“Would I stay again? Yes and no”

Mercure Wellington Central City Hotel and Apartments
Ranked #30 of 46 Hotels in Wellington
Reviewed January 26, 2013

I had two stays at this hotel. One in Dec 2012 and January 2013. One stay was a studio and second stay a one bedroom.

The hotel has both good and bad points to it, but meets the basic needs for a stay. The hotel has recently rebranded to Mercure but still has the old hotels sign up outside. There was a smell of paint in the hotel as renovations continue.

The good points:
- Very handy to Courtenay Place and Cuba Mall which are the heart of the city
- Staff are very friendly and helpful
- The rooms are quite modern and fresh
- The shower had good pressure, and there was a microwave in the room so good for heating a snack.
- The carpets are all new and the room had nice decor and prints on the wall.

The not so good points:
- The bed itself in both rooms didn't feel to a high quality and quite an uncomfortable nights sleep
- If you are in a hotel front room there is alot of outside noise all night of people screaming and partying
- There was alot of banging in the night as people came and went from their hotel rooms. I could hear the lift going up and down all night even though my room wasn't next to the lift.
- There is no air conditioning which means you have to open windows to cool the room and then exposure to outside noise.
- The bathroom has a venting fan which comes on when the light is switched on and runs for about another 10 minutes when the light is switched off. I found this quite annoying and made the bathroom cold and drafty.
- The one bedroom only has a tv in the lounge and not in the bedroom. There was a plug and tv aerial connection in the bedroom so maybe they are planning to add a tv later.

So if you can sleep through outside noise, then you should be fine. If you prefer a firm bed with good springs, then you might also find the bed not the best for you.

At the right price, this hotel will be fine, and probably ok on non Friday and weekend nights.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 24, 2013

No restaurant , reception staff don't give you any help with your luggage. We booked before we arrived and were supposed to be charged but arrived and were told this they had forgotten to do. This was the only accomadation that told us this. The rooms need a better clean.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Grand Mercure W, Manager at Mercure Wellington Central City Hotel and Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2013

Dear Notice255068
Many thanks for posting your feedback about your stay, I am terribly disappointed to hear about your stay with us. From your feedback it appears that we have not met your expectations.

I would love the opportunity to discuss your stay with you personally if you are willing. My email address is hotelmgrgm@primehotels.co.nz

Kind Regards
Subodh Ekka

Reviewed January 22, 2013

Had a terrible job finding this place as the name was obscured by scaffolding. We had not been told that there was no parking at the hotel, and had to double park to unload our luggage which did cause a few problems. The so called 'superb harbour view' from the upper floors (we were on 13) was just about possible from the bedroom if you craned your neck. The balcony was microscopic and overlooked a car park and the building next door. The location wasn't too bad with most attractions within walking distance, and we do have to say that the recpetion staff were extremely helpful and knowledgeable about the area.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Dinomasters,
Thank you for taking time out to post your feedback for your stay at the Grand Mercure. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies. I have taken a note regarding your room, regarding the scaffolding due to some recent refurbishment at the hotel we have to put it up in front of the building, and as we do not have any car parks available at the hotel, we do not advertise it but we do help guest by directing them to the nearest car park buildings.
Thank you again for sharing your experience and your concerns, and look forward to welcome you back at Grand Mercure Wellington in near future.
Kind Regards
Subodh Ekka

Reviewed January 19, 2013

Location was excellent, the staff were friendly. Accommodated my every need. The room was clean, roomy and well appointed.
My only gripe was the ordinary TV reception but the building front was under renovation so I put it down to something to do with that.

Would recommend to others.

1  Thank Yonton
Grand Mercure W, Front Office Manager at Mercure Wellington Central City Hotel and Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2013

Dear Yonton

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments following your recent stay with us. It was pleasing to read you enjoyed our location and the service provided and we hope to see you again soon.

Regards

Reviewed January 14, 2013

I arrived in the early hours of the morning on a flight delayed from Australia (I had commented the flight was arriving later in the evening on the website). The desk supervisor was waiting to greet me. The room had been aired and I had a great sleep. I had arranged for a late check out when I arrived late so I didn't need to rush in the morning.

1  Thank traveller100113
Grand Mercure W, Front Office Manager at Mercure Wellington Central City Hotel and Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2013

Dear traveller100113

Thank you for your wonderful feedback from your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and the services provided by our team.
Thank you again for your positive comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in a near future.

Kind regards

Reviewed January 13, 2013

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank lion3007

Reviewed January 13, 2013

The location of this hotel is pretty much in the centre of the city which is great for tourists or others. The room was very clean and tidy and has everything you'd need. The staff was very friendly and even gave me a late checkout at no extra cost when I called at 2am :)

I think because the building is old the rooms aren't as expensive as other hotels in Wellington, which is fine, actually better, because it has been refurbished and it still looks lovely and new but you get a good price. The building can be a bit noisy at times however.

1  Thank Kat R

Dear Kat R

Thank you for your feedback in regards to your recent stay. It is always fantastic to receive positive feedback.
I will pass on your comments to our team, it will serve as encouragement to all of our employees as we endeavour to constantly improve the quality of our services.
Thank you again for sharing your experience, and I am looking forward to welcoming you again in a near future.

Kind regards