“Gary and Maraea were WONDERFUL. Do NOT miss this fun, Informative excursion when in Wellington”
Review of Kiwi Coastal Tours

Kiwi Coastal Tours
Ranked #5 of 45 Tours in Wellington
More attraction details
Owner description: Kiwi Coastal Tours. A trip with Craig and Kiwi Coastal Tours will not disappoint, from the start to the end you will be wanting more. Be prepared for a relaxing no rush journey around Wellington city, around the coast and along secluded beaches, take in the awesome scenic panoramas of Raukawa (Cook strait) and on a fine day views of the south island of New Zealand.Learn about the maori way of life pre-European to the present day,hear about the legends of the land and the way Maori used what nature provide for sustenance and as medicines.Safe off road sojourns are a special delight you will get to visit areas that even the locals rarely get to view, there is so much on offer with Craig and Kiwi Coastal Tours so bring a camera and a smile and Craig will throw in a cuppa tea or coffee at our designated rest area with toilet facilities and an awesome view. Be prepared for an enjoyable three (3) hours. Did I mention the wild animals ? I have a reliable vehicle that transports 5 (five) persons comfortably or 6 (six) at a push. I am a one man operation so you get me and only me. Looking forward to having you share this experience with me. Regards Craig Stoddart
salt pond village
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
Reviewed May 6, 2013

PLEASE Do not miss the opportunity to coordinate your personal trip with Gary. Not only do you start and finish with a wonderful Maori blessing, you get to see the mountains, coastline, local flora and fauna, including abalone, seals, wild pigs, goats, deer, ducks all from your 4WD Toyota. I would have been hesitant to drive these roads as a newcomer to the area, but Gary knew where the roads would be passable despite torrential flooding in Wellington the night before our trip. Don't miss a warm coffee and Maraea's, made from scratch, baked goods if the weather's a bit cool as our travels were in early May. Gary pointed out many of the local plants so key to the Maori upon their arrival to this area. After our jaunt to the sea and hilltops surrounding Wellington and Brooklyn, we then headed back to the Bach Cafe right on the water for the best seafood chowder ever, lovely grilled fish, and a salad, plus a special delicious local juice that Maraea recommended, but I forget the name already. Pick up and drop off at your hotel, excellent companionship, friendship, and knowledge of both the culture and the land exchanged. You, the kids, grandparents, the entire family will thoroughly enjoy the excursion. Kia Ora Gary and Maraea. We had such a wonderful time. Mary and Dave.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank DeeGatos
Garykiel123, Owner at Kiwi Coastal Tours, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Kia ora Dave and Mary
What an awesome review, thank you so much.
I am grateful for the kind words and thankful that you enjoyed our time together.
It is important for me to ensure the safety and comfort of my (manuhiri) guest and although the conditions were not the best it is pleasing to know you still enjoyed the tour.
Safe travels wherever you may go and regards from Maraea
Nga mihi nui kia korua

Glasgow
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Top Notch Hospitality”
Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

As part of our recently completed World Cruise we stopped off in Wellington on Feb 19th this year. Arranging this tour by e-mail had been easy and Gary picked us up at the port as promised. Gary is a big man but his welcome was even bigger and made us feel very welcome. The tour around the hills outside Wellington provides for spectacular views and even the weather was outstanding. Feeding the wild pigs and deer was one of many highlights of this tour. Another was the lunch at the cafe run by Gary's wife. Although there was only two of us on this tour Gary ensured that we had a full and enjoyable tour. We enjoyed his Maori welcome and farewell and have no hesitation in recommending Gary and his tour company. Thanks Gary from Angela & George in Glasgow, Scotland.

Visited February 2013
Garykiel123, Owner at Kiwi Coastal Tours, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Kia ora George and Angela
Thank you for your review of our tour together, I am so pleased that you both enjoyed the day.
Especially pleased that you enjoyed the maori culture and history aspect of the tour.
I hope that you have returned safely home and are now enjoying a warm summer.
Maraea says hi to you both.
Regards Gary
wellington
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Remarkable trip”
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Myself and family attended this trip over the weekend. I am a Wellington local and dive instructor, and I thought I knew Wellington. I could not have been more wrong. Gary's trip was educational, friendly and immensely rewarding. A truly great Wellington attraction and a must do for locals and tourists alike.

Very highly recommended.

Visited April 2013
Garykiel123, Owner at Kiwi Coastal Tours, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Nga mihi kia koe Jim
Thanks for the great review of our trip around the South coast, so glad that you all enjoyed the time togeter.
It is very pleasing to entertain locals and show them what is at their back door.
I hope more locals take the oppotunity to visit the area with me as well.
Regards Gary
Pittsburgh, PA
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Thrilling Wellington coastal tour with Gary”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

On a cruise ship stop in March in Wellington, we toured with Gary of Kiwi Coastal Tours. Gary is a larger than life Maori who is extremely proud of his heritage and wants to make you appreciate his culture as much as he does. We did a 3 hour hillside farm and coastal tour. Gary's driving on the farm cliffs is not for the faint of heart, but a roller-coaster thrill. You get great views of Wellington and the sea. His then drives down to the coast for close-up seal viewing. He took us to his wife's Café for an excellent bake good snack.

Visited March 2013
Kia ora and thank you for your kind words on our tour together.
I am a proud New Zealander and immensley proud of my Maori heritage, it is an integral part of my offering to Manuhiri. (visitors/guests)
As we have such a short time together it is very pleasing to hear that what Kiwi Coastal Tours offers by way of Maori culture and Heritage is appreciated.
Nga mihi nui kia koutou
Pensacola Beach, Florida, USA
207 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 158 helpful votes
“Wellington on a Rainy Day”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Gary met us inside the port facility on a very wet day. Since all of NZ was in a drought, the rain was welcomed by the farmers, but it dampened what we were able to do. Gary modified the tour route since climbing into the mountains was going to show us nothing but the rain clouds. We meandered along the beach areas out of town to a small restaurant operated by Gary and his wife where we were treated to a drink and pastry - both very good. While out of the van, Gary explained a lot about the area and his Maori background. However, we were in another van driven by Sam, a very nice man who talked about his property and local hunting and fishing. It was great to see someone so passionate about his Maori background, family, city, and desire to show us all of that.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank BSinPNS
Garykiel123, Owner at Kiwi Coastal Tours, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Kia ora
Thank you for your review of my tour, the weather plays a big part in Wellington and I am fortunate that I can change the tour to suit the day and give the best opportunities for my guests to enjoy themselves.
With large groups it is necessary to employ another driver but I try to include everyone in the commentary of the tour.
Thank you once again and I hope you have returned home safely.
Nga mihi nui kia koutou.