“Perfect for the traveller in a wheelchair”

The Thorndon Hotel Wellington by Rydges
Ranked #34 of 47 Hotels in Wellington
Reviewed July 23, 2014

My partner and i stayed two nights last weekend and found the facilities to be perfect for us. Huge bathroom with a wet area shower which is really helpful when you're in a wheelchair. Very comfy bed too. The staff were extremely helpful. Will definitely stay here again should we venture to Wellington again.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 19, 2014

After my first visit a couple of years ago, I said I'd be back, and have been, three or four times. I quite like this part of Wellington - my work often takes me to the National library, so am getting to know it quite well. There are nice cafes, an excellent supermarket and more civil servants than I quite know what to do with. I feel almost at home at the Kingsgate.

My last review complained about the internet - this has been fixed and I even had a deal for free internet, which was great. Room is on the cosy side, but it has everything I need. This time round, I used the restaurant for dinner and breakfast. The latter was the standard sort of thing, but I found my dinner to be really good.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
wellingtonhotels, General Manager at The Thorndon Hotel Wellington by Rydges, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2014

Dear NZBarry,

Thank you for your recent contribution on Tripadvisor. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and have noticed some improvements within the hotel.

If I can do anything to make your next stay more enjoyable than please contact me directly at gm@kingsgatewellington.co.nz.

Kind Regards

Reviewed July 6, 2014

My wife and I did a little road trip of the lower North Island ending up in Wellington on a Sunday. Found a deal on WOTIF. Yes room not a new modern flash hotel room. But was clean and had very thing we needed. Good shower and a good 32cm TV. Good quiet nights sleep. room rate included a breakfast which was better than expected. Hotel easy walk to city and Parliament etc. Being Sunday had free parking on the street until 8am then we just moved it onto a meter for a few hours.We had a evening meal in the restaurant with a wine, again the hotel had a sweetener for a us 20 per cent off. Yes enjoyed the meal also. Overall we gave out nights stay a 9 out of 10 and yes we would stay again. I could sum it up as good value for the money.

P

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
wellingtonhotels, General Manager at The Thorndon Hotel Wellington by Rydges, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2014

Dear NZ2.

Thank you for your recent feedback on Tripadvisor. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and
found it to be value for money. We hope you stay again on your next visit to Wellington.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

Got a good deal for a night here on grabone - was perfect location for attending a function at a friend's place in Thorndon. Would also be great location for the stadium.
Very small room - pretty standard for hotels now, comfortable bed. Cracks in bathroom sink make it look dirty and could do with being replaced.
Breakfast was included in our deal - buffet was fairly standard - the usual hot options which were good, a selection of cereals, only bread left by the toaster- not sure if they had pastries or anything else earlier and only apricot jam left in the spreads. Coffee from the coffee machine was disgusting- not worth joining the queue to make it - I've had better instant!
Overall it was fine for what we paid for it. Would be a good option for attending something at the stadium and you just needed a bed for the night.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 28, 2014

Being a Wellington resident I'd often wondered about staying here but it didnt make sense while I lived there. House sold though and one last night before driving north was my opportunity. It was great, the staff were very helpful. The room though simple was all we needed. I booked online and benefited from a deal which gave free unlimited wi-fi for our stay.
New World supermarket just a couple of minutes walk if you need a snack - and didnt want room service which I must say looked very tempting. Next to the supermarket is Starfish Fish & Chips. YUM. Or you are close enough to town to experience many other restaurants,
Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
wellingtonhotels, General Manager at The Thorndon Hotel Wellington by Rydges, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2014

Dear kiwi_choccie_11,

Thank you for your feedback on Tripadvisor. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay
and found the location convenient.

If you are leaving Wellington we wish you all the best with your future endeavors and hope to see you on your next trip to the capital.

Reviewed June 22, 2014

And we keep returning for a reason.
We're currently in room 811. The rooms have beautiful views, and we love watching the city slowly wake up.
Beds are incredibly comfortable, and we both wish we could take it home with us.
Service is friendly, staff are lovely.
Plenty of tea and coffee in our room, which was lovely.
Supermarket really close, and a short walk into town.
Housekeeping is thorough which is appreciated.
We'll be back again :)

Room Tip: Corner rooms are great.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
wellingtonhotels, General Manager at The Thorndon Hotel Wellington by Rydges, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2014

Dear JimL,

Thank you for your feedback on Tripadvisor. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and as usual it is a pleasure to have you stay again at the hotel. We hope to see you again in the near future and if there is anything that we can do to make your next stay more comfortable than please contact let me know.

Reviewed June 17, 2014

I got a very good 'grab one' deal that helped save money for the two 'not-for-profit' organisations I was working with. (The deal was actually for two people, that would have been an unbelievable bargain). So I opted to stay at the Kingsgate, even though it was some walking distance from my meetings. Friends had warned me that is was a bit run down and that the rooms were small. I have no complaints about the room. It was very adequate, clean and tidy, and the TV selection was better than at some other Millennium Group hotels I have stayed at. The breakfast (included in my package) was also good: a wide selection of Sanitarium cereals, and six, predictable, hot options. My only gripes are the quality (Rivermill) of the toast bread and the lack of teapots for those of us who hate a teabag hanging out of a cup.. For those who like a wholemeal or grain option, the bread available was poor quality indeed. Cheap deals come with fishhooks. In-room wifi at a Millennium hotel is usually an extra cost; here is was $12 per 24 hours. That needs to be factored in when budgeting. As for the location, it is a 25 minute walk to the Cuba St end of town, but that is to be expected with cheap accommodation. Friendly staff, good value, I'd stay again.

Room Tip: Wellington is windy; the higher the floor the more one notices the wind.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
wellingtonhotels, General Manager at The Thorndon Hotel Wellington by Rydges, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2014

Dear MykieHamiltonL,

Thank you for your comments on Tripadvisor. The rooms at the hotel were upgraded about 18 months ago and unfortunately some people still when thinking of the hotel recall the older style of decor.

With regards to the internet we do charge a small fee in the rooms but we also offer complimentary internet in both the hotel foyer and the restaurant and bar. If this was not communicated to you I apologise.

We regards to breakfast our new Executive Chef is currently looking at some improvements that covers areas such as breads. We also offer teapots on request.

Thank you again for your comments and we hope to see you in the near future.