“Jewel of a restaurant!”

Dining options: Reservations, Seating
New Zealand
“Jewel of a restaurant!”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Casablanca is a tiny restaurant, but that adds to its charm. I've eaten here on occasional visits to Wellington over the past three years, and have never had a bad or even mediocre meal.

The staff are *great*--enthusiastic and really love the food. My husband has medical dietary restrictions and they've been incredibly helpful in identifying or tailoring dishes that meet his needs (and that taste great, too).

The food is absolutely top notch. Each meal begins with an assortment of dips and pita--an exceptional touch, and such a great way to begin a meal! The baba ganoush is excellent (even my eggplant-hating husband loves it). The tagines are perfectly cooked and there's a large choice--can't decide which is my favorite, so I can't give any guidance except to say that all the different ones I've tried have been wonderful. My husband loves the sausage assortment. And you've *got* to try the chicken pastille! It's weird and wonderful; the best description I've been able to come up with is that it's like a baklava made with chopped chicken instead of walnuts. Yes, very different but great!

Visited December 2012

Wellington, New Zealand
“Worth booking”
Reviewed November 9, 2012

We were lucky, it was early on a friday night and we got the last available table for two. We'd been there before but enjoy it enough to return. Its a small premesis, the was only one waitress/FoH working and one gentleman who may have been the chef. My king tagine was tender and filling, and gave me an opportunity to try the morrocan sausage with the safety of knowing lamb was also in my dish incase the sausage wasn't to my liking - no problems there though! My partner had chicket pastilla, crunchy pastry with a spiced chicken filling sprinkled with cinnamon and icing sugar which really worked.
My only critisism is that its so small two waiting staff would get in each others way, but so busy the lady was very rushed trying to get out meals, clear tables etc. There was 15 - 20 min or so between us finishing our mains and deciding to seek desert, and being able to get her attention as she tried to clear a back table for a waiting party AND bring out mains to another large table. It won't stop us going again, but we almost left to have coffee and cake elsewhere before she was free.

• Visited November 2012
Wellington, New Zealand
“Great little place”
Reviewed May 2, 2012

Really enjoyed our midweek visit to this restaurant. The complimentary tasting plate of dips and pita was an unexpected bonus and the generous servings of tagines hearty and delicious. Enjoyed a cup of strong Moroccan coffee, look forward to trying the Moroccan wine on offer next time. Will be making this a regular.

Hastings, New Zealand
“Wonderful food!!”
Reviewed April 15, 2012

Very nice but small morrocan restaurant close to Courtney Place. Food was very well cooked and extremely tasty. Friendly helpful host. Atmosphere was cosy and intimate.

Hastings, New Zealand
“Great food, go and try it!”
Reviewed April 8, 2012

We hadn't tried Moroccan food so Casablanca was the choice for the evening meal. A small restaurant just round the corner from Courtney Place, with interesting decor and a personable host. A delicious and unexpected complimentary tasting plate of pita bread with a variety of tasty dips was offered, followed by our choice of a main with chicken, lamb and beef kebabs on couscous or rice, with salad with an accompanying plate of olives. The drinks menu is small but perfectly adequate, and service is friendly. We will certainly go back and try one of the tagines (Moroccan stew).