“Creative dish, and great service”
Review of Le Canard - CLOSED

Le Canard
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Asia
“Creative dish, and great service”
Reviewed December 14, 2013

I have been to this place a few times. They offer different dishes from time to time, and always explain the dishes really well. Never disappointed. Strongly recommended.

• Visited February 2013

Wellington, New Zealand
“It's ok, but”
Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

Been to La Canard four times over the last few years, always good but this time I was disappointed. We had the 9 course Degustation menu with matching wines at NZD 200 per person. Ambiance was lovely, staff were lovely but the food, although beautifully presented lacked the flavour to push it into great. The lack of seasoning was apparent - and I very rarely add salt, the mainly puréed vegetable portions were too small to get a viable taste of the food - think 3 Brussels Sprout leaves on tiny little swirls of something puréed and you get the hint. As for the wine match, it was not good, the choice of an extraordinarily thin NZ wine from Marlborough was poor, and the use of a Bergerac with the duck was a total mistake, Bergerac being one of the "lack" wines from France, ie it lacks body, flavour and style and is a poor vin de pays in most cases. The meal was a disappointment, the portions did verge on the silly, and I accept that a tasting menu will always be small per portion but 3 Brussels Sprout leaves even leaves me wondering if the chef is taking the Michael. I shall give it one more chance but we will go a la carte next time.

Visited October 2013
Wellington NZ
“Fantastic Food, Great Value”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

This was our third choice of restaurant for our anniversary dinner after the first two were full - I'm glad they were! The quality of food is outstanding - it's not cheap but it is much cheaper than you would pay elsewhere for this quality. Service was impeccable.
We had a great time and will definitely be visiting again.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank HippoWellingtonNZ
“Nicely Done”
Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I went here for a wedding anniversary dinner. We had the 7 course degustation with wine pairings and it was great. All courses were perfectly presented and well balanced - the duck was delicious and the depth of flavour in the jus was tremendous. The standout dish was the mandarin dessert, with mandarin rice paper and crunchy (dried?) mandarin segments.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank expatbizzum
Wellington, New Zealand
“PERFECT.”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I have been here twice so far and I love it! When I think of the greatest places I have eaten, this place always comes in the top 5. The service is top notch, and the food is well designed by the chefs. You can see and taste every bit of effort the chefs put into their meals which is the main reason I love this place. The chefs and staff LOVE food and LOVE making food for people. Treat Yo Self to Le Canard!

• Visited May 2013