“Must try the snickers milkshake!”
Review of Fidel's Cafe

Fidel's Cafe
Ranked #59 of 1,007 Restaurants in Wellington
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Came here with friends for dinner, luckily we got a good table at dinnertime as oddly they don't take bookings. All of the food we had was really good, and most of the servers were great, if a bit frazzled. They forgot one person's main (and considering there were only three of us, that's pretty egregious) but knocked half the price off to compensate.

We had the snickers milkshakes, and geez, those could be meals on their own! They came in HUGE metal tumblers, and I couldn't even finish mine despite it being really delicious. Unlike most milkshakes that become disgusting goo as they warm, this one stayed delicious and kept its texture. It really does taste like snickers bars, and had bits of roasted peanuts floating about in it.

For starters we had the onion rings, and salt and pepper squid. Both were really nice though I especially recommend the onion rings. Really tasty and really really crisp crumb, and had a great sauce. For my main I had the burger, which had bits of spicy chorizo in it for a delicious spice hit.

One quibble is that we were trying to flag down one of the waitresses, who looked directly at us and nodded to us like she was going to be right back, but then disappeared completely. We had to flag someone else down in the end. Also, there's a "toilet" sign on the door that leads to the outdoor seating, which was rather confusing and embarrassing, both to me and a number of others we saw try and find the bathroom. They seemed rather annoyed at having to direct me to the actual bathroom, and when I got there it seemed so dodgy and run-down I decided I'd rather not use it at all.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

A Wellington institution good coffee and food,with a nice outdoor area. Service can be a little underwhelming and Could be a little cleaner if I was being fussy. All in all a place I visit when in town

Reviewed May 23, 2013 via mobile

Walked in with party of 4 for lunch, was asked to wait at the front for a table to become available but then totally forgotten about. Numerous other parties walked in and got tables straight away.

Walked out after 10 minutes of being ignored.

Plenty of other choice in Cuba St

Reviewed May 10, 2013

We enjoyed the milkshakes and vege savouries. Range of vegetarian options.
The cafe was quite busy when we went in but we were served promptly.
What a great atmosphere. Funky revolutionary interiors.

1  Thank Neelsnz
Reviewed May 7, 2013

this is a great place for a casual fun meal or snack. The design school is nearby and during the week it's a young, hip crowd coming in for the many vegetarian and vegan offerings. great milkshakes and the coffee is always superb. Outdoor areas are paricularly fun.