I had two stays at this hotel. One in Dec 2012 and January 2013. One stay was a studio and second stay a one bedroom.
The hotel has both good and bad points to it, but meets the basic needs for a stay. The hotel has recently rebranded to Mercure but still has the old hotels sign up outside. There was a smell of paint in the hotel as renovations continue.
The good points:
- Very handy to Courtenay Place and Cuba Mall which are the heart of the city
- Staff are very friendly and helpful
- The rooms are quite modern and fresh
- The shower had good pressure, and there was a microwave in the room so good for heating a snack.
- The carpets are all new and the room had nice decor and prints on the wall.
The not so good points:
- The bed itself in both rooms didn't feel to a high quality and quite an uncomfortable nights sleep
- If you are in a hotel front room there is alot of outside noise all night of people screaming and partying
- There was alot of banging in the night as people came and went from their hotel rooms. I could hear the lift going up and down all night even though my room wasn't next to the lift.
- There is no air conditioning which means you have to open windows to cool the room and then exposure to outside noise.
- The bathroom has a venting fan which comes on when the light is switched on and runs for about another 10 minutes when the light is switched off. I found this quite annoying and made the bathroom cold and drafty.
- The one bedroom only has a tv in the lounge and not in the bedroom. There was a plug and tv aerial connection in the bedroom so maybe they are planning to add a tv later.
So if you can sleep through outside noise, then you should be fine. If you prefer a firm bed with good springs, then you might also find the bed not the best for you.
At the right price, this hotel will be fine, and probably ok on non Friday and weekend nights.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- You're in the heart of it all, 5 minutes to everywhere you want to be. Our very warm welcome and personal service will make you feel at home, while outside the front door the very best of Wellington awaits, right in the heart of all the shopping, entertainment and business districts. Mercure Wellington Central City Hotel and Apartments features superb, modern, spacious apartment style hotel studio, 1 & 2 bedroom apartments with the best city & harbour views. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, Travelocity, Cancelon, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Orbitz, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Mercure Wellington Central City Hotel and Apartments reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Central City Apartment Wellington
- Hotel Central City Apartment