“Excellent Fair”
Review of Great India

Great India
Ranked #34 of 916 Restaurants in Wellington
Cuisines: Indian, Balti
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Wellington, New Zealand
“Excellent Fair”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Great service for a very large group of us, asked at their own initiative if any of the group had to leave early so they could ensure timely service, very attentive and professional, also very accomadating to and knowledgable of different dietary restrictions afew of the group and had and very helpful to the whole group with recommendations of dishes. The meal arrived very quick for the size of our group (15)and the food was delicious. Flavours where perfectly balance and this was throughout the dishes as we chopped and changed, will definitely return here soon!!

Visited January 2013

• Korean first
Melbourne
“Twice in 3 days. Enough said!”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

I had high hopes after this Wellington institution was recommended to me - this place has been in business for just about 30 years, so they must be doing something right.
I was greeted by the owner on arrival for a takeaway order. He was very friendly and talkative - turns out he is originally from Leicester, arguably the curry capital of England (except perhaps Manchester!), so we are off to a winner.
I find that southern hemisphere curries tend to be a lot 'cooler' than those I'm used to, so tend to go for vindaloo-style dishes.

My first visit I opted for a Madras, on the advice of the owner.
It was magnificent, full of wonderful aroma and a taste sensation. Naan bread was divine, clearly expertly cooked in a clay oven.

In terms of 'heat', I would say it was closer to 5 or 6/10. Very enjoyable, but not quite there IMO.

Two nights later I was on the prowl for a good meal again in Wellington, I was not planning to return, but as I walked past Great India I was drawn-in by their tractor-beam. Oh what the heck!

This time I ordered the Vindaloo.

Now, this is a pretty big call, but I have sampled curries in pretty much every city in Australia and New Zealand in the last 8 years I have been living here, and HANDS DOWN this is the best vindaloo, by a long shot.

Hotness? I'd say a good, healthy 8/10. Left my nose running slightly, warm sensations in the mouth, and left me wanting more.

As I sit here, two hours after the meal I am still luxuriating in the afterglow of a magnificent curry.

Now, seriously, this place may seem a little pricey, but go the extra few bucks for a curry that is out of this world, and a great portion size too.

Thanks Rajesh, I WILL return!

• Visited February 2013
UK
“Tasty, Spicy, Very Enjoyable”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

We eat Indian food a lot in UK, so were interested to try this NZ offering. Overall a superb meal. We had the Gehtu Masala (Lamb) from the Maharaja menu - tender meat with a dark, rich sauce and just the right amount of spice for a medium-heat curry. Aloo Gobi was perfectly done with cauliflower still crisp not mushy. Poppadums excellent with no taste of old cooking oil as happens in some places. Garlic Nan fresh & light. Medium white house wine very cheap but suprisingly full of flavour. The Manager was attentive & friendly & the service was efficient. What a pleasure to have 2 main dishes with their own distinctive flavours and enough "bite" in a medium spice.

• Visited February 2013
Hamilton & Waikato Region, New Zealand
“Big portions good food”
Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

Had a great time in great India. Abundant food and portions to go with it. Wishes we were hungrier but food was authentic and service excellent. Wine list was very comprehensive too.

Wellington, New Zealand
“eaten here several times - this and little india are best indians in welly”
Reviewed February 1, 2013

always a good meal. eaten here several times - this and little india are best indians in welly. good flavours.

Visited September 2012