We stayed here for a weekend recently when in Wellington watching the All Blacks play.
I am not going to comment on price as given it was a rugby weekend it was dearer than what I imagine would normally be paid so that is not really relevant.
Other times when we have stayed in Wellington we have stayed at the Westpac Stadium end of town. So staying here was a first for us.
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Although the apartment was on the small side it had a wee kitchenette which was very useful for us. I do not think they all have kitchenettes so it is worth asking. Maybe that takes away on living space though and it did mean the living area tv was in sort of an odd spot but not of any great importance. There was an outdoor balcony but that is tiny and 15 stories up the balcony was not good for my husband's vertigo - but it did mean you could open a door to the fresh air.
Having a separate bedroom is always nice as well.
The view over the harbour was very good and the unit got a bit of sun as well which was very nice..
It was a little dated as is the decor of the building itself but that did not bother us. It was clean and tidy and the shower was very good I though.
It was also handy to Cuba street and we have a number of enjoyable walks around the area - and it is still handy to Lambton Quay for shopping etc. and the waterfront, Te Papa etc
There is no restaurant or bar area or gym or any of those sort of hotel services attached to the hotel (I think because it may have been a apartment block originally perhaps that has been converted to an apartment hotel and not a purpose built hotel?) but the restaurant they use is just around the corner I gather and is connected to a sister hotel. We did not get to the restaurant so cannot comment on that. I think I also saw that room service provided via this other restaurant.
At check in there were no porters trying to take your bags - now most bags have wheels on the bottom I wonder how they keep occupied! so from my perspective I quite liked that as it is one thing I find a bit frustrating at other hotels when I am ok with wheeling my own bags - although I am sure a lot of people like that and it does give people jobs.
The people at reception were very helpful and when I mentioned my newspaper had not arrived one morning shortly after that they delivered one to us which was appreciated.
All in all it was a good base to see the city from and we would stay there again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- You're in the heart of it all, 5 minutes to everywhere you want to be. Our very warm welcome and personal service will make you feel at home, while outside the front door the very best of Wellington awaits, right in the heart of all the shopping, entertainment and business districts. Mercure Wellington Central City Hotel and Apartments features superb, modern, spacious apartment style hotel studio, 1 & 2 bedroom apartments with the best city & harbour views. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Expedia, Priceline, Hotwire, Travelocity, Cancelon, Orbitz, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Mercure Wellington Central City Hotel and Apartments reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Central City Apartment Wellington
- Hotel Central City Apartment