“Our Quick Escape”

Ranked #4 of 46 Hotels in Wellington
Blenheim, New Zealand
“Our Quick Escape”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

With only shrot breaks available to us because of work committments the break at the Copthorne Wellington gave us the rest we needed. Breakfast in our room a must and the food is yummy.
Close to town but nice and quiet and with the water view perfect great staff pleasant and helpful overall i had a great rest in an enjoyable enviroment and look forward to continuing this in the future.

Room Tip: View and highter floor was lovely and quiet
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (523)
  • Korean first
Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand
Reviewed April 23, 2013

This hotel is in a great location, short walk to shops and restaurants; sadly this is the best aspect of this hotel. Very poor service made our stay frustrating - the front desk staff were unhelpful and didn't go the extra mile to help us out during our stay. Rooms are adequate, beds comfortable, but very tiny bathroom is almost laughable! Didn't eat at the restaurant as prices are exorbitant! Wifi charges are also a joke - $12.50 for 2 hours! Won't be returning to this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Chose this hotel for the room and views and also the package was brilliant. Our room had harbour views and decor was lovely. Bed very comfy (king size). Staff were friendly, helpful and polite. Made us feel very welcome. Parking a bit of a nightmare and would chance using the parking across the road as costly at $25 night.Breakfasts were delicious, hot and the staff extremely welcoming.Chose Copthorne as it only took under 5 mins to walk to town centre for show. Definitely going back. Pool was ok but would have loved to have a spa. (Please??)

Room Tip: We were on the 7th floor where restaurant/bar and pool were and the room was brilliant. Very very qu...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Australia
Reviewed April 14, 2013

I had to make arrangements at short notice to stay in Wellington and chose here. On arrival its location is astounding. No one at door to take bag, no big deal. Check in was OK, and I did get a room overlooking Oriental Bay when I requested. No added extras as in "would you like your bag taken up", or welcome to The Copthorne, Wellington. I grabbed a coffee in the restaurant on the way to my room and the lady who served me was wonderful. However the walls and doors are marked enroute and I found similar within my room. Chipped furniture and overall a bit neglected. No safe in room. No dressing gown. UHT milk with ordinary coffee and tea. Bathroom small, no bath. The soap was not gonna stay in the soap holder whilst having a shower no matter what. The pool was small and no lights on at 6pm. The gym is down the road so not able to do gym then jump straight into pool. I had forgotten my laptop so used hotel computer in lobby. $4 for 20 mins with a voucher. Very frustrating as it timed out 3 times without me being able to complete. When I asked if there was a way to just use then pay, no go. I locked my door on the inside so had to go back downstairs, couldnt locate a phone on the floor, and told the person at reception. His words "you reckon". Had breakfast and was again let down. The buffet has a very small selection. The serving trays were higher than I am used to which meant I had to reach and lean. I mentioned it to a kitchen person and they ignored me and walked away. Only got the initial coffee offered and then you were on your own. If I am paying $200NZD for a room I definitely expect the details within the hotel to be part of the experience. Some may say picky but if you are similar in thought, this is important. I took the time to respond on their questionnaire in detail, and today I receive an email saying they hoped I enjoyed my stay. Either the enclosed envelope I handed in on departure wasnt received or it wasnt read. This place could be the WOW of Wellington. Come on Mr Orr, get the staff on board with customer service, details, details, details. I cant say I would recommend without addendums. Would love to see improvement cause the location and view are spectacular.

Room Tip: Ask for harbour view. Stunning.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank PoppetAustralia
Reviewed April 11, 2013

We had a large room with a great view of Oriental Bay. The room was clean and comfortable although we were on a room only basis. The hotel is well situation for exploring the harbour and city. The laundry room was conveniently situated although a bit pricey and the tumble dryer didn't work terribly efficiently.
The reception staff were helpful and safely stored our luggage when we checked out so that we could explore the city a bit more.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank South-east-travels
Greymouth, New Zealand
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I was impresses by the large room with a good sized en suite bathroom. Stunning view over Oriental bay. The room was clean and tidy and was well serviced each day. I only had breakfast in the restaurant. The service was slow and most of the food was prepared so I would suggest eating out. I did not have an evening meal so I can't comment. I found the staff to be friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Always ask to see your room before you book
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Auckland
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We were really happy we'd booked this hotel for our family weekend in Wellington. From the first contact with Copthorne staff I was impressed. The person who took my booking on the phone was really helpful and gave me all the information I needed. We opted for a family room which was perfect for 2 adults and 2 kids.

The hotel is not a 5 star property but the location on the waterfront, proximity to Te Papa, Art Gallery and Courtenay Place is fantastic and an easy walk to the city. The view from the balcony was gorgeous. The room itself was spotlessly clean including a small but perfectly adequate bathroom. Comfy beds with loads of pillows.

We had breakfast included in our package and it was fine - again, not 5 star, but it was perfectly fine. The staff at breakfast were excellent and little touches like bringing a clean cup with a new pot of tea were appreciated. The kids loved the heated pool and really appreciated having the 'noodles' and kick board in the pool for the youngest child.

It was a great hotel for our weekend which included visits to Te Papa, Zelandia, the art gallery, a rugby game at the Stadium, dinners in Courtenay Place and playing on the playground at Chaffers.

We will definitely stay here on future trips to Wellington. A great hotel with friendly staff.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family