“Great view out the window - excellent for a hotel restaurant”
Review of Hippopotamus

Hippopotamus
Ranked #13 of 938 Restaurants in Wellington
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: When you are looking for a delicious dining experience in a stunning setting try QT Museum Wellington's flagship, French inspired restaurant – Hippopotamus. Our broad menu is peppered with a delicious mix of comfort food and fine-dining dishes that are designed to satisfy your hunger. Our skilled service team will weave their way in and out of your experience ready to recommend their favourite dish and aperitif. In our adjoining Cocktail Bar mixologists armed with all the hip, new cocktails and a host of firm favourites that can either be enjoyed while you dine, or as a pre and post dining spot.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great view out the window - excellent for a hotel restaurant”
Reviewed February 6, 2010

Good french food - marvellous fries - great view out the window and relaxed location and atmosphere. Wine list solid and well priced. We had a vegan at our table and the chef was happy to whip up a feed that suited his needs off menu with no fuss at all.

Wellington
“Very nice but not exceptional”
Reviewed February 5, 2010

I have found the hippopotamus to correspond to a good restaurant in France without being really exceptional. I was not really impressed by the menu but food was well presented and tasted very good. The wine list was good but not many French wive though. The restaurant decoration looks a bit old and antiquated.

Wellington, NZ
“Truely exceptional”
Reviewed November 13, 2009

I ate here with family in September while staying at the Museum hotel and even though I think I have quite high expectations when I eat out, Hippopotamus didn't disappoint in any way. I also didn't think I was a huge fan of French cuisine before I ate at Hippopotamus but their exceptional food has changed my mind! The wait staff were very attentive and I couldn't fault them for their level of professionalism, and the wine list was good too. I would thoroughly recommend Hippopotamus to anyone wanting to have a special occasion meal out or a romantic date. Its probably slightly too formal for a relaxed nosh-up with mates!

Wellington, New Zealand
“Very French - food, staff and the heavy decor”
Reviewed August 31, 2009

A surprising find: food is very French (I've travelled extensively in France) and excellent. The staff were terrific (all seemed to be French), but the decor is dreary (just like so many French restaurant, which look as if they've been decorated by the owners' great aunts). Definitely worth trying.