) plus ample "office" space, a flat screen TV, ethernet internet connection (I keep forgetting to ask if there is free Wifi available), lots of interesting bathroom "freebies" and all the other accoutrements one might want in their room including tea, coffee etc. etc.
One thing I adore is that there is the ability to have fresh air - not much, but it is actually available!
The position of the hotel is high above the city and has car parking, multiple lifts (elevators) which service different parts of the accommodation. Two of these lefts descend down to Willis Street - a main shopping area of Wellington and extremely close to places such as Lambton Quay (also a main shopping centre), Te Papa museum, Courtney Place (Wellington's night life), the New Zealand Parliament, the majestic Victorian building housing the Railway Station and is some NZ $40.00 taxi trip from the Wellington airport.
'Corporate cabs' is the elite of the cabbies with 'Combined Taxis' being the major operator in Wellington. The fees are very similar (perhaps identical) but given a choice, I will always choose Corporate cabs. Somehow, the drivers seem so much more professional.
There are 2 main restaurants in the hotel - the one on the lobby floor serves a limited menu but the food has always been superb. The main restaurant on the 17th floor is "interesting". I describe it that way because it serves both "buffet" style as well as a la carte. I usually prefer the lobby floor restaurant, but in this last trip, I selected to go to the 17th floor. The starter (entree), I chose was yummy, but the main course (pork) was awful (dried out and most inedible), so I sent it back! I hate doing this, but happily, there was apologies all round and no fuss whatsoever. Interestingly, the next night (I can hear you ask, WHY did I return the next night?), everything was absolutely wonderful.
If you do not like to eat in the hotel, there are numerous restaurants very close by, but I am a little lazy when it comes to having limited time to merely explore for the sake of exploring. And yes, I have eaten at at least two restaurants very close by, and yes, the food has been everything I expected.
Oh, I forgot to say how close the hotel was to the exhilarating 'Waterfront' of Wellington AND to the theatres. I also forgot to say there is a full gym - I don't know about a spa as I am not overly interested in healthy stuff whilst I am travelling :-)

Room Tip: The 26th floor is the top and also has one of those "private" eateries etc - probably a ba...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write this detailed review. I am very happy that you find our hotel a reasonable and convenient accommodation provider. Just so you know, we do have WiFi as well as Ethernet internet connection available throughout the Hotel. It is always great to receive feedback from our regular guests and I really appreciate it. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel.

Reviewed October 31, 2011

I stayed two nights at the James Cook in mid October. The hotel is situated on The Terrace and if you drive off the Motor Way at the lights at The Terrace you can drive straight into the car park. The foyer is medium size but it also serves as a walk way to lifts that take pedrestrian traffic to Lambton Quay. This means the foyer becomes very busy in the mornings and afternoons.

The rooms are modern but the rooms on the higher floors via the lift further away from reception desk are better and quieter. The hotel has a gym but no guests laundry. The restaurant and bar area are appealing but found bar service somewhat on the slow side. The food more then made up for the slow bar service. The buffet had a huge variety of very tasty foods.

The hotel is situated in the middle of the shopping area with numerous quality establishments along Lambton Quay and on the street surrounding. The cable car is only 20 metres along Lambton Quay from the hotel's entrance. The cable car cost $3.50 one way and takes you to a great scenic spot and to the top entrance of the Wellington Botanic Gardens. You are within easy walking distance of the parliament house area and with the maps provided at reception you can walk to the waterfront and to the National Museum, Te Papa which has free entry (and is a must if visiting Wellington!)

The James Cook is not the newest hotel in Wellington but it provides excellent value for money in this beautiful city.

Room Tip: Attempt to arrive at the hotel before the 5pm rush.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
SteveJMartin, General Manager at James Cook Hotel Grand Chancellor, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2011

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and that we were able to complement your time in Wellington City. Our location is slightly unusual for a Hotel due to the thoroughfare between two very busy districts, but it does offer incomparable ease of getting around the City – and allows for great people watching opportunities!! Thank you again for your feedback and I look forward to having you stay with us again.

Reviewed October 24, 2011

The Check in was very prompt, a check in Agent saw that I was waiting and moved to another desk to process my check in, it was good to see proactive customer service.
Room 2312, Lambton Rooms, in the main tower of the hotel was what we booked, we were hoping for views out toward the harbour but the way the main tower is poitioned only a few rooms at the end of the building have these views.
The room was a very average size. I love the Brisbane hotel so the size surprised me, the Vaulted ceilings helped in making the room feel a bit more spacious, without it the room would have only suited hobbits, the bathroom was better than the Brisbane Hotel, it was larger and had a better layout.
I enquired about upgrading to the Club floor but for $100 NZD for two it was not going to be worth it, it included Breakfast, internet access and evening happy hour in the lounge, but as we had internet available ourselves, it was not of such a great value, it would have been if the view from the room could have been improved, the Fujitsu building from Room 2312 was ok but nothing inspiring and it was interesting looking into the foothills of Wellington.
The bed and furnishings were very good, the thing I really liked but was of no use to me as I was on holiday was the business amenity on the desk of stapler, staples paper clips etc, that was something I've not seen before, it's simple and must come in handy for business travellers.
I arrived on the Thur and my partner was joining me on the fri night, when you book the room for two and there is only one bathrobe, it's a bit odd. I called for an extra bathrobe at 5.45pm on Thurs and it never arrived, we got by without it, it would have been nice to receive it.
Their big plus is I woke up in the early hours realizing I had not made a wake up call to go on an early morning tour and they set it perfectly.
We didn't use the hotels Food and Beverage facilities as my Partner does not like hotel food, it's a personal thing, so we dined out in the many great places to eat in Wellington.
I would happily stay here again, all the staff we met were helpful and courteous, from maids in the corridor to staff at reception.
The other odditty was the mini bar had a price for a premium beer as weel as a regular beer, but only had 4 bottles of Heineken, so could I have only claimed having consumed 2 regular beers?
**one point of note is the Hotel room door did not have an automatic closer, this I found strange for a number of reasons, fire safety as well as personal security, you have to make sure you pull the door closed as you leave.
The one really handy thing thing is in this Hotel despite is being located on the Terrace, and Wellington is very Hilly, they have a second elevator that will take you down to Lambton Quay (St Level)

Room Tip: It's hard, you would be best to contact the hotel direct to ask about room postions as due to th...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review. It is great to receive detailed feedback from our guests. We do endeavour to ensure our guests experience with us is pleasurable and convenient, in your case there were a few inconsistencies which I have discussed with the team. Again, thank you for your review and I hope you choose to stay with us again.

Kind regards

Reviewed October 15, 2011

Location is good, but:

- Whole hotel is a little bit old and tired and could do with being refurbished.
- Rooms are poorly sound insulated and carry noise from rooms next door and from corridor.
- The staff need to retrained on how to provide good customer service. In general, they're surely and uncaring.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
SteveJMartin, General Manager at James Cook Hotel Grand Chancellor, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2011

Thank you for your review. I am disappointed to hear your time with us was not satisfactory. We work hard to ensure that our guests have a pleasurable experience with us, this was not the case during your stay - please accept my apologies for this. I do however appreciate your feedback and hope you will choose to stay with us again.