“Just What I Needed”

Ranked #33 of 46 Hotels in Wellington
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Just What I Needed”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Had a weekend trip to Wellington with my girlfriend and booked a room at the Kingsgate Hotel in Thorndon. The suite was awesome, a great view of the hills, very spacious, and a bed that I wished I could take home with me. Watched movies on the perfect flat screen tv and enjoyed many a high-pressured shower. Breakfast was an absolute treat as well. Normally a buffet breakfast doesn't get my mouth watering, but this one certainly did. Fantastic bacon and eggs and real fruit juice. The location is fantastic, an easy walk into town and right next to a supermarket. Made my trip to the capital so much more enjoyable knowing I had somewhere perfect to come back to after all the partying.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank John_D1811027
wellingtonhotels, General Manager at The Thorndon Hotel Wellington by Rydges, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Dear John_D1811027,

Thank you for your post.
We are glad you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Regards
Jeff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Korean first
Falmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 7, 2013

This bed factory in the centre of Wellington's government quarter is really a missed opportunity. Well positioned, the building has potential and is reasonably well managed on a day to day given the poor state of the comfort offering. The rooms are awfully appointed - more akin to prison cells than hotel rooms. Spartan is the theme here, it is almost as if they have gone out of their way to make things unattractive. Bleak decor, hardly even a nod to making the guest feel comfortable, very, very basic. Mattresses slushy with no tension in the walls so I kept thinking I was going to fall out of bed. Mirrors in the bathroom away from the basin making it difficult to wet shave.But overall the total lack of any charm - refurbishment desperately need. Rant over, housekeeping is ok and the rooms are clean.
The Glasshouse (British army slang for prison - love the irony there!) Restaurant and Bar is a step up with pleasant views to the rear of the building. Staff were pleasant if under-motivated - we had to explain to the barmaid what a Bloody Mary was. Breakfast fine. Overall, fine for a one night stay if you can get a cheap deal but four nights was far too long a sentence.

Room Tip: Good luck, stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
wellingtonhotels, General Manager at The Thorndon Hotel Wellington by Rydges, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
Dear housered,

That you for your recent feedback. I apologise that not everything about the hotel was to your standards and we will certainly be investigating your comments. If you could contact me personally about your concerns about the decor that would be appreciated.

Jeff Hermes

Travelers are raving about these Wellington hotels

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 5, 2013

First time trip to New Zealand to meet up with the other half and the outlaws and needed a place to stay in Wellington for four nights - and couldn't have picked a better place. Not really a tourist hotel but then it doesn't claim to be. Easy to find, close to the centre of Wellington on the edge of the parliament district and close to the cathedrals, both old and new. Friendly staff ensure a good welcome, there's a good "no fuss" registration procedure and you are made to feel very welcome. My room was on the top floor - a smallish double - impeccably clean and very well presented, complete with a iron and ironing board in case you took advantage of the laundry facilities in the basement, which I did. Good, well stocked bar introduced me to the delights (and I do mean delights) of NZ brewing and the food in the restaurant was well cooked, well presented and a reasonable price. All in all, a nice, quiet hotel with lovely staff, a comfortable bed and the location was ideal for exploring the city on foot. Good value for money and heartily recommended, I would be more than happy to stay there again.

Dear Andrew S,

Thank you for your recent feedback on tripadvisor. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and had the opportunity to sample a few NZ brews. We hope to see you again on your next visit.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

Grab one voucher deal which was absolutely the right price to entice us to go into the city for a night out and not having to worry about driving home if we''d had a couple of wines etc.The location is good, just off the motorway, so easy to access. Close to a great supermarket, cafes, railway station etc and within a nice walk into the city. We went to a show at the TSB Arena on the waterfront and it took us 20 minutes to walk back to the hotel. We had a quick and efficient check-in by a pleasant person at the front desk. We had a corner room with everything in it that we required to make our stay enjoyable.......two windows to open. radio, television,hair dryer,fridge and tea and coffee making facilities. There were two comfy chairs to enjoy the sun which streamed through the windows whilst reading the complimentary morning newspaper. A clean and roomy bathroom almost completes the package but wait, there were two more lovely surprises! First one was the beautiful super soft bed........just like sleeping on a cloud; our heads touched the pillow and we didn't wake until the sun shone again. The other surprise was the very welcoming and delicious breakfast we enjoyed. We travel all over the world once or twice every year and,for the same money, this little gem is far better. More deals like the Grab One deal will insure that a lot more people can meet your lovely staff and enjoy a night or two at the Kingsgate, in Wellington

Room Tip: We had a corner room which gave us two outside walls so we had extra windows. Because it was so warm...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
wellingtonhotels, General Manager at The Thorndon Hotel Wellington by Rydges, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear Costanarm,

Thank you for your positive feedback on Tripadvisor. We are glad you had a good stay and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Regards
Whangaparaoa, New Zealand
Reviewed January 28, 2013

For those not familiar with the expression "The Curate's Egg", it is derived from an early cartoon in Punch magazine, where a curate, asked by his host for his opinion of the boiled egg he was eating, diplomatically replied "it is good in parts". I'm afraid that is how I found my experience of the Wellington Kingsgate.

My wife and I stayed at the hotel for two nights in early January 2013. In fairness to the hotel, it was a business trip and the company travel agent had only booked the room for me; we later decided that my wife would join me. However, it was a double room so that shouldn't really have made any difference.

Check in was friendly and efficient. In fact, throughout the stay, the best thing about the hotel was the friendly and helpful service we encountered from all the staff.

Let's get the bad stuff out of the way first.

