“Budget accommodation” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 46 Hotels in Wellington
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Budget accommodation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2010

Perfectly adequate accommodation. We stayed here for a night before departing on a roadtrip. Room had a small kitchenette which was useful. Small bathroom. TV. Good view. Clean and adequate. Breakfast was thrown in. It's really central to town so ideal if you want to do a bit of exploring.

• 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Polish first
Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2010

They couldn't find our reservation at check-in, when I showed them the email conf., they upgraded the room gratis. The room was fine. Kind of weird-- only one huge drawer. I supposed they expect people to live out of the suitcase--except for hanging closet space.
TV had issues and didn't work for several of the days we were there because of server problems. Bed and linens good.
But location was great- right in the shopping district. Easy walk to Parliment and waterfront. We walked to restaurant and theater district - about 12 min walk. Parking was $20 a day in a secure garage.

Napier, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2010

Got a special wotif mystery deal at $NZ77 for a king sized bed. Read the reviews here and wasn't expecting too much but was pleasently surprised. Came via the airport bus and got off in Lambton Quay [asked the driver which was the closest stop to Plimmer Steps]. Walked around the corner to Plimmer Steps, up to the first level [about 20 steps] and followed the sign to the elevator that took me straight to reception. Note here that during office hours you can enter from Lambton Quay through the AMI Insurance Mall and use their up and down escalator to get to the 1st level of Plimmer Steps [good if you are getting on a bit or with heavy luggage]. Lovely receptionist [may have been Russian or similar] and was quickly checked in and given 2 pass key cards without even asking. The room was very modern, flat screen tv on wall, broadband connection [extra charge] lovely bathroom with a good strong shower. Usual soaps, shampoo etc. Minibar also. Only moan was that the king bed was one of those that was 2 beds joined together and the join was a bit bumpy, like a sofa bed with the bar in the middle. Still, I just slept on the one side and had a good sleep. Could hear the slight sound of tv in another room and a bit of noise in the corridor as people left at around 7am. Got back after the football [about 10pm on Tuesday night] and popped into the bar for a drink - not open - but with it being such a small hotel I didn't really expect them to be waiting up on the odd chance that I might pop in on the way to bed. Can't comment of dinner athe restaurant but you are right in town and can eat anywhere [and Wellington downtown is very safe]. Breakfast was the standard eggs, bacon, sausages etc etc at $NZ23 which is pretty standard price wise. There is an asian-like cafe in that AMI mall that do english breakfasts and more exotic stuff for much cheaper so that option is available if you don't want to pay the 23 bucks. While checking out and using the internet at reception [$2 for 20 minutes] saw the reception staff in actiond ealing with guests and they were very professional and helpful including making phone calls on behalf. Breakfast staff were also very friendly and helpful, cleaners on my floor were also cheerful. I would gladly pay double what I did for what I got, not sure of their normal rate but this place is as good as the likes of the Ibis or Grand Chancellor James Cook in Wellington.
It sounds like I have shares in the place but I can't recommend this place enough, I'll be back.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Christchurch, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2010

Have stayed in a lot better for the price. No restaurants in vicinity open after show at the Arena so ordered room service - chef gone home !!!! Sunday evening before flying home - decided to go to bar/restaurant for a couple of hours - both closed !!! Very basic linen supplied.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Auckland, NZ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2010

Cheap, clean, handy location, quiet. Not a fan of Travelodge, but this one is good.

Wellington, New Zealand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2010

Each year the company I work with holds a conference in Wellington and provides hotels for us all to stay in. Unfortunately for myself and others we were allocated to the Travelodge hotel.

Even being a Wellingtonian I struggled to find this hotel. I feel sorry for any other individual not familliar with our roads to try and find it.

As their check in was not until 2 pm and our conference began at 12:30pm I checked my bags in early. I received my bag claim ticket and went on my way.

On return, as a large group, we queued for ages as only one lift was going (to the reception only). Once we reached reception the hotel staff seemed unable to cope with the mass of people checking in at once. Not only that, when I went to check in and handed over my bag claim ticket I did not receive my bag. I went to my room and tried the key card and it did not work. I went back down on the only lift that went between the reception and the rooms to then queued up again to get a card that worked and my bags. Once I had received my bags and a new card I returned to my room. The card did not work again. Third time I was lucky. This was an extremely inconvenient as we had a short time to be ready for the bus to take us to our evening event.

After having checked in and had regrouped with fellow colleagues we discovered only those that were Samoan, Polynesian or Maori had been asked to pay a bond for the mini bar but no European individual had. I find this very racist and uncalled for.

Because the lifts were broken (and still are by the sounds of other reviews), the difficulty in finding the hotels location and the racist request for only those who were, for a better term, a darker shade of pale, to pay a bond I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank billytheblacksmith
Whangarei, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2010

This hotel is in a great location, just town the steps and you're in Lampton Quay, cental Wellington. We only stayed hear as Wellington was very busy and everything else was either booked or very expensive. If you book on a Tuesday you get a good deal. If I had to pay normal prices I would have been dissappointed. The room was very small, but the bed was comfortable and the room was quiet and clean. The staff were very friendly and helpful. There were no wine glasses, not enough tea bags and milk, nor did they provide hand towells and face cloths. Just one bath towell each. There were no free movie channels. Movies cost $20. Which I thought was excessive. Our key card was deactivated half way through out stay. However, if you just want a comfortable, clean, quiet bed in the heart of Wellington and aren't too worried about the extra's and you book on a Tuesday to get a great deal - then it's fine. If however you're paying the usual rate - then I would look around a bit more.