“A lovely elegant treat.”
Review of Somerset Cottage

Somerset Cottage
Ranked #63 of 409 Restaurants in Tauranga
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Somerset would have to be one of the best restaurants in New Zealand. We know about Rick and Annes passion for food and their attention to finding high quality ingredients that go into the meals as we attend the Cook Schools that they run. We can be assured that we can have our favourites when we go or something else new and delicious. New combinations are worth trying although I only ever have the pate and the pickled orange.
Service is very good and discrete and we are treated like friends when we arrive.
Somerset quality is worth a few extra dollars as it is way above others.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

Hard to find the very discrete sign for out of town visitors on a dark night. A warm welcome inside and seating in a secluded space, of which there are several such spaces which makes for a quieter atmosphere than many restaurants. Good selection of wines and a satisfactory interesting menu but all rather pricey. The meals were very well presented and looked attractive. The waitresses were attentive .

Reviewed April 19, 2013

This is fine dining without any "stuffiness". The atmosphere is relaxed in this iconic Tauranga restaurant. Somerset is located on Bethlehem Road in the suburb of Bethlehem about 5 minutes drive from the Tauranga City centre. This is one of the longest established restaurants in the Bay of Plenty but still the quality remains high.
My wife and I ate here to celebrate a special occasion. The menu includes some dishes that have been nominated by customers as signature dishes that cannot be removed. My wife chose the sautéed calamari favourite (one of the signature dishes) while I opted for something that sounded a bit different (mussels and tomato soup). I was very pleased with my tasty dish.
For mains we had the oven roasted duck with vanilla kumara mash with orange and the oven baked chicken with figs. They list menu options for the day in addition to the dishes that must remain.
We shared toffee date dessert to finish.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

Lovely cosy ambience in an old cottage in Bethlehem. Anassuming from the exterior, the service, food and wine are amazing. Although one of the more expensive places to eat in Tauranga, it is also my favourite and is well worth every cent. Definitely my first choice on special occassions.

1  Thank brutasaurus
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Somerset Cottage is definitely the place to visit if you want to experience fine dining.
Impeccable service, world class food (I definitely recommend the Oven Roasted Duck - absolutely mouthwatering & sooo tender!) & a very warm, inviting atmosphere.

Prices were reasonable in regard to quality/presentation of food (averaging around the $40 mark for mains). Price came to approximately $190 for 3 people - 1 x bread starter, 3 x mains, 2 x desserts, additional veges, 1 x drink (BYO wine). Looking forward to visiting again.

NB Somerset also runs cooking classes.