“Quirky”

Cuisines: South American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed May 4, 2014

We had afternoon coffee, and breakfast the following morning after overnighting at the Ibis (across the road). While the breakfast service was a casually slow there was enough going on this eclectic restaurant to keep young & old entertained. The menu offered plenty of choice and was very reasonable. We would go back on our next visit to the capital.

Reviewed May 2, 2014

Had a lovely lunch at the Thunderbird cafe and they were very helpful catering to a vegan diet. Lots of choices for everyone else and looked to be very popular with the locals

1  Thank MrsDew
Reviewed April 28, 2014

We loved this casual South American styled restaurant, right across the road from where we were staying at the Ibis Hotel. On a windy rainy night in Wellington it was fantastic not to have to walk far to find a restaurant. The staff are a real asset, very friendly. Nothing too much trouble. Great food and good choice of wines and beers. If you are staying in one of the big hotels and want an alternative to the hotel restaurant but without walking far to the main dining precincts, this is perfect! We highly recommend Thunderbird Cafe.

Reviewed April 12, 2014

My partner and I dined here for lunch today. Our lunch was adequate and we would not be in a hurry to return here again.

The prices are reasonable for lunch. We both ordered the thunderbird burger and ordered curly fries and onion rings as side dishes.

The service here is very slow, so slow that we got a parking ticket. The staff were friendly, but very busy. Our food took along time to come out and it appeared that tables who had ordered after us received their food before we did.

When the food did arrive, we were underwhelmed. The burger was average and had quite a dry bun. The onion rings were huge but unfortunately very doughy tasting. The curly fries on the otherhand were tasty.

I would recommend this place if you are after a casual lunch and are not in a hurry.

Reviewed March 29, 2014

Came here before a concert because it was close to where we needed to be. My wife and I both had the southern fried chicken. The food was pretty good without being fantastic. The place was nice. Prices were ok for the most part. Their drinks are probably overpriced though. $4 for a soft drink, which is reasonably standard. But when I got an unopened can of coke stuck in front of me I have to admit I was a little taken aback. For $4 I would expect a glass, with ice, and preferably, the drink in it. If you're going to give me an unopened can of coke, charge less. I figure you really haven't gone to any major effort.

1  Thank BagmanNZ