“Best Pizza we've had in NZ and great Pasta”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Pizzeria Napoli

Pizzeria Napoli
Ranked #3 of 908 Restaurants in Wellington
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza, European
Good for: Special occasions, Kids, Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Wellingtons finnest Woofired Pizza and Pasta restaurant in the heart of wellingtons social hub. All our pizza and pasta are prepared on site and cooked in a ktichen set up allowing visitors to view the whole process from streching to cooking. A very warm and cosy atmosphere where you will be well wined and dined. come enjoy Pizzeria Napoli ciao
Wellington, New Zealand
“Best Pizza we've had in NZ and great Pasta”
Reviewed June 28, 2012

Ok, We finally broke down and ordered something other than the pizza. If you do order pizza--the Margherita Originalle is the BEST! We got the Pasta Carbonare is great. The sauce is so good. Tried the Pasta di Mare-- it has a wonderful kick with great seafood. Went w/ friends for dinner. If you have a time factor, make reservations. The restaurant is rather small, but will be happy to hold a table for you. Wonderful, friendly staff. Good service. Don't miss this place when in Wellington.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank kiwitraveller3010

• Korean first
Wellington, New Zealand
“Excellent pizza, go early to get a seat!”
Reviewed June 9, 2012

A good restaurant is a full restaurant and this restaurant filled up in about 30 minutes from when we sat down, with people being turned away. I suspect we were lucky to get in at all. Another sign is empty plates, as our's were at the end of our meal!

We haven't been to this restaurant before because the frontage is so small you'd miss it. There are a couple of pizza restaurants on this section of Courtenay Place. We picked this one because it was busy and there were a group of Italians eating there!

The restaurant is styled in the manner of an Italian street cafe by means of a wall painting. As these things go the effect is pleasing. The staff are friendly and efficient and there's no long wait for service or the pizza. I'm assuming that one of the chefs is deaf as the waitress signed the order to him across the busy restaurant which I thought was just so cool!

We ordered wine before our pizza arrived, just a glass each of Chianti and a Montepulciano. We enjoyed these waiting for our pizza to arrive. This being a cold winter's night the slight draught from the door behind me competed with the faint mist of wood smoke coming from the wood fired oven in the kitchen at the other end of the restaurant. I wondered if those closer to the oven smelled even more "wood smoked" than I did on leaving the restaurant? This is certainly something that the restaurant needs to address, perhaps by increasing the setting on the extractor fan? We were headed to the St. James Theatre and so hoped that the people next to us weren't too bothered by our smoky odour!

The pizzas arrived and they were fantastic. I've eaten pizza in Rome, Venice, Naples and the US and this was right up there with the very best I've encountered. There wasn't a "smothering of cheese", as another reviewer has commented, on either of our pizzas. Perhaps they have learned from that review? The crust, flavour, fragrance (is there anything better than fresh basil?) and presentation was perfect. Simple food like this doesn't often impress me but this most certainly did.

So this is THE pizzeria for me from now on. I will however avoid it if I am going anywhere where a smoky odour might offend, and may well prefer to go in summer when an open door will flush through the smoke and the air outside will be warm. From what another reviewer says I would not sit in the outside area due to the smokers, who thankfully MUST be outside in New Zealand. I reduced the overall rating and the atmosphere rating purely because of the draught and the wood smoke. The restaurant and ambience are excellent. We will certainly return.

• Visited June 2012
“Greatest pizzeria in Welly”
Reviewed June 2, 2012 via mobile

This is one of our favourite restaurants. Great atmosphere and even better pizza. Worth the wait for a table if busy as it is most of the time. Enjoy a quick meal or stay longer and chat with John, Rafaele and the crew. Ciao W.

1 Thank WTB61
“Highly recommended”
Reviewed May 1, 2012

We went to Napoli with friends on Sunday night after the launch of the New Zealand Art Show at the Museum Hotel.
This place is becoming a firm favourite of mine. My partner had the Margherita and pronunced it the best she'd ever had.
I had the calzone and it was up to its usual high standard.
The wine I ordered, a Sangiovese was unavailable so we went with the waitresses recommendation and weren't disappointed.
Nothing is too much trouble for the staff and the atmosphere is tremendous. A wonderful addition to the Wellington scene and so very affordable - a great place for an excellent night out that doesn't break the bank

• Visited May 2012
3 Thank RobMcG
Wellington, New Zealand
“Unsubtle, plus a bit of a shock”
Reviewed April 14, 2012

This pizzeria has an inside and outside area - we sat outside as it was a warm night, and were bombarded by 3 different sets of competing music, cigar and cigarette smoke. Not entirely pleasant but we managed.

I ordered the Margherita pizza as I wanted something simple, and not cheesy. What I got was a pizza *smothered* in dripping cheese. Not a good Margherita at all - I ate only a couple of pieces. Others' pizzas were also too cheesy.

In the bathroom, the liquid soap smelled like a very strong cleaning fluid (it was definitely not hand soap), and left my hands feeling dry and smelling strongly of chlorine. I suspect the cleaner made an error when refilling the soap.

The service and drinks menu was good - a nice selection of beers and wine, with buckets of Corona available.

Unfortunately I would not return to this restaurant.

• Visited April 2012