“Small room, no air con, long way from town”

The Thorndon Hotel Wellington by Rydges
Ranked #34 of 47 Hotels in Wellington
Reviewed February 28, 2009

Nice, helpful staff.

Shower worked well.

No air con and too far from town.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled solo

Reviewed February 3, 2009

When I first got to the hotel it seemed really nice. Once I got to my room I saw what looked like potty on my bed and on my friends were little black hairs. I heard many other stories like this from people in my travel group. When I asked the hotel about this, they turned my bed around and said that it was taken care of. The fact is IT WAS STILL DIRTY! They would not give me another room and did not care. My friends and I were yelled at for being too loud even though we truly werent and it was before 10. It did have a nice location and okay food. Overall though it was DIRTY hotel.

• Stayed: July 2008
Reviewed January 3, 2009

I had to double-check the hotel I stayed at was exactly the same one people were commenting about.
My experience at this hotel was horrible. By far the worst in 16 day trip to NZ, and mind you I was travelling on a kind of budget 3 star rating trip.
Reception was unpolite, to say the least. When I arrived at the first room, I was greeted with a very wet bathroom that soaked my feet of water.
Called reception and moved to another room immediately. The second one smelled funny, but I was too tired to try a third one.
Dinner was served on a nice surrounding and food was great. Problem was the service. I ordered 2 glasses of wine, one of them came wrong. I only realised half way through when I decided to sip into my wife's pinot noir - it was actually a shiraz.
Then after eating I ordered a coffee and instead of cappuccino they served us a long black?!?!
As I said, food was good, but the service was horrible all round, from reception to restaurant to room

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank chfalcao
Reviewed January 5, 2008

This is a great place to stay as it's very close to the interislander ferry. The restaurant downstairs was superb: the prices were good and it served probably one of the best pasta dishes I've had in my ENTIRE life! The room itself was basic, unfortunately, there was no A/C, but we noticed that this was true of most hotels in NZ. W/ that we found ourselves stuck between a rock & a hard place as either we had to leave the windows closed and roast or open the windows to the blare of traffic. But other than that, everything else was quite convenient, parking's available and we made it to the ferry in a very short amount of time the following morning!

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank EileenKM
Reviewed September 22, 2007

We stayed here last week for an overnight stay to attend W.O.W.!!
Couldn't fault the experience from a very fast but friendly check in to similar check out! The room was fairly small, but had everything we needed. It was quiet clean and light. We were 2 minutes walk from The Beehive (parliament building) and approx 10 mins from the CBD and waterfront, close enough for convenience but avoiding the noise of city traffic.Have stayed before and happy to recommend, especially for a one or two night stay. Plenty of nearby cafes and a large supermarket. We didn't eat in the restaurant, but it was reasonably priced and the menu looked interesting.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank ruthzmail
Reviewed April 29, 2007

We stayed here for a bed and breakfast weekend in April 2007. We had an excellent rate (NZ$119 - double) which seemed very reasonable as it included a decent cooked breakfast (including bacon, eggs, sausages and continental selection) and the room was perfectly adequate although very small. Amenities were reasonable. There was a small tv with sky channels, a work desk, a small bathroom with decent shower, the bed was comfortable and the room had tea/coffee facilities and a modern feel. One big advantage was the room had internet access for a resonable cost of just $10 per day. The location was excellent - just a short walk away from the CBD and close to a supermarket and the bars/cafes of the historic suburb of Thorndon. However, I would definitely recommend trying the in-house restaurant - the service and food was amazing!
We would stay again although because of the small size probably for a maximum of 2 or 3 nights.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank TravelBugNZ78
Reviewed March 1, 2007

The hotel was better than I had expected for the price. It is a short walk to the Parliament Buildings. There are not many restaurants open for dinner in the area, however we found the hotel restaurant very good. The street was busy, but got quiet after about 10PM. We had only a short drive to the Interisland Ferry the next AM. The streets in Wellington were somewhat confusing, so we are glad we did not have to drive far in Rush hour traffic.

Stayed: February 2007