“Great seafood with style excellent service and quirky Wellington vibe all makes for a great night”
Review of Ortega Fish Shack

Ortega Fish Shack
Ranked #1 of 1,007 Restaurants in Wellington
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Fresh NZ Seafood
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Imaginative menu and great wine list and funky decorations make a great start. Why would you not order seafood in a fish shack? Sashimi starter was exceptional. Snapper with crayfish cream & mushroom. Tarahiki with Malay coconut sauce also excellent. I can't forget the truly professional and delightful service. This place I'd the whole package / wish we could get a booking tomorrow too!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,185)

Reviewed June 9, 2013

My wife and I dined here on a Saturday night which was very busy. With this in mind the service never missed a beat and the food was delivered in a timely manner. My wife passed on her entree to ensure she could fit in a desert . My entree was prawns in garlic with a small base of pasta. Cooked perfectly and delivered promptly. We both had fish for dinner. I had the tarakihi which I cook often. It was in a Malaysian curry broth with superbly matched coriander salad. Lets just say I'll happily give up cooking this fish and order this dish over and over! My wife's gurnard was also cooked perfectly. Her desert of pear soufflé with chocolate was lovely I am assuming as she wasn't prepared to share. The wine matches were also spot on. I have to say the cheery hello from the barman and the excellent service from the rest of the staff made for an excellent evening.

Reviewed June 7, 2013

We arrived early for our booking but it was no problem. We were tired but soon restored by the warm friendly atmosphere , the lovely service and the fantastic food. Would definitely revisit. Particularly recommend the warm coconut finger with mango sorbet and passion fruit cream for dessert.

Reviewed May 31, 2013

The waitress managed to squeeze us in, when they were almost fully booked. It is easy to see that the staff enjoy working here. The pear souffle that I had was perfect.
We will be recommending this place to our friends.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

My partner and I spend a month travelling around NZ on a book tour and ate in a lot of different places. We're both foodies who love fish. This was the absolute highlight of our visit.

We selected a 2010 bottle of wine and were offered a 2007 bottle instead for the same price (they just happened to have one left). The amazing wine waiter discussed this with us for AGES. 2010 is a better vintage, but then the 3 years of bottle age... etc. etc. I include this as an example of the care they take in helping you select food and drink. We chose the 2007 and it was transferred into a beautiful, huge decanter. My starter - the sashimi - was probably the best sashimi I have ever had. I followed it with the Tarakihi, which was also delightful. After that we had some sorbet (which they brought specially for us on request), and then some cheese - they bring you a cheese-board which they have weighed, and then simply weigh it again after you've finished and charge you for what you have eaten.

The atmosphere is buzzy and energetic but relaxed, and my partner and I felt cosy and romantic in the corner downstairs. I don't think the atmosphere upstairs is quite as amazing, so it might be worth asking for a table downstairs if this is a thing for you (it really is for me). I was almost put off this place by an earlier reviewer talking about its child-friendliness (no offence, but for a romantic dinner...). But for me this is definitely one to keep for the grown ups.

1  Thank Scar T