“Best Turkish I've had outside Turkey”
Review of Kilim

Kilim
Ranked #93 of 956 Restaurants in Wellington
Cuisines: Turkish
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

Wow, stepping through the door at Kilim is like stepping through a portal and ending up in Turkey. The sites, sounds and smells, instantly transporting me back to my days of traveling thorough that amazing country back in 1996.

Traditional Turkish carpets line the walls and floors, and of course the staff are the real deal. Which told me straight away I'm in for a treat.

There was only one problem, with so many amazing options to choose from - what to order? Kebab, Iskender, Adana, Turkish pizza....the list goes on and on.

Being our first time, we opted for the Iskender - standard comes with choice of meat, rice, salad, humus, tabbouleh, cacik, beetroot sauce and traditional hot tomato sauce straight from the stove. All topped with garlic yoghurt and humus sauce.

The presentation of the food was fantastic. But it was the taste that capped it all off - wow. Its all good here folks, but he lamb is just amazing, none of that cheap over powered with garlic and spices, mince that you get at most kebab joints....here it's the real deal, tender pieces of real lamb!

I can say the search is finally over, for years I've been traveling NZ looking for the perfect kebab and Iskender, that search is over - and all this time it was right under my nose here in Petone.

Get down there. Thanks to the team at Kilim - you made my day last Saturday!

Reviewed June 24, 2013

I thoroughly enjoyed our meal which was super tasty and very fast service. Great value for money, and have since enjoyed taking the family there also.

Reviewed May 15, 2013

Kilim is a simple eat in and take away Turkish restaurant. There is nothing fancy about it but it serves good, reasonably priced Turkish food. The restaurant is decorated with Turkish carpets and other hangings etc from that area. Meals are large so go when you are hungry. Great place to eat before going to the wonderful little cinema in Petone, which is nearby. The best value meal we had in New Zealand. So good, that we went back for lunch!

Reviewed August 3, 2012

Food was very good. Service was good. Value for money was good. The first time we came here they were asked to leave different things off two of the plates, but only left stuff off one. This is a little annoying. If I was rating them on that meal alone it would be 4 stars only.

However, we came here again a couple of months later, they got our meals perfect. And the food was excellent, way better than the first time. Now they get 5 stars.

Reviewed June 30, 2012

I have had the best Kebabs outside of Turkey here. The large is LARGE and the food is well seasoned and tasty. They wouldn't win master chef on their presentation of the meals, but who cares when they taste this good!

Service - I'm not marking them down here as the service was great on Friday night. Staff were friendly and it pays to know that this is a self service resturant with regards to water etc and that's how three adults ate for $23 each - and we were all full!!
Grab your water glasses from the back and drink up Petone water (no cholorine here) and whilst you are at grab your wine glasses too.

The resturant is also provides a takeaway service so at night that does mean that the area around the till will get crowded. Table service is provided at night only and it pays to book Thurs-Sun.

The only issue we had was the door into the resturant is really hard to open.