“Simply Faultless”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Fresh NZ Seafood
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We had heard a lot about this restaurant, so it was with great anticipation that visited for a couples night out. We didn't have a booking, but the website said that they catered for casual diners. We arrived and were told that they were fully booked, but they could reserve us a table in an hours time. Sure enough, when we came back it was all ready to go.

The staff were very friendly,...unlike some of the other restaurants I have visited, and had good knowledge of the menu. The food was exceptional. My wife had a Scottish Kipper salad for a starter, while I had a selection of Bluff Oysters done in different styles. We both had the pan-fired Groper with a crayfish cream sauce, and we both agreed that it was one of the best fish dishes either of us had eaten.

A very good selection of wines, not to mention a great selection of Craft Beers as well!

Highly recommended, we will definitely be returning.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,098)

Reviewed August 7, 2013

It was my birthday that night and we were made extremely welcome by the manager and the waiting staff who remained attentive throughout the night.
Although the building is old and the space crowded the ambience is confortable and warm.
The wine list is extensive and expensive but provides very good quality wines. The menu gives an ample selection .
Our party had main courses and desserts with each dish true to the description and high quality.
Food pricing was typical for Wellington and good value. Overall a very good meal. A nice fial touch was the waitress saying farewell to the party at the door.

Overallla grat

1  Thank 900AlanH
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Had an entree of Bluff oysters here as part of a progressive dinner party.

The oysters were of a nice size and were washed down with some beautiful wine (by the glass) recommended by a very wine savvy waitress.

Will definitely go back for a full meal next time in Wellington.

1  Thank baliliving
Reviewed August 6, 2013

As a small hotel owner in the neighbourhood I'm usually too busy working to eat out a lot, but when my guests ask for a vibrant place to dine with fantastic seafood, Ortega is always high on list of recommendation. Fortunately, I did have the chance to dine there again recently with some friends visiting from out of town - Davey and the crew were in top form, serving up a wonderful variety of tasty dishes. Well worth a visit, and always well regarded by my own customers.

2  Thank Alan_from_Ohtel
Reviewed August 2, 2013

On a cold and blustery night at short notice my partner and I booked an upstairs table. We were greeted beautifully and although table was not ready, didn't mind waiting at the bar looking at interesting fishy decor. The staff are very friendly, happy and knowledgeable without being over bearing. The atmosphere is lively but upstairs with no carpet it was unfortunate we were surrounded by noisy tables, I guess that's what to expect on a Saturday night. We had fresh bluff oysters as an entree which were superb despite being end of season and some beautiful calamari. The star of the show was the amazing fish pie- monkfish and smoked warehou - it was absolutely superb and worth flying to Wellington for. The staff happily accommodated our request to indulge in dessert downstairs where it was quieter and we were very impressed with the cheese platter, at room temperature and pay for what you eat- superb selection. Dessert was an extraordinary chocolate mousse washed down with a gorgeous sherry. The wine list is good and reasonably priced, service is brilliant and it was a great experience. Highly highly recommended.