The room was very "tired". Bland wallpaper covered the entire area, except where it was torn in a number of places to reveal a startlingly red paint job of earlier years. There was only a single bedside table, meaning that the unfortunate on the other side of the bed had nowhere but the floor to place things. To match this, there was only a single cup in the room (although two glasses) so tea / coffee making facilities were somewhat awkward. I know this was obviously an oversight and I could have requested another cup, but it wasn't a good start. The ensuite had a shower of similar, uninspiring vintage to the room, recessed into a "boxy" alcove, but no bath. The wi-fi internet service wasn't functioning (but more on this in the good stuff).

The small and very awkward in parts, scrape and dent inviting, car park - at $14 per 24 hours -was totally inadequate for the guest numbers. This wasn't helped by a couple of bays being full of builders' detritus, (a result of the ongoing refurbishment which hadn't yet reached our room). Returning to the hotel on the second day, there were no spaces in the car park (and there is no legal parking on the adjacent roads either). For convenience and as a mild form of protest, I then parked the rental car outside the front "no parking" entrance to the hotel and gave the keys to reception. Again, the obliging staff had no problem with this and the car remained there undisturbed for the rest of our stay, which was very helpful.
At about 6.30pm, on leaving the hotel for dinner, there were a number of bags of dirty linen and bags of rubbish piled up outside the lift on our floor. I mentioned this to reception, not as a complaint but rather to point out what I was sure must have been an oversight on the housekeeper's part. However, the receptionist told me that no, it wasn't an oversight, room cleaning was still in progress. I must say that I have never come across a hotel before where rooms are being made up at 6. 30pm.
Breakfast in the restaurant was uninspiring, standard fare but, as there was a "special" on - full English and Continental breakfast for $15, instead of the usual $25, it represented good value for money. Ironically, if you just settled for a Continental breakfast, (not on special) it was $3 dearer at $18. Unfortunately, the breakfast experience was soured, literally, when I tried to pour milk from a jug into my coffee and it came out in lumps and smelling badly. I pointed this out to the cheerful waitress who immediately replaced it but who, somewhat to my surprise, seemed on the other hand to be totally unsurprised herself by this unfortunate occurrence.

So, after this litany of negativity, what were the positive points? I want to finish on a good note.

The hotel is only 100 metres down the road from the motorway intersection. Although on the west side of town (near the Westpac Stadium - the Cake Tin) this makes it a fast and easy journey to the airport and a very good access point for any trip to Hutt City, Kapiti or beyond.

Access to the CBD and shopping / entertainment area is good, either by car or by bus from the nearby bus station.

I've already mentioned that the staff were very helpful. They allowed me to leave the car outside the front entrance when the car park was full and when I couldn't get the "pay per minute" wi-fi service in my room, they set me up to receive it for free in the lobby.

And finally, because I also reviewed our stay on the card provided, the Front Office Manager has personally e-mailed me to apologise for the shortcomings and assured me that the hotel is in the process of being refurbished and will soon look much better internally throughout. I appreciate her response.

Would I stay there again? Well it wouldn't be my first choice in its present condition. But I'm not a person who "resides" in a hotel when I am staying away, preferring to use outside restaurants etc. and returning only to sleep and (hopefully) find somewhere to park the car. So it wasn't disastrous and some new paint and a furniture upgrade throughout, a junk-free car park and some fresh milk will certainly make the hotel more welcoming, and then I wouldn't object to being booked in again.

Room Tip: Make sure you book a room that has already received the makeover.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank WillyH2010
WillyH2010.

Thank you for the detailed feedback that you have provided on Tripavisor.
We appreciate the effort that has been put in and certainly it does provide
some points to be discussed with the department head team.

Hastings, New Zealand
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Certainly one of the best in Wellington we have stayed at. Located close to the Motorway in Hawkestone Road and only a few minutes walk from the Wellington Bus and Rail termini. Staff were friendly and welcoming at all times. The room was clean, tidy and had everything there anyone would need. Breakfast was good with a buffet style. Car parking available although a little expensive compared to other hotels. I understand the owners are in the process of refurbishing the rooms. They have done a good job so far. We stayed at this hotel using a GrabOne voucher.

Dear Tonylast47,

Thank you for your recent feedback on Tripadvisor and your positive comments. As mentioned we are in the process of upgrading the hotel which includes the rooms, conference area and breakfast buffet offering. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

We stayed there from 12th-13th of january. When i made the reservation through phone, the person i had spoken to assured me that we would be checked in at around 8am (an earlier time because of our time of arrival); we had booked for 2 nights but will be checking out at 6pm on the 13th. All of these, i had explained through phone. When we got there at around 830am, tired and sleepy from the early flight, lo and behold! We were told that check in times were at 1230pm. When i had very calmly told the receptionist about my phone conversation with their staff, which i had even provided the name, she just said "the staff would never say that as it us our hotel policy that check in times are at 1230". And added that there were probably no rooms available before that time (which is unbelievable) She might as well say that i was lying. I was very, very angry with how this situation was handled. She could have clarified it with the staff i had spoken with or with their manager, and if the staff on the phone had given me wrong info, then that's ok. I would have gladly accepted an apology. But that girl. Tsk tsk. Even if we were given a room at around 10am, (good on them!) i was still angry with her i ended up having my boyfriend go to the reception just so i wont deal with her.

• Stayed January 2013
Dear Berlynq,

Thank you for your recent feedback on Tripadvisor. I apologise for the miscommunication on our behalf. Certainly no staff should have promised you an early checkin as our checkin time is 2pm.
While we do try to where possible, this request should not have been guaranteed.

Thank you again for your feedback and I will certainly be addressing this with the Front Office team.