“Central Hotel”

Ranked #34 of 46 Hotels in Wellington
Auckland, New Zealand
“Central Hotel”
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Recently stayed as a small group of 5. This is one of the few central hotels that will provide a group booking for this number. Rooms adequate and clean although mine smelt musty. This was due to the fact that there is no ventilation in the bathroom - apart from the window. One is not inclined to open the window in the middle of winter so some sort of extractor fan would have been a good idea.

The food in the restaurant is outstanding, the only downside being the long wait for it to arrive. It took an hour for our food to come from the kitchen in spite of the fact there were only two other tables of diners there at 6.30pm when we arrived. And do you feel slightly irritated when those who have been seated after you, receive their food before you?

This hotel is handy to all of Wellington's central attractions being in walking distance to Parliament and CBD.

Room Tip: Rooms obviously vary; the room I had was adequate if you want a clean place to sleep in but don'...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Korean first
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed June 27, 2013

My partner and I have stayed here a couple of times and on each occasion have had a wonderful stay. The rooms (while not 5 star) have everything you need including little luxuries I did not expect for the price we paid; such as a feather topper on the beds in the rooms at the end of the corridors (I think they are called Superior rooms) and I-Pod docking stations. All staff we encountered we very friendly and down to earth, they made us feel at home. We did not have breakfast in the restaurant but it looked very good. We did have dinner and it surpassed our expectations. My partner had a Beef Wellington which he could not stop raving about, my meal was also fantastic. I would highly recommend this hotel to stay at or even as a local to pop in for dinner.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
New Zealand
Reviewed June 22, 2013

We stayed two nights at the Kingsgate (two couples - two rooms) and found it a good value place to stay. Not flash but adequate clean accommodation. Rooms not big but OK. Restaurant very good. We had two breakfasts and one evening meal there and all our group enjoyed meals. All staff very friendly. Only downside was I booked about a month in advance by phone and when we arrived about 7pm on a cold winters night, we were told that we had no reservation and hotel was full. After a few minutes of explaining that I had made reservations, two rooms "miraculously" became available. So make sure you get written confirmation when you book because I did not and it was my word against the hotel's.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed June 21, 2013

You can often get very good deals for this hotel outside of peak times which make it a very good place to stay. Everything in my room was clean and as it should be, was allowed to check in a good 2hrs early, and even left a bit late with no apparent issue. New World supermarket is a 2 min walk and the train station about 10 mins. Didn't try the Restaurant

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
wellingtonhotels, General Manager at The Thorndon Hotel Wellington by Rydges, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Dear matt0024,

Thank you for your feedback and we are glad you enjoyed your stay.
We hope to see you again in the near future.

Tauranga
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Nice and tidy, reasonably friendly staff, hard to fault the place. I've stayed twice now on business and it's adequate - as in, it's good value for the money you pay, which isn't a lot. I'd like to try the restaurant next time, perhaps Kingsgate could give an incentive to do so? Hotel restaurants are as a rule, expensive - I'd like to think that since I am staying there, there may be a better rate or a couple of free drinks inclusive etc. Just a thought..

Room Tip: Each time I've stayed the room has been fine, it's quite a way back from the city so quite q...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Mike Tauranga,

Thank you for your recent feedback on Tripadvisor. We are glad you have enjoyed your most recent stay and are a repeat customer. With regards to your comments about hotels restaurants, I believe the hotel menu's are fairly priced and offer a few options at different price brackets. If you let me know after you have made your next booking I am happy to provide you with a complimentary beverage.

Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed June 11, 2013

I never actually got to stay at the Kingsgate Hotel in Wellington, because I never got past the booking process. A promotional deal came up on another website for the Kingsgate Hotel, and I figured that I would ring and check room availability for the weekend I was in Wellington before buying the deal. When I rang, the lady on the other end of the phone was very courteous and polite and assured me that there was availability for the weekend in question, and I just needed to give her the voucher code. Therefore, whilst I was still on the phone with the hotel, I purchased the voucher and gave her the number, completing the booking. I didn't receive a written confirmation so I called back roughly 15 minutes later. I spoke to another receptionist and asked to have a confirmation emailed through to me, and she said that I needed to speak with the original receptionist and put me through. She then proceeded to tell me that I couldn't book the room (despite previous assurances that I could). My partner (who also works in the hospitality industry) followed this up with her and was told that she "thought I meant July, not September" - despite the same dates not actually falling on a weekend. As my partner (who works in the industry) recognised this as an old trick to cover mistakes, called her up on this. To cut details, my partner finished her call very upset and wound-up by how she was also treated.

Terrible service being topped by someone trying to fob us off with a lame trick. Not happy. Will never use a Kingsgate Hotel again (a real shame as someone who travels as much as I do)

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Matt H
Dear MattH,

Thank you for your email and I apologise if there was any miscommunication on our behalf.
The dates of the promotion finished on the 31st of August and as per your Tripadvisor post the dates required were in September. If you have purchased a voucher I am happy to extend the validity of the voucher for use in September or I am happy to extend the same offer to the end of September.

If you could contact myself or reservations directly and mention this post I am happy to honour the voucher in September.

Jeff Hermes

Travelers are raving about these Wellington hotels

Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed June 2, 2013

I'm staying in the Kingsgate Hotel in Wellington after having spent the past few nights in sister hotels in Auckland and Rotorua, and I am very dissatisfied. First of all the rooms in Rotorua were much larger and much more cozy, and the rooms in Auckland while not much bigger were still much more comfortable from the size and quality of the bed, to the size of the shower to the color of the room. Secondly, the breakfast here in Wellington was the most expensive of the 3 and not only had fewer options than the other two, but was less well stocked. When I got down to breakfast this morning, there were very few pastries left, the gravy looked like it had been sitting in the warmer too long and was dried out and burnt, and the bacon didn't look cooked all the way through. After I finished my first meal, I was really hoping to get some pastries and toast, but they were completely out of both, and were going to be serving breakfast for another hour still. So far on this trip, We haven't had any problems finding parking until now, but this relatively large hotel has almost no parking, and what little they have, you have to pay for. I'm from Louisville, KY, I have seen or stayed at the Galt House, the Seelbach, and the Marriot all of which are in downtown Louisville. So none of them have street level parking outside, instead all of them have a dedicated parking garage under the hotel or nearby. All of this is inconvenient and can be worked around and lived with, but please tell me why a 3 star hotel in the capital city of New Zealand, which has an international airport does NOT do currency exchange.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
wellingtonhotels, General Manager at The Thorndon Hotel Wellington by Rydges, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Dear Shalo86,

Thank you for your recent feedback on Tripadvisor. Firstly i would like to apologise that the level of service was not up to your expectations. While the hotel has been recently upgraded I can understand that not everyone would like the style and colour of the rooms but so far the feedback has been quite positive. With regards to the size of the room and the bed, the hotel certainly has a range of rooms and I would be happy to upgrade you to a King Superior room on your next visit if you contact myself directly.

I understand that on the day you were having breakfast a large number of unbooked external guests came to the hotel for breakfast. This left the hotel buffet short of food for a short time but I believe that the buffet was replenished a short time after. While this is unacceptable I can appreciate why it happened and have addressed the situation to reduce repeat events.

With regards to car parking the hotel has quite a number of car spots and the hotel and occassionally the hotel carpark can become full. Generally a reception staff can assist in the parking of the vehicles or can can direct our guests to some on-street parking or other carparks close by.

Finally with regards to Foreign Currency exchange most hotels have had had few requests in recent years and a lot of hotels have not seen the necessity to have such facilities as most modern day travellers use some type of debit card or alternatively change their money at the airport upon arrival.

Once again I apologise for not meeting your expectations and will review your comments with the department head team to see what improvements we can made in the future.