“Consistently good”

Ranked #23 of 938 Restaurants in Wellington
Cuisines: Delicatessen, Italian, Cafe
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: From the moment you step through our door, you will feel like you are in Italy. A unique combination of a Restaurant, Cafe and Retail shop, La Bella Italia in Petone, Wellington was born from director Antonio Cacace's passion to educate Kiwis about the beauty of traditional, authentic Italian products and cuisine.
“Consistently good”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I have been here quite a few times now, although curiously I've never written a review. My kids love the wood-fired pizza here, and my wife enjoys the chance to shop while we're out for dinner. I was here in early January 2013, and had my usual main of sirloin steak on rocket and grana. Then I had the Gelato “affogato” con liquore (Vanilla ice cream with a short black and a shot of Sambuca, Amaretto or Grappa - grappa in my case). As usual, excellent. The staff are fun and it is a very convivial atmosphere. When you meet the tall Italian waiter, ask him how his beloved Roma football team are going!

• Visited January 2013

“A little disappointed”
Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

We have been to La Bella Italia a few times before for brunch and lunch and had enjoyed it, and so chose to return for dinner with some good friends. We ordered a couple of antipasti to start, and while they were tasty, they were quite small. Two of us ordered the eggplant parmigiana, one ordered risotto and one lasagna. The risotto and lasagna were nice, but the eggplant parmigiana was very disappointing for a $28 main. Small portions, bland flavors. I felt I could have whipped up something better in the same time at home. The wine was okay, but I think quite over priced. The desserts however were very good, all of us enjoyed them. The service was okay, nothing special. With all the other great restaurants in Petone, unless I was really craving Italian, I'd try elsewhere.

2 Thank Jscindc
Pretoria, South Africa
“Great Italian food in a great atmosphere”
Reviewed January 19, 2013

I agree with Kangili that this is a great stop off for everyhting from coffee and cake to a romantic diner a deux to full blonw family event having done all of the above during our recent one month visit to Wellington. The basis is great food with excellent friendly but efficient staff. The food.. the recent special of fafelle with lamb ragu was probably one of the best dishes I have eaten anywhere anytime and the rest of the menu is just as good based on good quality ingredients and well prepared. The staff are efficient but still have Italian flair which makes for a relaxed ambience. All in all a great spot hidden away unamusing in what looks like a converted warehouse in the middle of a light industrial area... a real pearl among the swine!!

• Visited January 2013
“Full of character”
Reviewed November 24, 2012

We were worried the restaurant was full, but they found us a table. We were immediately given water, and had our wine order taken, and we only had a short wait before our our meal arrived,, an antipasto platter and a salmon penne pasta. The desserts looked lovely, but we didn't have room. The tables were very close together, which was nice, you felt a real family atmosphere. A very enjoyable Sunday lunch.

• Visited November 2012
Wellington, New Zealand
“Always a fantastic experience”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Great for the family, for a romantic dinner, for a quick coffee and cake. A glass of wine and some antipasti... Some shopping. You can't go past Bella, and the staff are friendly, helpful and inviting everytime.

• Visited October 2012