“Great Lunch”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed June 7, 2014

We went here for my Birthday Lunch - we were the first in and got a nice seat by the window. Menu was a little long, too many options. I had the shrimp cocktail which was what i expected, however, a little too much thousand island sauce squirted from a bottle, then Chicken Parmigiana, this was good with vegetables and then the biggest piece of Passion fruit Cheesecake - this was very good ... along with three glasses of wine, all in all very good and will be back. Staff gave very good service and attentive making sure my wine glass was never empty!

There are newer reviews for Portofino

Reviewed June 7, 2014

The owner was waiting outside to encourage potential diners inside. We were rather unsure and would have preferred to check out the menu first. But THANK GOODNESS he did drag us in.
The food was superb in every way. The waiter and waitresses were very helpful and service was excellent.
The rissoto was full of flavour and not expensive. have never had such a divine dessert and wish I hadn't chosen to share with someone else.
Do go there and it won't costs you a fortune,

Reviewed June 2, 2014

We have been many many times to Portofino as it is hard to beat for location (amazing view over the harbour). I love to watch the East/West ferry docking/boarding passengers right outside the window. The best ever people watching location with office workers out jogging at lunchtime, mothers/fathers and children enjoying the waterfront. We have spent time enjoying great food on every visit. Service has always been good, welcomed at the door on arrival and taken to our seats. Fantastic value for money. p.s. the best marinated feta which we find goes well with the chilli bread.

1  Thank Rob T
Reviewed May 29, 2014 via mobile

Went for a farewell lunch for a friend at work. Told the waitress at the door that I was part of a booking; she said "It's 'round there" and pointed around the corner instead of taking us to the table. I had the chicken parmigiana, which came with some vegetables. The chicken was dry and the vegetables only half cooked. A colleague ordered some rosemary potatoes and got a sad bowl of boiled potatoes with parsley. When she questioned it the server said the kitchen was out of rosemary. Shouldn't an Italian restaurant have plenty of a key ingredient? The same waitress processed out bill and she had an attitude like she did NOT want to be there. When my colleague asked to ensure that the potatoes were not on the bill the waitress barked "They're not on there". Most of us were pretty underwhelmed with the food and the service. The décor was nice, except for the paper napkins. Outstanding location, but couldn't make up for the experience.

Reviewed May 13, 2014

My husband and I decided to come to Portofino for a meal before going to a show on that evening, located nearby at TSB Arena. I called to make a booking a few days before and was told that they didn't take bookings for dinner unless it was for larger numbers. So we went along at about 5.45pm and it was about half full already. We were placed at a small table right beside reception and it was not that comfortable (not a lot of room, constant traffic going past). We noticed that a number of tables for 2 (with much more comfy looking chairs!) along the window were empty, so my husband asked the restaurant manager if we could be moved. We were told that those tables were booked - which annoyed me a little as I had been told they wouldn't take bookings for 2!

Anyway - the meal itself was quite nice. I had a shrimp cocktail, chicken fettucine and a chocolate tart for dessert. My husband had pizza bread, chicken parmigiana and cheesecake. We shared a bottle of Prosecco as well. The service was good, very quick and efficient.

Overall the food was ok (not outstanding but very good), and service was good. The atmosphere I found a little lacking - because of the table we were seated at. I would go back, but perhaps for lunch rather than dinner (I have been once before for a work lunch and it was very enjoyable). The booking confusion was a bit of an issue for me but not the end of the world.