“don't bother”

Voodoo
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 7, 2012

indifferent food jUST DON'T GO HERE. we were amused by our evening but Wellington is full of great places to go and this is not one of them

Reviewed March 23, 2012

Went with friends when down for the Wearable Arts, we had a ball. The southern vibe starts at the stairs and doesn't even stop for the loo's - definitely Lousiana / New Orleans in the decoration as well as the food. Superb Sour Apple Martinis, Hush Puppies and we all ordered different mains and switched. Delicious. The staff are friendly and funny and helpful and I'm going back and taking my Mum for this Wearable Arts visit.

Reviewed March 17, 2012

Following a recent trip to New Orleans we took advantage of a ‘grabone’ voucher deal hoping to relive our food experience (which was great). Voodoo was disappointing. No part of it made us feel we back in the Big Easy.
We had to wait half an hour in a “lounge” area despite having a booking. We were not offered a drink or an indication of the wait time.
As expected with the voucher the choices were limited. For an entree we had the chicken wings and fried prawns. The prawns were tasty enough –the wings were tasteless and cold. Very below average.
For mains we had the ribs and the Chicken Rochambeau – which I was told was ‘chicken in a creamy sauce’. It was average. The chicken tasted the same as the wings, though the little bit of sauce was nice. The ribs had very little meat on them and were fatty. Have had much better ribs elsewhere.
We finished with Keylime pie and peach cobbler – both were good.
Both staff apologised for the wait and delays and said they had more diners than expected.
Given we were told bookings were essential and we had made one this was poor service. Though the waiter was pleasant and very friendly.
We had only paid for two hours parking thinking this was ample time. But as we had such a wait to be seated and delays in being served we returned to our car after two hours and 15 minutes and to a parking ticket... Not a good evening all round.
We are not tempted to go back and try anything else on the menu.
In my view this is not a New Orleans experience.

Reviewed March 10, 2012

My partner and I started with the Gris Gris Wings and hush puppies, followed by the ribs and the Chicken Rochambeau, finishing with the peach cobbler and beignets. We also had a glass of wine each and one beer.

To start, I was disappointed with the beer selection. I was hoping for some nice American beer, but other than Budweiser (obviously not a "good" American beer), there was none. The wine we selected was decent. My partner loved the wings, but being an East Coast US native, I found the seasoning good but the way they were cooked below average; they tasted boiled. The hush puppies were difficult to eat as they were far too dry and their flavor in general was off. After the starters, I was pleasantly surprised by the ribs, some of the best I've tried in New Zealand. Unfortunately, the chicken dish was almost inedible and the oven baked ham portion of it looked like the slices of a pre-cooked ham you'd get from the grocery store. The dessert was tasty, average beignets and the cobbler was great, although different from what I am used to.

We had a voucher, if this was a full price meal, I would go back for the ribs and consider dessert but nothing else. The prices are not justified by the quality of food, it's not consistent, and the atmosphere is lacking. Nothing about it suggests New Orleans. That is fine, but it looks like they have just made over a Mediterranean restaurant, and didn't do a very good job at it. What they did add is tacky. Plus, with a theme like New Orleans, the music could have been more creative than just playing the "Brother Where Art Thou" soundtrack. Service was fine; the waitstaff was very nice.

Overall, it gets points because this type of food is hard to find here and I would recommend a stop for the ribs and cobbler. However, if you are expecting good Cajun cuisine, this is not as good as the average food I've had in New Orleans and not even close to the value.

Reviewed February 8, 2012

Great food, awesome staff members and cool decor could you possibly want more