3,553 results
All reviewslambton quaygreat locationvalet parkingcentral locationcable carbit datedbuffet breakfastthe club loungeeasy accesspleasant staygood sizebusiness tripwould stay againte papanew zealandliftbath
Reviewed September 17, 2011

Rooms a little dated but its made up for in service.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
SteveJMartin, General Manager at James Cook Hotel Grand Chancellor, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2011

Hi there,
Thank you for your review. I appreciate your feedback and have taken it into consideration. I hope you stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed September 14, 2011

We stayed one night to attend the Wearable Arts Show at the TSB Arena, which was just a 5-10 minute walk from the hotel. We arrived in the morning and were very pleased to be told our room was ready for us. The room was tastefully decorated and very comfortable for me, my husband and adult daughter. Staff at reception, concierge and the restaurant were very helpful and pleasant. We were impressed with the full buffet breakfast which was included in our room rate. We left our bags at the hotel after checking out, as our flight was not leaving until the evening. On our return, the concierge was most helpful arranging a shuttle for us to go to the airport. We were more than happy with our stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: Room 1502 was quiet, and sunny. Even though you do look at another building, it was not close.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
SteveJMartin, General Manager at James Cook Hotel Grand Chancellor, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2011

Thank you for your review. I am very pleased to hear you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. The World of Wearable Arts is a wonderful show and I am glad we were able to complement your time in Wellington City. We look forward to having you stay with us in the future.

Reviewed September 12, 2011

This hotel was a "tour stop", but had good breakfast and nice amenities.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family

Hi there

Thank you for your review. Our buffet breakfast at Whitby’s is always well received and I’m glad you enjoyed it. I do hope you will return for a longer stay with us in the future.

Reviewed September 9, 2011

Stayed here 7-9 September - right before the World Cup and during Wearable Arts Awards. Our request for a high floor, quiet room was delivered when we checked in. Staff were pleasant but perhaps a "Kia Ora" as part of the greeting would have been nice for the thousands of overseas visitors to our shores?

Room 2513 was clean, spacious and very comfortable. Shower was hot and water plentiful - though for my tall husband it wasn't as functional as it was for me at 5" not much. For the sake of a few dollars the toilet seat could be replaced, otherwise this room was everything you could expect. Ironing board & iron for the glad rags in the room was appreciated, without the inconvenience of having to request one. House keeping was efficient and delivered in all areas.

First night enquired at reception about somewhere for dessert - their in-house restaurant was recommended, together with a place on the waterfront. As it was chilly, we opted to check out the in-house option first. A shame that the gentleman on reception was not aware that for $15 you could partake of the dessert buffet - just a training issue, but could influence potential customers before they go elsewhere.

Sorry to say the buffet had the potential to be great, but it was just cheap and nasty. Ice-cream - of which NZ does so well, tasted like the budget stuff at Pak N Save. Pavlova - a NZ staple - was just a sugary blob - Pak N Save would have been better in this instance! The chocolate brownie (from memory) was just a bland, insipid offering. Hot pudding was ok, but the custard - was it actually made with full cream, NZ milk? It was lumpy and watery - as the only warm offering on a chilly night, disappointing. Chocolate "Fondue" was a nice touch and the only redeeming feature. As a seasoned traveller I prefer to eat offsite, but thought (wrongly!), that you couldn't go wrong with dessert. The latte was good, which helped wash down these poor offerings.

Location - fantastic! Everything was very accessible and the concierge was helpful with directions. Also stored our luggage without an issue - infact the gentleman on duty was very friendly and personable. A great Ambassador for us as a nation.

Obviously I am a Kiwi (and very proud!) - I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this Hotel to travellers from around the globe - just don't eat dessert here! With a few (inexpensive) tweeks, this Hotel has the potential to deliver in all arenas.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
SteveJMartin, General Manager at James Cook Hotel Grand Chancellor, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write this detailed review. I am glad to hear of the service you received from our Concierge team and have passed on your compliments.
Our buffet in Whitby’s Restaurant is normally very popular and well received. I am disappointed to hear about the condition of the dessert buffet on this occasion. It was certainly not up to our usual standards and I do apologize for the quality of the desserts.
Again, thank you for your feedback and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed August 26, 2011

The hotel was convenient for the city centre, yet still managed to be quiet and restful. Rooms had been renovated to a high standard. The beds were comfortable and the rooms were clean. All the staff were very helpful.
Considering the price of other hotels in the CBD, I thought it was excellent value.
Would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on The Terrace side of the building wher there is less traffic and it will be quieter.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
SteveJMartin, General Manager at James Cook Hotel Grand Chancellor, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope we will see you again soon.