“Good but watch parking your car.”

Travelodge Hotel Wellington
Ranked #15 of 46 Hotels in Wellington
New York City, New York
“Good but watch parking your car.”
Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

Staff were really nice. We had a nice room with comfy bed and room was clean and fairly large. Room 2006. The only issue we had was the parking. Hotel entrance is through a public parking building. We asked if it was safe to park there as we had a rental car and we were told there had been No issues. We got up early to make our ferry and found our rental car had been broken into. Side window smashed and my $800 iPhone which I stupidly left in car was taken as well as a NZ cell phone I had also just purchased. Close to $1000 gone plus $360 to the rental car company for the broken window. The hotel gave us back the money for our 1 night stay which was good. They need to warn people clearly as we had several locals who were parking in the building for work come up and say its notorious for cars staying at hotel to be broken into. The police told us they sometimes do operations to try and stem the break ins. So I think all hotel guests should be made aware it is totally unsafe to leave your car in the building.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Polish first
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Brilliant hotel considering what you're getting - awesome central location, good price, and good facilities (clean, easy on the eye, comfortable). Check in was without a hassle, staff memeber was helpful and even got an early check in! Despite what people may say about the lift... there's instructions on how to use ya card, and if you can't follow that, hmm...
Overall great stay, would and will stay again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank OuterLegsRace
Nigel W, Manager at Travelodge Hotel Wellington, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Dear OuterLegsRace,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel we really appreciate it. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Nelson, New Zealand
Reviewed March 22, 2014

After reading some previous reviews, I was not expecting too much from this property. I choose this hotel for its location and price, and was not dis-appointed. The room was small, but adequate, and was very clean and tidy, with good harbour and city views. Staff were friendly and helpful. Bed was comfy, and shower had great pressure. Although I only stayed one night, I would choose this hotel again if in Wellington. David B

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Dear David_B20142014,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us, I do hope you will stay with us again in the future.

Johor Bahru, Johor, Malaysia
Reviewed March 21, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 2 nights and it was good. Excellent location for a shopaholic like me! A few steps down and Et voila, u find ur self in the heart of Lambton quay. Easy parking tho a little pricey but then again, parking is ex no matter where u go in Wellington. Friendly staff and very accommodating. Clean and comfy beds. Small kitchenette but just fine for short stay. Pretty good value for money considering location. Just wish the wifi options were more appealing. But all in all a good stay.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear Karlz A,

Thank you for your review it is much appreciated. I am thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us and we met your expectations.

Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed March 21, 2014 via mobile

This place is bad. The rooms are small and not very nice, the staff are ok but don't care really. The drains smell. I think maybe the staff are reading scripts their bosses have given them to avoid beatings? The worst part is that no one tells you how to use their insane lift so you spend the day in the lift with other baffled guests who can't get to their rooms. Bring monopoly.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Nigel W, Manager at Travelodge Hotel Wellington, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Dear Andrew C,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel. I am sorry you had issues in the lift, there is a detailed instruction sheet in each lift with pictures on how to use them. Please understand this is for guest security and to ensure that only our guests use the lifts. One of our other reviewers pointed out in his review that he had read bad reports, but simply followed the simple instructions in the lift without any problems. Your comments about the staff do not reflect the typical comments about the team, I am sorry you felt this way.

Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed March 20, 2014

I stayed three night at the Travelodge Wellington with a group. I believe all of us were generally dissatisfied with the hotel! Our largest complaint was their wi-fi policy. Each room (not each guest in the room) had 15 minutes of free wi-fi every 24 hours available in the reception area only. The charge for use of wi-fi in the room was exorbitant (I believe NZ$20) and that was for 24 hours.

There were no laundry facilities available in the hotel. The rooms were TINY! Beds not overly comfortable.

The some of front desk people were not able to give accurate directions to various places around Wellington.

The tour leader requested a very early wake-up call for most of the tour but some of us were not continuing with the tour so she asked that we did NOT receive the 3:15am call but we did get it anyway.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Natalie I,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am sorry you found your overall stay with us disappointing. I noted you are from the States; where I believe WIFI is generally free when staying in hotels. This is not the case in New Zealand and charges do apply, there are options for booking rates that include internet. These would not have been available to you through the tour you booked. I would like to correct you by advising we have a laundry service that operates 6 days a week excluding public holidays. I am surprised that my team was not able to provide you directions, as we always try and assist and Google has been a great tool for hotel staff for many years now.

Kind regards

Halifax, Canada
Reviewed March 19, 2014

Stayed here with two friends in March 2014. The room was your average hotel room. Had two single beds and a pull out couch. The beds were so comfortable even the pull out couch! The bathroom was nice and clean and so was the room. We ran into two issues here. The first one was that all of our cards for the room stopped working at least two times each. Which was really frustrating because we would have to go back down to the lobby every time to fix it. The second issue was that we were told when booking that our room was 129$ per night. But during check out they charged us 139$ the first night and 159$ the second night. When we told them that they had they had no record of anyone telling us that price. But in the end they did refund us the overcharge that they charged us. So we were happy about that. Overall a great hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Dear JN1714,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad you found your stay satisfactory and our beds comfortable. I hope you enjoy the rest of your time in New Zealand.