“Le Canard French restaurant in Wellington”
Review of Le Canard - CLOSED

Le Canard
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Whenever we visit Wellington we eat at Le Canard. It is excellent and the food absolutely delicious. Beetroot entree was perfect followed by twice cooked duck with garlic bread. This was not your usual garlic bread but a cubed and interesting addition with a kumara veloute. The small, perfect vegetables were amongst the best we have eaten. We shared a plate of French fries also excellent.
The pinot noir served with the meal was very good. Service and the ambiance in the attractive character building also very good.

Reviewed March 22, 2014

the Express lunch option varies daily & consists of bread, a main from the menu plus coffee. The service is always prompt efficient and friendly & there is plenty of parking in the large supermarket opposite. Restaurant is situated in an old Wellington villa & is perfect for treating yourself & your friend to a "ladies who lunch" event.
The food is authentic French as are the wines that accompany it. (These are not part of the express menu!) Visit & enjoy...

1  Thank Annfrew
Reviewed March 13, 2014

Went to le canard for lunch the other day for and was very impressed by the quality of their lunch menu.
A $35 set menu with one main course, a dessert, a glass of wine and some bread.
Our both mains were awesome, the bavette was cooked perfectly and my duck was amazing all served in time and in a good portion, we both had the potato gratin as a side and were very impressed with.
We had the crème brûlée and the chocolate mousse for dessert, both very good and well done !!

So a perfect lunch in a small and very cosy atmosphere while being served by a lovely french waitress. I really look forward to go back to le Canard for their degustation menu.

It was like eating back home all the flavors of my country in a plate.

Merci le Canard !

Reviewed March 12, 2014

The lunch menu, Formule Complète, provided plenty of choice of interesting dishes, well presented, reasonably priced including a glass of wine.

Unfortunately the standard of the food was not matched by that of the service.

The restaurant is small but the two waitresses had difficulty in coping. Only one took orders and manned the desk, the other seemingly restricted to toting dishes.

Our level of frustration (a party of eight for a celebratory lunch) reached a peak when a table of ten decided to settle their bills individually while our party was ignored for some twenty minutes (in response to my question 'Don't you have a one bill per table policy?' I was told yes but they wanted to pay separately!). As a result intended further wine orders were withheld.

Not up to expectations.

Reviewed February 11, 2014

I've been to this retaurant many times, last time I even proposed to my wife there - that is how special this place is. Let there be no mistake, this is not a pretentious and wannabe "French restaurant", this IS the French restaurant. The owner-chef Pascal and his wife Ophelie are an amazingly talented and young couple, who puts their entire heart and soul in their food, from sourcing it to presenting it. They have another chef there, Pierrot, who is just really outstanding. Their dishes revolve not just around duck (hence the name Le Canard), but their "Tout est bon dans le cochon" (my loose translation would be "everything is great in the pig") is mind-blowing. Then there is venison, their Otago clams, the amuse0bouche while you are waiting, their home made duck rilletes and all sorts of pates. The list is too long.

This is a very classy, yet unpretentious at the same time, food, which basks in simplicity, revels in taste and is surprisingly not too heavy on the wallet! I would eat there every day if I could - at least I do every time I visit Wellington, NZ. Go and check it out. It is the truest French peasant food, served with style, that you will struggle finding anywhere out of France. Wine list is amazing, too!

2  Thank stephen2d