“...a special place.......in Welly...”

Aunty Mena's Vegetarian Cafe
Ranked #91 of 994 Restaurants in Wellington
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 8, 2016

It.s the best place to eat good food and an institution ,also a must for non vegetarians. But they just changed the opening times, close on Sundays for a while, as auntie Mena's is a bit stressed and tired :-)
It's always full,...so I don't mind if you don't go, just kidding :-)
There is not much to write,...just go, every dish is great !!!

Date of visit: May 2016

Reviewed April 26, 2016

Auntie Mena's offers a 100% vegetarian/vegan menu (almost unique in Wellington), primarily Malaysian in inspiration. It's cheap and cheerful in decor but the food is always good. Most meals are around the $12-15 which is good value for what you get. There is always an eclectic mix of customers which adds to its character. Recommended.

1  Thank AntonyT
Reviewed April 25, 2016

I’ve been meaning to check out Aunty Mean’s Vegetarian café for a while as I don’t eat a lot of meat and there aren’t many restaurants that hang their hats purely on a vegetarian menu. Plus its always been busy when Ive walked past.

Anyway, based on my one visit there I can’t really understand the deal with this place, or why its so busy.

Everything being brought out of the kitchen was an insipid brown colour. My meal was a (not particularly large) plate of noodles, with two or three pieces of soggy tofu and a few handfuls of beansprouts stirred through it. I asked for hot, this meal hadn’t seen even a whiff of a chilli. Tasteless, pretty uninspiring, and I left hungry. My partners meal must be in the running for the blandest laksa going, 95% soggy noodles 5% few soggy lumps of tofu.

I dont theyre the cheapest place (of this ilk) either, you’re paying for the “vegetarian” tag, and it was ridiculously hot in there. My disappointing noodles cost $13, as a comparison Mrs Kims Korean Kitchen do the most amazing deep fried tofu in chilli sauce with loads of little bits on the side cheaper than this.

I wont be going back.

2  Thank z1ggy_stardust
Reviewed April 14, 2016

My wife is the vegetarian of the family but I was very happy that we went to Auntie Mena's. Visiting from Sydney, we were enjoying the vibe in Cuba Street. The Curry Noodle and Nasi Goreng was amazingly tasty. From the food we saw being served around us, I wish we had had another opportunity to come again. A relaxed and inexpensive place to eat.

Reviewed April 11, 2016

Plenty of food but not especially interesting. Busy day so that may have contributed to the wait. Also, my food came some time before my husband's.

Date of visit: March 2016