“Beautiful Food and Great Service”
Review of Ortega Fish Shack

Ortega Fish Shack
Ranked #2 of 917 Restaurants in Wellington
Cuisines: Seafood, European, New Zealand
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Fresh NZ Seafood
Wellington, New Zealand
“Beautiful Food and Great Service”
Reviewed July 4, 2014

After reading all the positive reviews we decided to eat here on a Friday evening. We had pre-booked and are glad that we did. It was very busy and was filling up fast! I ordered the prawn tails as a main and it was stunning. My husband ordered the salmon which also got the big thumbs up. For dessert I had the crepes which were really nice, but I did find them a bit too sweet for my liking. The service was great and very friendly. It's got a nice vibe and we were still able to hold an easy conversation when it was full. It is more on the higher end of the pricing scale, but worth it.

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank Car0lyn777

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Tromsoe, Norway
“Excellent food and service”
Reviewed July 3, 2014

This didn't really look like a top restaurant, but partly because of the TA ranking we chose it for a birthday meal, and we were not disappointed. The food was really excellent, and arrived quickly on hot plates. The waiter was quick, efficient and unusually attentive (in a good way), always making eye contact with each table before exiting; always checking if something was missing or should be removed (wine, water, plates). A thoroughly enjoyable experience; highly recommended.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Pleonast
Wellington, NZ
“I don't eat fish but this is still the best”
Reviewed June 27, 2014

A year ago I nearly had to be dragged here as I don't eat fish .I have now eaten here with friends,family and clients at least once a month and it remains my favourite restaurant .
The atmosphere is fantastic as Davey and his team work to squeeze those who havnt booked into the small but cosy rooms. At the bar we have Wellingtons top barman Rory who has an encyclopedic knowledge of a vast range of drinks . The rest of the staff make you always feel welcome and the wine list is good
My mates love the fish but I am a steak man .For over a decade I have always rated Boulcott St Bistro's fillet the best in town but it's now slipped to second . The steak is always well cooked and , the sauces( Bearnaise at times ) is fabulous .
Keep up the good work Mr Limacher and your wider whanau

1 Thank yesom
Wellington, New Zealand
“Efficient, FODMAP friendly and always tasty”
Reviewed June 24, 2014

I wouldn't usually start a review with "efficient" but theres no other way to describe my latest visit to Ortega. Firstly Davey managed to squeeze in a booking for my partner and I at the last minute (an hour turn around time which I imagine can be hard on staff). Secondly I have a list of serious dietary requirements a mile long... this has never been an issue for the chefs at Ortega and last night (despite being fully booked) I was even presented with my own special menu. A massive thank you to the chef and waitstaff for such wonderful accommodation and attentiveness.. and as always the meals were just superb. I will always be back!

2 Thank Jessmolloy1981
Auckland, New Zealand
“Faultless, innovative and unpretentious food”
Reviewed June 21, 2014

I came here for dinner with a group of colleagues and we sat upstairs in the private dining room with a small set menu. This turned out to be the best meal I've ever had in Wellington, which, to be honest is a relief as I was beginning to think I was one of the only people in the world to have not found the wonderful dining for which the capital is reputed.

Firstly, atmosphere - fabulous. From the outside, the Shack looks just like a small cafe in a little block of shops. The place was buzzing and full but not so noisy you couldn't talk to your neighbours. The decor was quirky but warm and inviting and not at all pretentious. The toilets in particular are amusing (I won't spoil the surprise).

The food was amazing. Well thought out, beautifully presented, consistently high quality and cooked to perfection. Again, not in the slightest pretentious and the portions were generous without being overwhelming.

To start with, I had a smoked kipper with beetroot risotto, goats cheese and chilli oil. After that came gurnard with pappardelle, manchego cheese, cavolo nero and crayfish butter. Lastly there was spiced tamarillos with sticky black rice, coconut sorbet and passionfruit. I can't praise the food highly enough and couldn't even pick a favourite course.

So, that's it. You shouldn't miss this place. I would advise you to book however as it seems to get very busy!

1 Thank nesbitevans