“Good bars, shops and service are never far away”
Review of Gourmet Stay

Gourmet Stay
Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at Gournet Stay at the end of December 2012. Whilst the hotel is in a fairly quiet street, it's only a few minutes walk away from Cuba St shops, Havana bar and the Light House cinema.

The staff were extremely helpful, and make a great coffee downstairs to boot!

The room itself was simple but spacious, with a big comfy bed and our room also had an outdoor hot tub, which was a blessing on a surprisingly cold day!

Perfect for a short stay in Wellington.

• Stayed: January 2013

Reviewed December 18, 2012

Very kind and helpful hosts. We had had to cancel our stay last minute (we later shifted it one night forward) due to being trapped in Milford Sound. Mark was helpful and understanding and waived the cancellation fee. The room was very clean and the bedding a very high standard. Enormous bunks!! Free wifi (a treal treat in NZ). Immaculately clean bathrooms. The cafe that they also run here looked really good - sorry that we weren't around long enough to give it a whirl.Not a bad location - not far from Cuba Street, where we got some great, cheap food. Would def stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 16, 2012

My friends and I recently stayed in a private/en-suite room for 2 nights. We arrived early, having opted to try and get the most out of our day and were able to store our bags until check in. The friendly woman behind the cafe counter was happy to point us in the direction of shopping and sights to kill time before check in. We found shopping, sights and a range of eating options within a short walk which was a bonus. Later that afternoon, we had the only hiccup of our stay when we returned to properly check in. There was some confusion when we tried to collect our bags over if we were leaving or checking in but it was quickly sorted and we were shown to our room on the top floor. The room was big enough that we didn't feel like we were in each others space and the bathroom was much bigger than we expected. Despite the hotels small size, we barely saw or heard any other guests which made for very peaceful nights sleep! After an issue with the wireless on our second night, a phone call later and we were quickly visited and the issue sorted, better than the service you'd find at some larger hotels! Gourmet Stay is the perfect choice if you'd rather save your money to sample the sights and food Wellington has to offer, will definitely be back!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 10, 2012

I had a lovely experience here at Gourmet Stay due to a bit of luck, but mostly because of the thoughtful touches put into the hotel. I had originally reserved a bed in the dorm room, but was upgraded to a double, which I had to myself for the two nights I spent in Wellington. This was definitely a welcome surprise, as I had just come from staying in dorms in hostels in Auckland and Rotorua. I of course appreciated the quality bedding, the free tea and coffee, and the wonderful food available in the cafe on the ground floor (one of the owners is a chef), but small things like the TopTips board at the entrance and having a quick chat with the owners made my stay memorable. I would highly recommend this place to anyone looking for centrally located accommodation in Wellington that breaks the mold of larger chain hotels.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Gourmet Stay is quite a gem. Located in the heart of Wellington, handy to hundreds of restaurants, it is the perfect place to stay and not pay a fortune. Another highlight is the great breakfast that can be bought from the cafe downstairs. Not all rooms have ensuites but those that don't have dedicated bathrooms very close.

Room Tip: Maybe pay a little extra and get an ensuite?
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 29, 2012

I was headed to Wellington for a conference but went early so had to sort my own room for one night. I was traveling alone but really wanted a lower-priced option that wasn't a hostel or a dump - difficult considering it was the eve of the premiere of the hobbit. Searching Trip Advisor I came across Gourmet Stay and I was pleased to see they had one shared room with a bunk bed and a single bed that was reasonably priced. Since the rest of the rooms are hotel rooms I figured it would be much quieter than a shared room in a hostel - I was definitely correct on that. I almost didn't even see the other guests very often.

The owner already had one of the three beds booked so blocked off the third bed which I thought was very considerate. The room was well kept and the bed was very comfortable. They even let me check in early when I just wanted to drop off my bag before I went out into the city. All of the staff I interacted with were friendly and helpful. (Even when I was asking about a place that served pancakes for breakfast - they didn't have them at their onsite cafe and the girl was friendly in suggesting another place. I find often people aren't so keen to help when their answer will send you away from their business... so kudos to them for putting customer service first!)

Even the shared room had a flat screen TV in it. There was also a little table and chair as well. They provided a hairdryer and when I came back to the room before dinner it was lovely to find some fresh scones and makings for tea and coffee left for the guests. It's lovely to have the cafe space to sit in although I am sure the other rooms would be larger and more set up for you to spend time in them.

The bathroom on the ground floor which was shared by the 2 rooms on that floor was large and also well kept. A little shelf for toiletries would be helpful but truly if that's the only room for improvement I can suggest then they are doing a great job!

I look forward to coming back with my husband and actually booking one of their usual hotel rooms because I am sure they

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 3, 2012

We stayed at the Gourmet Stay on 24th September 2012 on a roadtrip North to South. A flying visit before catching the ferry early the next morning.

Mark was very welcoming and pointed us towards a place to eat and a number of nice bars. We were also very fortunate to be upgraded into Room 1: an en-suite room with a large terrace complete with hot-tub. Happy days!

The location was great. Only 5 mins walk to Courtenay Place which is full of restuarants, bars and the Embassy Theatre (of LOTR fame). Wellington itself was a really nice city. Wish we'd allowed ourselves more time to explore.

We left too early to sample breakfast. Somewhat disappointing as the cafe/deli looked like it would have served great food. (TIP: Apparently if you book directly with Gourmet Stay rather than through an agency breakfast is included).

In short, we had a great stay and would love to come back someday for a proper look around Wellington.

Lynsey & Paul (UK)