The Thorndon Hotel Wellington by Rydges
$129
$90
  • Fitness center
Best Western Wellington(Wellington)(Great Value!)
$103
$147
$191
$146
  • Restaurant
The Cambridge Hotel(Wellington)(Great Value!)
$46
$40
$211
$117
  • Pool
Quality Hotel Wellington(Wellington)(Great Value!)
$135
$130
  • Pool
Wellesley Boutique Hotel(Wellington)(Great Value!)
$75
$73
  • Room Service
At Home Wellington(Wellington)
$112
$109
Orbitz.com
  • Fitness center
All reviewsnew world supermarketwestpac stadiumminute walkrailway stationwould stay againhandy locationcomfortable bedhotel restaurantbuffet breakfastlambton quaynonaparliamentmotorwaybeehivecbdcafeswaterfront
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Nice and tidy, reasonably friendly staff, hard to fault the place. I've stayed twice now on business and it's adequate - as in, it's good value for the money you pay, which isn't a lot. I'd like to try the restaurant next time, perhaps Kingsgate could give an incentive to do so? Hotel restaurants are as a rule, expensive - I'd like to think that since I am staying there, there may be a better rate or a couple of free drinks inclusive etc. Just a thought..

Room Tip: Each time I've stayed the room has been fine, it's quite a way back from the city so quite quiet anyway
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
wellingtonhotels, General Manager at The Thorndon Hotel Wellington by Rydges, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2013

Dear Mike Tauranga,

Thank you for your recent feedback on Tripadvisor. We are glad you have enjoyed your most recent stay and are a repeat customer. With regards to your comments about hotels restaurants, I believe the hotel menu's are fairly priced and offer a few options at different price brackets. If you let me know after you have made your next booking I am happy to provide you with a complimentary beverage.

Reviewed June 11, 2013

I never actually got to stay at the Kingsgate Hotel in Wellington, because I never got past the booking process. A promotional deal came up on another website for the Kingsgate Hotel, and I figured that I would ring and check room availability for the weekend I was in Wellington before buying the deal. When I rang, the lady on the other end of the phone was very courteous and polite and assured me that there was availability for the weekend in question, and I just needed to give her the voucher code. Therefore, whilst I was still on the phone with the hotel, I purchased the voucher and gave her the number, completing the booking. I didn't receive a written confirmation so I called back roughly 15 minutes later. I spoke to another receptionist and asked to have a confirmation emailed through to me, and she said that I needed to speak with the original receptionist and put me through. She then proceeded to tell me that I couldn't book the room (despite previous assurances that I could). My partner (who also works in the hospitality industry) followed this up with her and was told that she "thought I meant July, not September" - despite the same dates not actually falling on a weekend. As my partner (who works in the industry) recognised this as an old trick to cover mistakes, called her up on this. To cut details, my partner finished her call very upset and wound-up by how she was also treated.

Terrible service being topped by someone trying to fob us off with a lame trick. Not happy. Will never use a Kingsgate Hotel again (a real shame as someone who travels as much as I do)

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Matt H

Dear MattH,

Thank you for your email and I apologise if there was any miscommunication on our behalf.
The dates of the promotion finished on the 31st of August and as per your Tripadvisor post the dates required were in September. If you have purchased a voucher I am happy to extend the validity of the voucher for use in September or I am happy to extend the same offer to the end of September.

