“Hit and miss”

Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Ah Soi you wind me up and let me down and wind me up and let me down and yet I keep returning because underneath it all you are quite fun.

Some days I wander in, searching for a drink and a bite to eat to be pleasantly seated in the bar area on comfortable chairs, brought tasty treats while I watch the planes coming and going, and become slowly insensible on a good list of craft beers. Yes.

Other days lunch is finished early and I have to leave. Sometimes I arrive and I am found to wait for my seat, wait for my service, wait for my beer, and wait for my food.

The food is usually good, however it is time for a new menu I think.

PS Asian beans are not snacks. No sir.

Reviewed March 1, 2012

What a surprise that an impromptu dinner should turn out to be so good. A lovely table in the conservatory which overhangs the water was a view that was unforgettable.

The starters were very good and the prices were excellent. All 8 of us agreed it was a very good meal. I can't wait to return again.

Reviewed February 14, 2012

Went here for Valentines day with my wife. lovely setting sitting over the water with views South facing and planes taking off over you. Food was delicious also although we had a set menu so didn't see the options available on a normal basis. Service was great too. Lovely place and would highly recommend.

Reviewed January 13, 2012

What a prime setting with great views over the waters of Evans Bay and planes wobbling overhead into the teeth of a howling northerly ! Sitting by the window was a good choice as it almost feels as though you are on the water.
The lunchtime menu was fairly extensive, and my Caesar salad with smoked chicken was perfect, crunchy cos lettuce, ditto croutons, plenty of chicken and bacon and a delicious dressing. My test for a good restaurant is whether they take note of my request for the dressing on the side, not smothering the salad, and Soi passed the test ~ it's amazing how many restaurants don't !
We were a large extended-family group and everyone was happy with their food, and the littlies were catered for with pictures to colour in. The service was excellent and friendly, and I like the way the bottles of water were replenished without us having to ask for them. Which is as it should be.
Highly recommended for lunch, and I can only assume dinner would be pretty much the same.

Reviewed December 15, 2011

Set in a small residential development at Greta Point, this is a nice restaurant with lovely views across Evans Bay. The menu is short and interesting and the food is good.