“Good unpretentious food!”

Ranked #6 of 997 Restaurants in Wellington
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Taste of Our Place - Kia Ora, Kai, Kaitiaki. At Logan Brown, you'll experience a welcoming, inspiring and genuine taste of our place, our people and the produce that makes you proud to be a New Zealander. We opened in December Friday the 13th in 1996 and decades later it is way different but still the same! We have evolved with dining trends, service styles, taken opportunities with new product and techie innovations and of course will continue to do so. What has never changed is the sharing with our guests our true passion for our craft, our community and our country. We want everyone to be as proud as we are about New Zealand’s environment, the land and seas bounty, and the amazing people who harvest or produce from it. Working closely with these passionate producers inspires and excites the team who are proud to share their stories, and we always welcome new seasons and new to the market produce from suppliers and give it a go.
Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

Fresh ingredients prepared wonderfully and without fuss - just as their website proclaims, 'restaurants don't need to be formal to serve fine food'!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,306)

Reviewed October 30, 2013

Had been to this restaurant several year ago and was keen to try it again while visiting Wellington.

Throughly enjoyed my evening right from the pre dinner drink at the cool little bar through to desert.

Food was excellent, the service just how I like it (attentive but not over your shoulder) and I like the room decor as well.

Great evening all around.

Reviewed October 25, 2013

On Sunday, 20th October, 2013, my husband and I dined at Logan Brown Restaurant. Approximately 5 years ago we had also dined there and it was excellent. This time I am afraid it didn't just seem to be as good.
My main was the venison but I was disappointed as it did not have a lot of flavour. My husband had the Wagyu steak which he found to be quite grisly (as opposed to a good fillet steak). The two sides of vegetables ordered one being asparagus was also a disappointment. We also had a very small entree of 2!! fishcakes. The staff were attentive and with our truffles for dessert there was lovely chocolate wording on our plate that said Happy 40th Anniversary. We left feeling that for the money that we had paid for the evening maybe our expectations had been too high. But on reflection and comparison with the other two smaller restaurants that we also had meals at in Wellington we both came to the conclusion that we were disappointed on our big celebrations meal out at "Logan Brown" in Wellington.

logie22, Owner at Logan Brown, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

We are so sorry that you thought you evening was average.
The venison is Wild venison from the bush north of Hawkes Bay.
The Chef himself spent some time with the hunters to see their practises and was impressed.
Its garnished with some robust flavours in the shitake mushrooms, spicy pumkin puree, a goats curd, cavero nero and cherry relish.

You actually did not have fish cakes, we do have any on the menu.

You did in fact order waikane crab cakes with sauce gribiche lemon olive oil and micro herbs.
For you enjoyment we split the order and served them on two plates.

Some guest find the asparagus side dish is quite special as it comprises of 50% white asparagus and 50% green tossed lightly in a beurre blanc sauce.

Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

Went there for wed ann in February and was underwhelmed by staff and food. Staff is a hard one, but we really hung out for the food which didn't wow at all. So gave it a 2nd go last month. Nup. Is this the same owners as The Depot in Auckland? Because the difference is night and day. Staff don't seem to know how to make customers feel special - it's as if you're lucky to be there. Once again crowded next to another couple while other tables were empty ( actually over half the restaurant ). This time we asked to be moved - but we're told they were all reserved - yeah right darling! Ah well, Logan Brown you've taken over $400 of us in two visits- that's it my man lol

1  Thank buck8444
logie22, Owner at Logan Brown, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2013

We are so disappointed that this experience did not meet expectations.

The team do their very best to facilitate a memorable Logan Brown dining experience for every guest every time.
Everyone of them sincerely cares for our guests.

There is no reason why a guest would be refused a request to be seated at an alternative table.
It happens regularily. However sometimes guests request a specific table when booking so we do honour that promise by not giving it to some one else.

All our tables are quite different; some open and spacious and some snug in booths.
We appreciate that all guests have different preferences and do our best to match them to a suitable table but it is always possible.

If the writer of this review could contact steve@loganbrown.co.nz with a date and details I could certainly provide an explanation and a sincere apology from all the team.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

Logan Brown has clearly experienced a history of happy customers over time. However, restaurants that deserve the highest praise have the ability to extend their attention beyond the menu. Understandably, the chef himself, may not have taken a seat in the restaurant recently due to his demands within the kitchen. Even the numerous young staff members may not sit down very often due to being on their feet for the duration of their shift. However, should the patron's comfort be neglected or sacrificed just because those that work there have no idea how uncomfortable the seats are? I thought a customer's comfort would or should be considered an essential part of feeling adequately looked after during their dining experience? If I am correct about this aspect of things, then I have to say that sadly, the seating in this place has been neglected for some time. I had been to this restaurant three years ago and the second I entered the door, I 'felt' that things had changed significantly. I was ushered to the table next to the water refill station/stand where the waiting staff pour the jugs of water for all the restaurant's tables. It's a busy little hub. I had an ice bucket parked less than six inches from my head all night and felt that any moment the one balanced on the bench top above my left shoulder would fall at any moment; the only good that would have come of that would have been the cooling down of my seething at having been seated there in the first place. The actual seat was a cacky-coloured vinyl covered bench seat just like the ones found in cheap sandwich bars/cafes, but this one was in much worse condition. It sloped forward as if the remnants of the cushioning foam had been pushed to the edge of the seat. So I literally slipped forward into the table edge. If one is not comfortable whilst eating, it severely detracts from the reason for being there. There is nothing worse than having a sore bum whilst sipping an expensive champagne and nibbling a wild rabbit terrine for starters. By the time the mains arrived the discomfort was becoming unbearable so a cushion was requested. The request was fulfilled without any hesitation (or apology) leading me to believe this was not the first time someone had complained about the seating. Although the problem was conveyed to the lady at reception at the end of the evening, it was the giggling, the smile and assurance of passing it onto management, that I immediately interpreted as ' aint gonna happen.'
There is a lot of competition around these days so besides their bad seating, stark walls and total lack of ambience, young in-training waiting staff and unprofessional attitude when asked to pass on the message about the seat, Logan Brown will have to pull its socks up if it wants to retain it's reputation. They must realise there is more to customer satisfaction than enjoying a good meal - which can be had in so many other restaurants in the same precinct for a fraction of the price. In short, this restaurant is low on experienced professional customer service, it's sole redeeming feature as far as decor is concerned is the ceiling. It is relying solely on its food reviews which are now also over-rated, it is over-priced and no bottom should ever have to endure a hard and crappy old bench seat next to the water refill station.

1  Thank Kerrinkarl
logie22, Owner at Logan Brown, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

We are very sorry that this guest did not find her seat comfortable.
Our team apologised profusely and sincerely and immediately recorded the comments in the managers log book.
We always take any guests feed back seriously and act.

We offered to move the guests to a table with chairs but the offer was declined.

We always welcome guests requests for specific table requirements eg quiet table, booth table etc.
It is regrettable that this guest did not request chair seating on booking her third visit.

For the record we have never had anyone complain about the banquette seating before.
We do have a cushion on hand for guests who have back problems.

Never the less we are going to physically check all the seats to be sure they are comfortable.

The very professional and hospitable waiter was astounded by the comments considering 3 of the guests seated at the same table raved about their dining experience including the food and service