“Only Veg place in Welly”

Aunty Mena's Vegetarian Cafe
Ranked #46 of 1,006 Restaurants in Wellington
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed December 14, 2012 via mobile

Went here last night for dinner as it was unplanned and we just wanted a basic fare. Place is basic inside, like more of a takeaway joint but I think they meant their food to do the talking for them. Had the dumplings to start and this was average as I cook this from the packets you can buy in grocery or asian stores. I had the dumpling curry laksa soup for mains and this was super tasty. Serving portion was medium and had good amount of dumplings, brocolli, carrots, cabbage, bean sprouts and tofu (would have preferred maye bigger slices of this). Partner had the roti chenai with rice and he said it was good as well although probably not as good as mine I guess as he kept eating my food! Haha. Place was full when we got there which is a good sign. It is worth a try if you want an inexpensive meal ie $12-18 mains and not after fancy restos and like to see how vegetarian fare is. We paid like $35 for us both.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

The food is excellent and good value! Really yummy, good selection of Malaysian-style vegetarian food. Handy location on Cuba Street. Simple decor but friendly staff! I can't wait to eat here again!!

Reviewed August 29, 2012

Very tasty vegetarian food. Nothing fancy so I wouldn't go here for a special occasion but it is worth a visit if you're just looking for a meal.

Very inexpensive cuisine.

Reviewed May 10, 2012

It's very quiet and unassuming but that's what I love about it. It's all about the food and atmosphere, not appearances. They serve vegan friendly vegetarian food which is cooked in front of you as you order. My sister recommended that I visit while I was in Wellington and I'm glad I did. It's good value for money and the atmosphere is extremely chilled out thanks to the lovely staff. Go there!!

Reviewed May 8, 2012

Fantastically yummy food for meat eaters, vegetarians and vegans alike! Great variety & freshness. Basic decor but adds to the experience. If you take a carnivore make them taste the chicken drumsticks!! Great family atmosphere and the older gentlemen that works there is the Man!