“Orcs, Trolls, wizards, weapons and more”
Review of The Weta Cave

Wellington's Lord of the Rings Half Day Tour
Ranked #1 of 32 Shopping in Wellington
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Qualmark endorsed Weta Cave is your gateway to two immersive film-making experiences on the Miramar Peninsula: Our Weta Cave Workshop Tour provides a unique peek behind-the-scenes through windows into our Workshop. Our story of film-making creativity is told by members of our crew on a tour full of authentic props, models and weapons from The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit Motion Picture Trilogies, and more. They may even reveal a few of the secrets behind the movie magic! Step onto a live shooting stage for our guided Thunderbirds Are Go Behind-The-Scenes Experience. This journey into our latest handcrafted world, reveals the authentic set pieces, props, and models that bring to life this contemporary retelling of the beloved TV classic. FAB. A cavern of creativity, the Weta Cave shop also boasts sculptures made by the filmmakers at Weta Workshop, prop replicas, apparel, jewellery, books and more. While you’re here, take a seat for a free film about the history of film-making on the Miramar Peninsula. It screens throughout the day. Ticket prices for either the Weta Cave Workshop Tour or Thunderbirds Behind the Scenes Tour: Adults: $25, Children 6-12 years: $12, Infants (5 and under): FREE, Family Pass (2 adults + 2 children) $60
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Orcs, Trolls, wizards, weapons and more”
Reviewed February 5, 2014

I'm sure other reviewers have explained what Weta cave is, but briefly a workshop where a wide variety of film models are made, perhaps most notably those for Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit.
LOTR and the Hobbit are not my thing in a big way but I enjoyed the LOTR films. We took the tour of the workshop and this was very interesting. Led by one of the guys who works there on practically all of the models ever produced, he was very knowledgeable of all the manufacturing and finishing details and had a few amusing anecdotes along the way. If you have never experienced the work and detail that goes into film models then this walk is very enlightening and educational.

Visited February 2014

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“what an experience!”
Reviewed February 4, 2014

If you are travelling with teenage children (meaning things that you and your children are interested in could be vastly different!) and they are the LOTR fans, then I will highly recommend you to pay a visit to the Weta Cave and also do the workshop tour.

I uploaded our NZ travel photos last night and I can tell you that those photos taken at the Weta Cave are the only ones with all four of us smiling! It was hard to get my teenage daughter to have any photo taken with her in it and here at Weta Cave, she asked to have a couple taken (the only other ones were taken at Hobbiton). I think you get a sense of what the place is like and what you can expect from visiting this place by reading some other reviews but I think I will just share with you how much we have enjoyed the experience. We turned up late on a weekday (5 mins before 4pm), bought the tickets for the tour and then watched the short film afterwards. It wasn't that crowded. While some people commented that the goods in the shop were expensive, I wouldn't say they were cheap but some of them were really unique and may not be available elsewhere. I missed this attraction when I did my pre-trip planning and I was so glad the tourist booklet I picked up at the airport recommended a visit to the Weta Cave if you only have 1 day to spend in Wellington...... and the story about the establishment of the company is inspirational too :)

Pakenham, Australia
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Found my man!”

What a place this is!
We didn't have enough time to look through everything. I was totally blown away with what this place has to showcase. The staff are friendly, the souvenirs are fantastic and the chance to get some amazing photos with some amazing figures is wonderful.
The first sight of what this place has to offer is right at the front door.
And this is where I "Found my man!"

Virginia Beach, Virginia
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Must do the Window tour”
Reviewed February 3, 2014

There's not much to see/do at the Weta Cave, it's really nothing more than a souvenir shop, IMO. But the workshop is worth seeing. It's $20 for about a 45 minute tour to see some artists at work, creating models and props for various movies--Weta handles way more than LOTR. There are plenty of weapons, suits of armor and prosthetics from LOTR to satisfy most fans. They only take small groups in so it's a good idea to book ahead before you go. I'd also recommend a weekday visit, if possible, to see more artists at work than will be there on a weekend.

1 Thank DebN860
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Interesting. Very touristy.”
Reviewed February 3, 2014

I've rated the cave as a very good mostly for the interviews with the weta staff that are part of the tour. Guys, they really should pay you more. It was the best part of the whole experience, though it was great to get a look at all the props they have stored in the shed and a small peek at the workshop-cnc-blacksmithing area. When we went the place was flooded with tourists. The staff were taking many tours a day, and doing a very good job of it.