“Wellington on a Rainy Day”
Review of Kiwi Coastal Tours

Kiwi Coastal Tours
Ranked #5 of 46 Tours in Wellington
More attraction details
Owner description: Kiwi Coastal Tours. A trip with Craig and Kiwi Coastal Tours will not disappoint, from the start to the end you will be wanting more. Be prepared for a relaxing no rush journey around Wellington city, around the coast and along secluded beaches, take in the awesome scenic panoramas of Raukawa (Cook strait) and on a fine day views of the south island of New Zealand.Learn about the maori way of life pre-European to the present day,hear about the legends of the land and the way Maori used what nature provide for sustenance and as medicines.Safe off road sojourns are a special delight you will get to visit areas that even the locals rarely get to view, there is so much on offer with Craig and Kiwi Coastal Tours so bring a camera and a smile and Craig will throw in a cuppa tea or coffee at our designated rest area with toilet facilities and an awesome view. Be prepared for an enjoyable three (3) hours. Did I mention the wild animals ? I have a reliable vehicle that transports 5 (five) persons comfortably or 6 (six) at a push. I am a one man operation so you get me and only me. Looking forward to having you share this experience with me. Regards Craig Stoddart
Pensacola Beach, Florida, USA
222 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 166 helpful votes
“Wellington on a Rainy Day”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Gary met us inside the port facility on a very wet day. Since all of NZ was in a drought, the rain was welcomed by the farmers, but it dampened what we were able to do. Gary modified the tour route since climbing into the mountains was going to show us nothing but the rain clouds. We meandered along the beach areas out of town to a small restaurant operated by Gary and his wife where we were treated to a drink and pastry - both very good. While out of the van, Gary explained a lot about the area and his Maori background. However, we were in another van driven by Sam, a very nice man who talked about his property and local hunting and fishing. It was great to see someone so passionate about his Maori background, family, city, and desire to show us all of that.

1 Thank BSinPNS
Garykiel123, Owner at Kiwi Coastal Tours, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Kia ora
Thank you for your review of my tour, the weather plays a big part in Wellington and I am fortunate that I can change the tour to suit the day and give the best opportunities for my guests to enjoy themselves.
With large groups it is necessary to employ another driver but I try to include everyone in the commentary of the tour.
Thank you once again and I hope you have returned home safely.
Nga mihi nui kia koutou.

Milton, Massachusetts, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“American Tourist”
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Was very impressed with this tour I took on March 11,2013. Picked up at my son's house by owner Gary for a three hour tour. He offered his Maori background even teaching me a few Maori words. I saw amazing views, secluded beaches, and several seals. His four wheel drive went into many trails any other vehicle could never do. Met up with wild hogs, And friendly deer. my guide Gary was so kind to me, I'm 77, helping me get pictures of the seals. We ended tour at his wife' restaurant, and sampled her pastry. Would recommend this tour highly. Marie King from Boston, Massachusetts, U SA

Visited March 2013
Garykiel123, Owner at Kiwi Coastal Tours, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
Kia ora Marie
Thank you so much for your kind words of our time together it was special to me also.
I love sharing what the south coast has to offer visitors to our city with the added Maori history and culture and the spectacular scenery thrown in for good measure.
I hope that you are safe and well and have not been affected by the unfortunate tragedy that your city has recently endured.
Stay safe and warm Marie
Nga mihinui kia koe
Seattle, Washington, United States
96 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 110 helpful votes
“A Personnel Tour of Wellington”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

If you love the large bus tours that rush you in and out of everywhere but the restroom stops or the gift shops where they make money off your spending, Gary's Kiwi Coastal Tours is not for you.
I can't believe how lucky I feel that I found Gary on trip-advisor and was one of the lucky few that was really able to experience Wellington. We booked a 5 hour tour with Gary for April 6th. Gary is a proud New Zealander, that is also of Maori descent. He is warm, welcoming, and knowledgable of his home and his people. We were greeted in the traditional Maori way, "Hongi". And then we were taken on an amazing journey above the city. Using locked private roads that no other tour can use Gary and his 4WD took us to some of the most amazing views as we learned about the city of Wellington, the Maori, the plants, animals, and anything else we wanted to know. Stopping when and where we wanted to take pictures we got close-up and personal to deer, wild pigs, and sea lions. The off-roading was so much fun as we traveled along the top of the world before heading down to the beach. We road along the beach hunting for sea lions and then along the coast to the Bach Cafe. This is Gary and his wife's restaurant. She is the sweetest lady and greeted us like family. We were offered whatever we wanted for lunch and we chose the seafood chowder, yum! I wish I had a bowl right now. A huge bowl of the best chowder I have ever tasted. After lunch we were off again exploring the rest of Wellington. This was a day we will never forget. Kia ora Gary. Kia ora from Kathy and Norm

Kia ora Kathy
Thank you for the awesome review, it gives me great pleasure and encouragement to know that people are getting a genuine taste of New Zealand and enjoying all of what I offer especially the maori cultural aspects.
I hope that you have returned home safe and sound best wishes to you both.
Nga mihi nui kia korua.
Sydney, Australia
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Wow”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

What a fantastic tour. My partner, myself and my 84 yo Mum joined Gary on Saturday on a 5 hour tour. What a day. We learnt so much about Maori history and saw so much that you could only see on Gary's tour. From the Beehive to the mountains down to the sea where a friendly seal turned so we could take a good photo, then lunch at Bach Cafe, was the perfect tour for us. Gary's wife Maraea makes you so welcome at the Bach Cafe, the food was perfect. Feed the deer, the wild pig and goat, the views from the mountains, the houses on the water front, so much to see and would recommend this tour. tēnā rawa atu koe Gary, we enjoyed every minute of our tour.

Visited April 2013
Garykiel123, Owner at Kiwi Coastal Tours, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Kia ora Bob
Thank you for your review of our tour together, it was a pleasure to show you the sights of the south coast and also that you appreciated the cultural aspect of my tour.
Please give my regards to your wife and also to her mum, Maraea sends her regards to you all.
Nga mihi nui kia koutou

Kaneohe
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Outstanding Tour!”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

There were 4 of us on the tour and Gary was on time at the dock with a warm smile. We had no idea that we would be off-roading for much of the tour and it was fabulous. He took us into the mountains for a spectacular view. We could see both sides of the island, and also got to see some wildlife. He was very careful, and we all felt we were in good hands. After seeing the beautiful vista, we headed down to the shoreline and he took us off-roading there, too. He pulled over to show us the marine life and we actually walked over the rocks to see abalone, limpets, and other sea creatures. Gary knew where they hid and turned over a huge rock filled with abalone. He took us to eat lunch at a restaurant with delicious fresh seafood. If you want a great adventure, and something different from the norm, this is definitely the tour to take. You will not be sorry for this choice. It was the best!

Visited March 2013
Garykiel123, Owner at Kiwi Coastal Tours, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Aloha ki te whanau i te motu o Hawaii
What a great experience for me to have the pleasure of your company on my tour and to interact as we did was totally awesome for me and my wife.
I learned so much from our day together so thank you for that and the beautiful review.
My wife and I send our warmest greetings to you all and hope that the rest of your trip was filled with happiness and enjoyment.
I now dine regularly on nopihi.
Nga mihi nui kia koutou