If you could contact myself or reservations directly and mention this post I am happy to honour the voucher in September.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

I'm staying in the Kingsgate Hotel in Wellington after having spent the past few nights in sister hotels in Auckland and Rotorua, and I am very dissatisfied. First of all the rooms in Rotorua were much larger and much more cozy, and the rooms in Auckland while not much bigger were still much more comfortable from the size and quality of the bed, to the size of the shower to the color of the room. Secondly, the breakfast here in Wellington was the most expensive of the 3 and not only had fewer options than the other two, but was less well stocked. When I got down to breakfast this morning, there were very few pastries left, the gravy looked like it had been sitting in the warmer too long and was dried out and burnt, and the bacon didn't look cooked all the way through. After I finished my first meal, I was really hoping to get some pastries and toast, but they were completely out of both, and were going to be serving breakfast for another hour still. So far on this trip, We haven't had any problems finding parking until now, but this relatively large hotel has almost no parking, and what little they have, you have to pay for. I'm from Louisville, KY, I have seen or stayed at the Galt House, the Seelbach, and the Marriot all of which are in downtown Louisville. So none of them have street level parking outside, instead all of them have a dedicated parking garage under the hotel or nearby. All of this is inconvenient and can be worked around and lived with, but please tell me why a 3 star hotel in the capital city of New Zealand, which has an international airport does NOT do currency exchange.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
wellingtonhotels, General Manager at The Thorndon Hotel Wellington by Rydges, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2013

Dear Shalo86,

Thank you for your recent feedback on Tripadvisor. Firstly i would like to apologise that the level of service was not up to your expectations. While the hotel has been recently upgraded I can understand that not everyone would like the style and colour of the rooms but so far the feedback has been quite positive. With regards to the size of the room and the bed, the hotel certainly has a range of rooms and I would be happy to upgrade you to a King Superior room on your next visit if you contact myself directly.

I understand that on the day you were having breakfast a large number of unbooked external guests came to the hotel for breakfast. This left the hotel buffet short of food for a short time but I believe that the buffet was replenished a short time after. While this is unacceptable I can appreciate why it happened and have addressed the situation to reduce repeat events.

With regards to car parking the hotel has quite a number of car spots and the hotel and occassionally the hotel carpark can become full. Generally a reception staff can assist in the parking of the vehicles or can can direct our guests to some on-street parking or other carparks close by.

Finally with regards to Foreign Currency exchange most hotels have had had few requests in recent years and a lot of hotels have not seen the necessity to have such facilities as most modern day travellers use some type of debit card or alternatively change their money at the airport upon arrival.

Once again I apologise for not meeting your expectations and will review your comments with the department head team to see what improvements we can made in the future.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

I have stayed regularly over a year and a half and always find the staff providing excellent customer service.

The rooms have all that is needed o be comfortable but what really makes this place are the staff, especially, Amy, Charissa, Chathu, Fien, Iva, Jamie and Monique. All of the staff tend to make the stay feel more like home, right down to the best hot chocolate on a cold winters night.

Because of these great people I have no hesitation to recommend it as a nice place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Dear BadenH,

Thank you for your recent post on Tripadvisor. As a regular guest of the hotel it is appreciated by both myself and the staff mentioned that you would post such positive feedback. Certainly if we can do anything to make your stay more enjoyable then please let us know. In any case it would be appreciated if you would have time to meet up on your next visit.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

As I am a bit fussy on what I eat this place surprised me. The restaurant get tops marks from me for the freshness of their salads and flavours of the meats for their dinners.
The breakfasts were also good, with a wide variety of cerals and cooked items.
(Just my usual gripe - not against the hotel, but against the guests - why cant people use the provided tongs to serve their own food? I saw too many guests use their hands to pick up to see food and then place their food back. I would like to see this restaurant provide hand sanitiser near the entry door (as is common in many European restaurants)).
As I first noticed that the coffe cups were the standard thick hotel type I knew that any hot drink would quickly go cold as the china absorbs the heat. As I like my coffee hot-hot I asked for my cup to be pre-heated. No problem for the waiter.
Bedrooms are modest but adequate.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
wellingtonhotels, General Manager at The Thorndon Hotel Wellington by Rydges, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2013

Dear Myscha,

Thank you for recent feedback on Tripadvisor. I appreciate the comments you have provided about your positive dining experience. In regards to your other comments I will be reviewing them
with the department head team.

Thank you again and we hope to see you in the near future.