“Great "weekender" in the Capital”

Travelodge Hotel Wellington
Ranked #14 of 47 Hotels in Wellington
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Booked for a "girls" weekend away; we wanted to be centrally located and comfortable without spending a fortune. This hotel fitted the brief perfectly. The location was great, we could go pretty much every where we wanted on foot. Our room was small but clean and tidy; great views too. The only contact we had with the staff was briefly on check-in and check-out; no problems there, they were efficient and polite. We chose not to eat at the hotel as central Wellington has an abundance of great eateries to suit all budgets. We did not need to use the internet or mini-bar in the room; prices for these seemed somewhat inflated but perhaps this is the norm for Wellington .
If I was staying longer, or had to spend more time in the room I possibly would've felt a bit cramped, but for our purpose the room was just fine, and I would have no hesitation in returning. I would happily recommend this hotel to others who want a comfortable and central place to stay for a night or two in Wellington without blowing the budget.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Nigel W, Manager at Travelodge Hotel Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2013

Dear Guest
I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and the hotel met your requirements. Our internet and minibar prices are the norm for Wellington and other major cities. Whilst the rooms are not huge, the whole point is to offer guests value for money. We don’t expect you to be in your room all that much, so why pay for floor space you don’t need. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,840)

Reviewed July 1, 2013

This hotels location is all it has going for it. Staff on check in did not listen when asked a question and proceeded to challenge me that my AMEX was actually a debit card? Rooms are small, old with stains on the tiles in the shower, dirty curtains and damaged thread pulled carpet. The small table in the room is inadequate for any form of work to be done on it with very low chairs. If you arrive on a Sunday the restaurant is closed and staff are not sure about room service? Breakfast is very poor and I would challenge the freshness. What they claim to be a bar has a very limited selection with no tap beer. Rooms are very noisy with almost no benefit from closing the window. Stay somewhere else...........

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank FamilyTripers

Dear Guest
I am sorry we did not meet your expectations these are thoughts and I have to respect that. However, the comments you made are extreme and inaccurate.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

The rooms in this hotel are extremely small but are comfortable. The staff were polite but not overly helpful as they obviously did not seem to have systems in place to communicate what their guests required. We had asked for a shuttle to be ordered for when we left and when we returned to the hotel that afternoon the staff were not sure whether this had been ordered or not. They run a mini bar system which I detest in hotels as it means that you need to check this as soon as you arrive to make sure that everything is there and in this case there were items missing which as I found out were no longer supplied and the cost of the bottled water was extremely expensive. You don't actually need to purchase bottled water in NZ as the tap water is completely safe to drink. On the plus side the hotel is right in the middle of the city and I found it to be quite quiet with only minimal street noise.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest
Thanks for taking the time to review our hotel. I shall pass your comments onto the team, I am sorry you felt they were not as helpful as they could have been. If we had ordered a shuttle bus it should have been recorded I will look into that. Sorry you are not a fan of minibars, lots of guests are and find this a welcome addition.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel twice in the last 3 months. The hotel is very central in the city centre and close to many shops and restaurants.
The rooms are small but adequate for my purposes. The noise levels are somewhat disturbing, but this is to be expected because of the location.
The staff were friendly, but not overly help full. Also during my first stay, both me and my colleague's wake-up calls did not come through...very important if you have to get up at 03h00 in the morning to be in time for your overseas flight!
The second time we stayed, the person at the counter confirmed to me the final amount that would be charged to my credit card...but then they still charged a small second amount to my card. I sent them an e-mail complaining about this, on which they apologized, and said that they would reverse the transaction.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Herman S

Dear Guest
Thanks for taking the time to review our hotel. I appologise for the mix up with your credit card and the wake up calls. This will be discussed in our team meetings where we look at all issues with the aim of continuous improvement.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

On arrival we where greeted with a speedy check-in, room was clean and modern. Hotel location excellent and staff where always very polite and helpful. This is my second stay here and would stay again

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest
Thanks for taking the time to review our hotel. We are very pleased you decided to stay with us again and we look forward to many more visits. I will be sure to share your feedback with the team

Reviewed June 9, 2013

Budget hotel in great location. Room is basic and very odd shape with very strangely placed TV. The bathroom is very small and not very tidy. Friendly but not very helpful staff. Internet severely overpriced, like in most other hotels in New Zealand.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest
Thanks for taking the time to review our hotel, you mentioned the bathroom is not very tidy. Your picture clearly shows a bathroom that has already been used, so I feel your representation is not a fair reflection.

Reviewed June 8, 2013

I stayed 2 nights (Saturday and Sunday) in a standard double room on the 10th floor. The room was very tidy and warm. The heavy curtains blacked out the city lights very effectively and, with the window closed, there was very little city noise. I could however, hear the tv in the room on the other side of the wall. I had next to no dealing with the staff other than when I checked in, to be given my room card (also activates the elevator; little tip, even though it says to insert card then wait for green light to come on and then select floor, you actually take the card out before the light will turn green) and when I checked out all I was asked was if I had used any items from the mini bar. So I can't really review the staff based on that stay. There was a maid service that made the bed and refreshed the tea, coffee and milk sachets. The room provided mugs and glasses and a kettle, although filling the kettle from the bathroom tap was a bit tricky.
I have to say that overall, it was a pleasant stay and, as I am coming back to Wellington in October, I have booked a room at Travelodge for that visit also. The location is perfect as I came from the train station and it was an easy walk and without a vehicle the Travelodge is in the centre of town so accessing restaurants etc was convenient.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest
Thanks for taking the time to review our hotel and that fact you have rebooked again speaks volumes. We look forward to your next visit.