Tripadvisor

Cuisines: European
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Really nice place with a good feel. Lovely traditional wood panelling and decor. Friendly and efficient staff and the food was great too.

Date of visit: January 2020
1  Thank MarkD6805
Write a reviewReviews (641)

Reviewed January 15, 2020

There were eight single malt whiskeys on the me menu , however the first three I ordered they did not have. Then the bar man came to the table and pointed out the whiskeys they actually had in stock. I had looked through their rather extensive food menu and settled on the Sole. It was not available either. . My wife chose the Chick & Duck Volauvent . What was served was a stew . All in all it was a disappointment . I think wse would have been better off if we had stuck to the mussels which other people have given good marks. The service was friendly and good and was the saving grace of the evening . It was expensive.

Date of visit: January 2020
Reviewed January 3, 2020 via mobile

A favourite of ours - the Belgian meatloaf sandwich/ burger style meal. We added a small fries and shared one meal, which was more than enough as we weren’t overly hungry. The meatloaf was delicious and is worth visiting Wellington just to go to this pub for a great Belgian beer and good food. The mussels are delicious and really what their specialty but we love the meatloaf and we know it is perfect when we have already enjoyed canapés and drinks elsewhere, earlier in the evening.

Reviewed January 1, 2020

There is a pleasant vibe here, with Flemish sayings on the walls, the decor of a pub, and an extensive list of Belgian beers.

The waiter was patient and helpful with our large group, and made several good recommendations. The restaurant specializes in local green-lipped mussels, and they were excellent. You can get them prepared in several different ways, or order a sampler platter. I ordered sautéed fish, and enjoyed it thoroughly.

You know that a place loves beer when it suggests pairings with dessert!

Reviewed January 1, 2020

This place brought back happy memories of visits to Mechelen for work, and drinking beers with Flemish colleagues in their lovely old pubs. We came her first for a light lunch-I enjoyed a chicken vol-au-vent, washed down with a delicious low alcohol fruit beer. We enjoyed our meal so much we came back for dinner the next day. My main of a venison pie with stoemp (a mix of mashed potato and carrot) was great, although the entree of smoked fishcakes was perhaps a little too much potato and not quite enough fish. A word of warning-the servings here are pretty big. I ordered sticky date pudding for dessert, and it was huge, I just couldn't get through it. Beers are pricey as you'd expect, but food prices were OK. The ambience of the restaurant is great, very traditional, and service was friendly. We really enjoyed both our visits here.